Author Topic: Tell Me Again Why Domestic Spying is Good?  (Read 12537 times)

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Tell Me Again Why Domestic Spying is Good?
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2008, 04:25:50 PM »
Sorry, Jack, but 9-11 did not change everything.
As far as I am concerned, it only installed a crew of pompous pests at the airport, turning checking in from being an annoyance to being a more terrifying nuisance.

I question that  the freeperfile exists, and I question that even i9f it does, it is relevant.

The snooping by the State Dept. employees was pretty certainly a fishing expedition by some prospective swiftboaters, who, like so many people in Juniorbush's intelligence corps, are bloody incompetent. If Clinton did it, it was also wrong, and that is no excuse.

"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2008, 05:08:10 PM »
The snooping by the State Dept. employees was pretty certainly a fishing expedition by some prospective swiftboaters, who, like so many people in Juniorbush's intelligence corps, are bloody incompetent.

I think that it was a swiftboater fishing expedition on McCain, and they accessed the files of Hillary and Obama to cover their tracks.

Explains the facts just as well as your hypothesis. It's not like the Clintons haven't done similar stuff before...
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2008, 05:10:45 PM »
Touche'.  Wasn't the head of this dept on Passports an ambassador or some other high ranking Presidentially appointed position by Clinton?

"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2008, 05:49:55 PM »
I do not give a sh*t.
So far as I am concerned, all the annoyance caused by the Homeland Security clowns came into being during Juniorbush, and I am aiming all my blame at him and his henchmen, flunkies, dolts and stormtroopers
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2008, 06:03:11 PM »
I thought this was a State Dept debacle?  That came into being ............. 1787, right?  So, apparently Xo has an annoyance with those flunkie founders and storm troopers under President Washington
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
    • "The Religion Of Peace"
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2008, 07:20:28 PM »
what are you worried about XO?

they don't care if you spend all your time calling 1-900 numbers.  ;)

"Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!" - Ronald Reagan - June 12, 1987

Universe Prince

• Of course liberty isn't safe; but it is good.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2008, 11:56:45 AM »

they don't care if you spend all your time calling 1-900 numbers.

I know ChristiansUnited4LessGvt is ignoring me, but I feel like I ought to say this anyway. The problem doesn't rest with whether or not they care who one calls, but whether or not they are listening. The peeping tom may not care if he sees someone, say, darning socks, but it's still a problem that he's trying to watch. The stalker may not care if the person he stalks, say, goes to the laundromat, but that the stalker is stalking is still a problem. The government may not care if one calls 900 numbers or QVC, but if the government is listening anyway, that is still a problem.
Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever.
--Hieronymus Karl Frederick Baron von Munchausen ("The Adventures of Baron Munchausen" [1988])--

fatman

« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2008, 12:29:48 PM »
The reason that this issue bothers me so much is that by all accounts, these people were just curious and weren't out to cause harm.  If someone wasn't just curious and was out to do someone harm, seems to me that they would be more careful about the file access and may get through undetected.  It did take 2 months for some of these breaches to come to light after all.

Universe Prince

• Of course liberty isn't safe; but it is good.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2008, 12:50:01 PM »

The reason that this issue bothers me so much is that by all accounts, these people were just curious and weren't out to cause harm.  If someone wasn't just curious and was out to do someone harm, seems to me that they would be more careful about the file access and may get through undetected.  It did take 2 months for some of these breaches to come to light after all.

I agree. This is very troubling. I keep hearing assurances that the government is putting in place new rules, but when the old rules were not followed, I have little reason to trust the new ones will accomplish much. As someone else said, it's like having rules that say follow the rules. This is why I believe we should have transparent, or at least translucent, government, rather than a secretive one. The saying is if you're not doing anything wrong you have nothing to hide. I suggest that should be applied not to the citizens, but to the government.
Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever.
--Hieronymus Karl Frederick Baron von Munchausen ("The Adventures of Baron Munchausen" [1988])--

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2008, 01:45:35 PM »
Chief of firm involved in breach is Obama adviser

From Kate Bolduan
CNN

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- The CEO of a company whose employee is accused of improperly looking at the passport files of presidential candidates is a consultant to the Barack Obama campaign, a source said Saturday.

