Author Topic: When?  (Read 32750 times)

Universe Prince

• Of course liberty isn't safe; but it is good.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: When?
« Reply #60 on: April 01, 2008, 12:18:57 AM »

Yes the buck stops at his desk and hopefully
he will attack Iran before his term runs out.

So then we'll be fighting on three fronts: Afghanistan, Iraq and Iran. And that would be a good idea because...?

Yes, I know ChristiansUnited4LessGvt is supposedly ignoring me (still not sure why), so the floor is open to anyone with an answer to the question.

I'll be back to look for answers after I watch Top Gear. (Anyone else watch that show? I only just recently started watching it on BBC America, and it is one of the funniest and most entertaining shows I've seen.)
« Last Edit: April 01, 2008, 12:22:15 AM by Universe Prince »
Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever.
--Hieronymus Karl Frederick Baron von Munchausen ("The Adventures of Baron Munchausen" [1988])--

Cynthia

« Reply #61 on: April 01, 2008, 01:03:14 AM »
Why ?

Dead for no good reason is always pitiful, BT.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #62 on: April 01, 2008, 03:15:43 AM »
As I recall President Bush told the nation the war on terror would be a long one. One that might last generations. So it WAS supposed to last this long! Perhaps longer still.

The war on terror, yes, they said that would last a long time. The Iraq war, on the other hand, was going to be quick, a few weeks, or at most a few months. And that is why we should not call what is happening now the Iraq war. The Iraq war is done. It did happen quickly. What is happening now is something else.

Could you PLEASE pass that bit of info on to messers Cynthia, Lanya, and Xo?  They seem hell bent on making that point clear as mud

"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Universe Prince

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #63 on: April 01, 2008, 04:29:43 AM »

Could you PLEASE pass that bit of info on to messers Cynthia, Lanya, and Xo?  They seem hell bent on making that point clear as mud

Rich too, apparently.

I get what you're saying, Sirs, but quite frankly, I blame the current President and administration for not pointing it out. They seem unwilling to differentiate between the Iraq war and the current status of Iraq. Maybe they have, but I've missed it if they have. They, like Rich, seem to want to confuse the current conflict in Iraq with the Iraq war and both of those together with the war on terror as a whole. So they have only themselves to blame for the way this whole public debate has been framed.
Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever.
--Hieronymus Karl Frederick Baron von Munchausen ("The Adventures of Baron Munchausen" [1988])--

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #64 on: April 01, 2008, 04:51:05 AM »

I get what you're saying, Sirs, but quite frankly, I blame the current President and administration for not pointing it out.

So, how was I able to figure it out so easily, right from the get go?

"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #65 on: April 01, 2008, 07:30:51 AM »
Dead for no good reason is always pitiful, BT.

The opportunity for a stable Middle-East is not a good reason?

That seems to be a myopic and selfish attitude to me.

Rich

« Reply #66 on: April 01, 2008, 11:52:19 AM »
>>A 'war' that is worth fighting for comes about in that context, when a person is directly assulted..hand to hand.<<

Pardon me, but that's just dumb.

Rich

« Reply #67 on: April 01, 2008, 11:53:52 AM »
>>Are battles fought in a war separate from the whole. That depends on what you mean by "separate". They are a part, not the whole.<<

Prince, I have to say, that is as close as I've ever heard you come to questioning the meaning of the word "is."

Rich

« Reply #68 on: April 01, 2008, 11:57:24 AM »
>>Rich too, apparently.<<

<chuckle>

Well, if you want to disqualify everything anyone in the adminstration has ever said regarding the war in Iraq, then fine, I guess the war on terror is confined to ... where?

Cynthia

« Reply #69 on: April 01, 2008, 12:44:05 PM »
>>A 'war' that is worth fighting for comes about in that context, when a person is directly assulted..hand to hand.<<

Pardon me, but that's just dumb.

Chuckle...

I thought so too.

War is just dumb.

Cynthia

« Reply #70 on: April 01, 2008, 12:49:05 PM »

Yes the buck stops at his desk and hopefully
he will attack Iran before his term runs out.

So then we'll be fighting on three fronts: Afghanistan, Iraq and Iran. And that would be a good idea because...?

Yes, I know ChristiansUnited4LessGvt is supposedly ignoring me (still not sure why), so the floor is open to anyone with an answer to the question.

I'll be back to look for answers after I watch Top Gear. (Anyone else watch that show? I only just recently started watching it on BBC America, and it is one of the funniest and most entertaining shows I've seen.)

Top Gear? Sounds fun.

Iran is not a country we want to invade! My god. Christian, what are you thinking?

Cynthia

« Reply #71 on: April 01, 2008, 12:50:51 PM »

Rich too, apparently.

I get what you're saying, Sirs, but quite frankly, I blame the current President and administration for not pointing it out. They seem unwilling to differentiate between the Iraq war and the current status of Iraq. Maybe they have, but I've missed it if they have. They, like Rich, seem to want to confuse the current conflict in Iraq with the Iraq war and both of those together with the war on terror as a whole. So they have only themselves to blame for the way this whole public debate has been framed.

WOW!
SPot on, Universe Prince.

Spot on post!

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #72 on: April 01, 2008, 01:22:53 PM »
Spot on??  Ok, so then I assume now then, you realize you were wrong in trying to lay claim to mission accomplished as equating it to being the near end of our being in Iraq, right?  I was able to grasp the difference immediately.  I can only speculate as to why so may others are unable, or worse, unwilling, to

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #73 on: April 01, 2008, 02:10:36 PM »
War is just dumb.

Sounds like a bumper sticker.

and carries as much weight

Universe Prince

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #74 on: April 01, 2008, 02:20:17 PM »

So, how was I able to figure it out so easily, right from the get go?

I don't know. But if you can show me quotes of the President and/or those in his administration saying and clearly delineating that the Iraq war is done and what is happening in Iraq now is not a war, I'll be happy to revise my opinion.