Author Topic: The truth about the World  (Read 924 times)

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
The truth about the World
« on: March 28, 2008, 03:49:30 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efjcrbNcW6s

The Mercator projection is highly inaccurate.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
Re: The truth about the World
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2008, 04:32:43 PM »
The Mercator projection is highly inaccurate.

YouTube is blocked at work, so I haven't seen the video yet. But I have to comment on this.

Duh.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Universe Prince

• Of course liberty isn't safe; but it is good.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2008, 04:38:49 PM »
The argument made in the video is that the Mercator projection is somehow partly to blame for the world's ills. It makes Europe look bigger than it is, thereby feeding a West-centric view of the world that somehow keeps the rest of the world down and poor. While I agree there are more accurate map projections than Mercator, I find the notion that Mercator is some how responsible for the West dominating the world to be ridiculous. But then, I think it was supposed to be.
Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever.
--Hieronymus Karl Frederick Baron von Munchausen ("The Adventures of Baron Munchausen" [1988])--

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2008, 04:42:31 PM »
Then, by that standard, Russia, Greenland and Canada should rule the world. They are the most distorted.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2008, 05:42:26 PM »
I don't think Mercator himself is to blame for this. But it is nonetheless true that a distorted view of the physical world also serves to distort ideas about the world.

The world is a sphere, and a map must be flat. Therefore, it really isn't possible to have an undistorted view of the world.
The Peters projection flattens the northern tiers of latitudes excessively.

Here is a discussion of projections:

http://www.hypermaths.org/quadibloc/maps/mapint.htm

The polyconic projections seem to have the least distortion. The importan thing to remember is that every square outlined by longitudes and latitudes is a square exactly as large as all other squares.

I thought that this was an interesting presentation. After all, Greenland a LOT smaller than South America or Africa.

"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."