Author Topic: Harvard studies shows the Left's anti-Iraq liberation agenda kills US soldiers  (Read 8041 times)

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Yes I suppose it is "interesting" for me to decide what I feel are points I want to highlight in an article I post.

What gets highlighted compared to what doesn't says something about your thinking process. 

I agree....Kinda like how the MSM "reports" stories as well.  So much more telling in what's ommitted vs what's written down.

"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Universe Prince

• Of course liberty isn't safe; but it is good.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:

What gets highlighted compared to what doesn't says something about your thinking process.

Well duh, lol, thats why I highlight it, to show thats where my points lie.

Not at all what I was talking about.

In any case, my point remains, the article taken in context and as a whole does not support the subject line.

Well thats your opinion, I think the article very much does support the subject line.

At no point does the article say what your chosen subject line claims, and the portion of the article I specifically quoted contradicts your chosen subject line.
Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever.
--Hieronymus Karl Frederick Baron von Munchausen ("The Adventures of Baron Munchausen" [1988])--

Universe Prince

• View Profile
  • Liked:

No it is not at all a deflection. It's called exposing a fallacy in the logic of one of your statements.

That might be true, except that it's false. You did not expose a fallacy but did attempt to turn aside a criticism to someone else.
Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever.
--Hieronymus Karl Frederick Baron von Munchausen ("The Adventures of Baron Munchausen" [1988])--

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
I wonder if you can you convince XO of this?
I think he believes Bush is to "blame for the killings".

===========================================
Whose stupidity sen them there?

Whose incompetency has them still there after five years?
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
    • "The Religion Of Peace"
  • Liked:
I agree....Kinda like how the MSM "reports" stories as well. 
So much more telling in what's ommitted vs what's written down.

Plus SIRS I didn't omit anything, the entire article is there, it's all there 100% in normal font for the reader.
Bolding is not anything like ommitting information.
It's funny, UP even admits he posts excerpts (which I very, very rarely do)
Posting excerpts is much more limiting for a reader to get the whole picture, than simply bolding certain sentences.
"Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!" - Ronald Reagan - June 12, 1987

Universe Prince

• View Profile
  • Liked:

It's funny, UP even admits he posts excerpts (which I very, very rarely do)
Posting excerpts is much more limiting for a reader to get the whole picture, than simply bolding certain sentences.

I do post links to the articles from which I take excerpts, so there is nothing to stop anyone from reading the articles in their entirety. And posting excerpts not only generally keeps my post short, it also is more likely within the bounds of fair use than posting an entire article.

But again, you're deflecting.

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
  • Liked:
I do post links to the articles from which I take excerpts, so
there is nothing to stop anyone from reading the articles in their entirety.

Yes for but for people in a hurry, like at work, they will have a far
greater chance of missing some of the bigger picture as they quickly glance.
But you seem to enjoy making things harder on people.

And posting excerpts not only generally keeps my post short,
it also is more likely within the bounds of fair use than posting an entire article.

Is that kind of like if you tear just a page out of book and steal it
it's better than stealing the whole chapter?  ::)

But again, you're deflecting

But again, you're lying.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
Is that kind of like if you tear just a page out of book and steal it
it's better than stealing the whole chapter?  ::)

No. Perhaps you should read up on Fair Use.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
  • Liked:
At no point does the article say what your chosen subject line claims.

Thats like saying an article on the New York Giants winning the Super Bowl
does not specifically say they are the best team in the world, so you can't
say that? LoL, yeah sure. Plus the article does in fact basically state
my chosen title, which is in fact true and I have always known to be
true long before this study ever came out. Obviously the enemy
loves people in the US that despise our military and do everything
possible to sabotage our military with funding, recruiting, and protests.

and the portion of the article I specifically quoted contradicts your
chosen subject line

No it actually makes it even stronger!
In the part you quote they actually say "the cost was outweighed by the benefits of vigorous debate".
What are "the costs" of increased attacks against our soldiers?

What side of the political isle pushes the agenda of "anti resolve" for the Iraq war
which the studies concludes causes increased attacks against our soldiers?
« Last Edit: March 20, 2008, 03:06:42 PM by ChristiansUnited4LessGvt »

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
  • Liked:
No. Perhaps you should read up on Fair Use.

No perhaps you should.

Fair use is decided on a case by case basis.

But I must admit, he is clever about defending his way
of highlighting things vs. mine, pretending he is doing
it for some legal reason, as if we are about to be
served subpoenas to appear in court over posting
articles to discuss in this non-profit entity.  ::)

« Last Edit: March 20, 2008, 03:12:12 PM by ChristiansUnited4LessGvt »

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
No perhaps you should.

