Author Topic: Typical White Person  (Read 752 times)

R.R.

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Typical White Person
« on: March 21, 2008, 08:25:49 PM »
A "Typical White Person"?!

I've expressed admiration for Barack Obama's political skills, but maybe, in a time of stress, his inexperience is beginning to show. In an interview earlier today, he referred to his grandmother--the one he slandered in his speech on Tuesday--as a "typical white person."

Think about it: can you imagine any Presidential candidate, in any context, describing anyone as a "typical black person?" Or a "typical Asian person?" Worse, what Obama said was that the "typical white person" views others of different races with fear and suspicion. Obama appears to be digging himself in deeper and deeper.

http://www.powerlineblog.com/archives2/2008/03/020088.php

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Typical White Person
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2008, 08:29:04 PM »
Well, she probably WAS typical of a White lady of her age. My grandmother was a lot more prejudiced than that. But then she was born in 1892.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

fatman

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2008, 09:13:00 PM »
Three of my grandparents came over directly from Europe.  The fourth was second generation Irish.  The only one that could be remotely considered racist was my Scottish grandmother, who, especially in my grandfather's presence, would refer to blacks as "smoked Irishmen".

Cynthia

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2008, 12:26:13 AM »
Well, she probably WAS typical of a White lady of her age. My grandmother was a lot more prejudiced than that. But then she was born in 1892.

Is it the sign of these political racial times, or just comforting to hear that a candidate can criticize his grandmother? 

Do we tolerate any high powered individual when he/she points out that there is a "Typical" within any race of people? Is it a  double standard at work or just a poor choice of words?
What if  Hillary were to say-- "Typical black man".
What if someone were to refer to Richardson as a typical Mexicano because he presents winning Biscochitos for an official Christmas celebration, as he did recently...*(They were a big hit)*

Words, expressions, acceptable in certain "times"....?

Clinton is compared to McCarthy ?  Another set of choice words, indeed. Yi yi yi yi Yi.

Words are delecate dancers woven throughout the thread of elections.

Not your typcial WORDS of yesteryear. 

Remember "I Like Ike"?

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2008, 12:38:00 AM »