John O. Brennan, president and CEO of the Analysis Corp., advises the Illinois Democrat on foreign policy and intelligence issues, the source said.

Brennan briefed the media on behalf of the campaign this month.

The executive is a former senior CIA official and former interim director of the National Counterterrorism Center.

He contributed $2,300 to the Obama campaign in January.

When asked about the contribution, a State Department official told CNN's Zain Verjee, "We ethically awarded contracts. Political affiliation is not one of the factors that we check."

On Friday, the department revealed that Obama's passport file was improperly accessed three times this year, and the security of passport files of the two other major presidential candidates -- Democrat Hillary Clinton and Republican John McCain -- had also been breached. VideoWatch the secretary of state apologize for the breach ?

Three contract emplyees are accused in the wrongdoing, including the one who works for Analysis Corp. and who was disciplined. That contract employee accessed McCain's file in addition to Obama's. None of the contract employees was identified. Learn more about the companies involved ?

The other two contract employees worked for Stanley Inc. They were fired.

The Washington Times, which broke the story Thursday night that Obama's records had been improperly accessed, reported Saturday that the State Department inquiry is focusing on the Analysis Corp. employee. Also, the investigation by the department's inspector general will include polygraph tests for supervisors in the passport section to find out whether there was any political motive.

The department spokesman said Saturday that he would not comment on whether the department was administering polygraphs to employees in connection with the investigation.

"While this is a rare occurrence, we regret the unauthorized access of any individual's private information," the company said Friday in a statement.

Stanley has had contracts with the department since 1992 and was recently awarded a $570 million contract to continue providing support for passport processing. Its CEO, Philip Nolan, contributed $1,000 to the Clinton campaign. VideoWatch how contractor execs are linked to campaigns ?

The department official said the three contract employees worked in three offices in the Washington area. One office does consular work and visas on evenings, holidays, weekends and overnights; another office issues passports; the third office scans and files materials.

The source said there has been no problem in the past with the Analysis Corp. employee, who has "extensive" experience. The worker has been with the company for years and has always worked under a State Department contract.

Explaining that the department had "complimented" this person for work in the past, the source said the individual is considered a "terrific" employee, except for this one instance, characterized as an "aberration."

The department asked the Analysis Corp. not to take any administrative action against the employee while the investigation is under way.

On Friday, the company released a statement saying it would fully cooperate with the federal investigation. The source said the Analysis Corp. has told the employee to do the same.

Echoing the State Department spokesman Friday, this source said there is no indication the motivation was anything but curiosity.

The source said Analysis Corp. learned of its employee's actions from the State Department on Friday morning. In its statement, Analysis Corp. confirmed that one of the accused was an employee and called the incident "isolated."

CNN's Zain Verjee contributed to this report.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/03/22/passport.files/index.html

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2008, 02:04:26 PM »
Oooops

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
    • "The Religion Of Peace"
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2008, 02:19:25 PM »

they can listen to all my phone calls
if they can keep the IslamoNazis from killing me

"Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!" - Ronald Reagan - June 12, 1987

hnumpah

• You have another think coming. Use it.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2008, 02:22:24 PM »
Chief of firm involved in breach is Obama adviser

So?

What was the employee's political affiliation? I'd be more interested in that, since he was the one who committed the breach. And actually, since the breach was apparently only out of curiosity, even that wouldn't matter much to me - just make sure he is appropriately punished for what he did.
"I love WikiLeaks." - Donald Trump, October 2016

hnumpah

• You have another think coming. Use it.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2008, 02:27:31 PM »
they can listen to all my phone calls
if they can keep the IslamoNazis from killing me

Those who give up essential liberties for temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.~Benjamin Franklin
"I love WikiLeaks." - Donald Trump, October 2016

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2008, 02:27:50 PM »
Apparently the political affiliation of the higher ups in the contract companies only matters if they support Obama. Notice the revelation of the Clinton connection below the fold.

And i don't see this as an example of domestic spying, this is an example of abuse of access.

Much ado about nada