Fair use is decided on a case by case basis.

Which is why he said "And posting excerpts not only generally keeps my post short, it also is more likely within the bounds of fair use than posting an entire article." The less you quote, the more likely a judge would rule that your use was "fair use".

I've been intimately involved with publishing; I understand fair use pretty well.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Al Quieda plus every potential ally it can expect to get bring a tiny fraction of the US military poweress to the game , yet Osama Bin Laden did declare war on us before hardly any of us had ever heard of him.

Osama thinks he learned something from the conflict in Vietnam , Americans can loose in their hometowns everything they win in the battlefeild, if we are less motivated to fight he can win by simply makeing the fight last a long time.

So yes , the signs that his stratergey is working make a lot of diffrence to his leadership , his recruiting and his troop morale , a US presenting a uninted frount would concevably win a conflict like this a lot sooner ....

....Because there is no expectation from any quarter that the Al Queda will win based on its strength ,

....But there is still hope on their poart that they will acheive their aims by simply holding out a long time.

What Osama Bin Laden did not learn from VietNam...

Ho Chi Minh was never stupid enough to attack the Americans at their home.

A War that lasts so long as is needed to exaust the will of the larger opponent , also exausts the resorces and strength of the smaller opponent even worse , such that the victor can take generations to recover from the war while the looser recovers relitively shortly.

I don't favor the sort of censorship that was approved during WWII , it might save lives and win the war sooner , but it has a high cost we don't need to pay , the war lasting a long time has a presently hidden benefit that may become the main effect though no one intended it , our opponents, if they perservere, might loose a generation .

Universe Prince

• View Profile
  • Liked:

Yes for but for people in a hurry, like at work, they will have a far greater chance of missing some of the bigger picture as they quickly glance.

Folks with that little time probably are not going to have time to read the entire article even if I posted the entire article.

But you seem to enjoy making things harder on people.

I have no idea why you might think so.

And posting excerpts not only generally keeps my post short, it also is more likely within the bounds of fair use than posting an entire article.

Is that kind of like if you tear just a page out of book and steal it it's better than stealing the whole chapter?

No. More like the less content copied the more likely it is to be considered fair use.

At no point does the article say what your chosen subject line claims.

Thats like saying an article on the New York Giants winning the Super Bowl does not specifically say they are the best team in the world, so you can't say that?

No. It's more like saying that an article about people who have objections to mandatory application of a cervical cancer vaccine does not support a subject line of "Republicans want women to get cancer". The article does not say what your subject line claims.

Plus the article does in fact basically state my chosen title,

Then point out to me the sentence from the article that says "the Left's anti-Iraq liberation agenda kills US soldiers".

Plus the article does in fact basically state my chosen title, which is in fact true and I have always known to be true long before this study ever came out.

So you're reading into the article what you want to see. Okay, that clears things up.

and the portion of the article I specifically quoted contradicts your chosen subject line

No it actually makes it even stronger!
In the part you quote they actually say "the cost was outweighed by the benefits of vigorous debate".

Let's take a closer, in context look, shall we?

"Our data suggests that there is a small, but measurable cost" to "anything that provides information about attitudes towards the war."

But he added the cost was outweighed by the benefits of vigorous debate about military undertakings.

"There's a body of research, which we cite ... that suggests that public debate about strategy helps the military to fight wars more effectively," he said.

Public debate about strategy helps the military fight wars more effectively. Benefits of debate results in more effective fighting. So, there is a benefit to public debate? Hm.

What are "the costs" of increased attacks against our soldiers?

What side of the political isle pushes the agenda of "anti resolve" for the Iraq war which the studies concludes causes increased attacks against our soldiers?

I'll say again what I said before. No soldier in Iraq has ever been shot by an "anti-Iraq liberation agenda". We need to keep the blame for killing where it belongs, with actual people who do the actual killing.

as if we are about to be served subpoenas to appear in court over posting articles to discuss in this non-profit entity.

Being non-profit is not a guarantee of protection from copyright violation lawsuits.

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
  • Liked:
The less you quote, the more likely a judge would rule that your use was "fair use".

Exactly, the key words being MORE LIKELY.

I don't believe him anyway.
I think he does excerpts for other reasons.

I've been intimately involved with publishing; I understand fair use pretty well.

That great, but so do the lawyers on both sides of Fair Use lawsuits
and often they dont agree on what constitutes Fair Use.

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
  • Liked:
The article does not say what your subject line claims.

Yes the data within the article does in fact show the subject line as being true.