Author Topic: it is that bad  (Read 2122 times)

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: it is that bad
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2008, 01:18:44 PM »
In Santo Domingo, I have seen domestic chickens fly up and roost in trees. They say that they have to clip their wings so they won't fly farther away. They are tough and rather leathery compared with the Colonel's fowl.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2008, 01:46:01 PM »
I think you gotta slow cook them like a rooster if there that tough.
I think a lime & tomato sauce marinade for 2 hours before cooking to breakdown the muscles abit.
a fruity red wine would be good.
hows that sound?

fatman

« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2008, 01:52:47 PM »
I think you gotta slow cook them like a rooster if there that tough.
I think a lime & tomato sauce marinade for 2 hours before cooking to breakdown the muscles abit.
a fruity red wine would be good.
hows that sound?

I'm assuming that you're still talking about rabbits here.  I've never eaten a rabbit bought at a supermarket, if most supermarkets even sell them.  I don't have a problem with rabbit being tough as I usually butcher when they're through with weaning.  To butcher later means that the feed:weight ratio declines (often dramatically) and the meat will become tougher.  When my rabbits are through weaning, they average about 3-4 lbs.  My breeders typically weigh 5-6 pounds, so I'm not losing much and saving money and taste.

Your recipe sounds fine, though a white wine may be better as rabbit is a white meat, similar to pork or chicken.  Then again, if you're cooking it with a tomato marinade, or like a cacciatore, stick with a red.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Rabbits
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2008, 05:55:33 PM »
When my daughter was young, she loved rabbits. Someone gave us Fred the Bunny and we went to the Dade County Rabbit Breeders' meetings a couple of times. It was deeply weird: the organization would say a few words, and then split into two groups: those who raised rabbits for food (mostly white albino rabbits) and those who liked bunnies for pets and liked to cuddle and stroke them.

A neighborhood dog did in Fred, a two-tone B&W bunny, and Juliette, a black angora, and then Jackie and Blackie a pair of I forget what sort of shiny-haired bunnies, I forgot what variety they were. The dogs did not get into the cage I built after Fred was murdered, they just scared the poor things to death.

After that I gave up.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2008, 06:11:57 PM »
damn
another dog kills pet story
my niece lost her ginea pig last month by dog.
I can`t tell you how many times I hear someone losing a pet from a dog.
and not just pets,but bushes & small trees get destroyed also.

fatman

« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2008, 08:55:34 PM »
Rabbits don't like any kind of disturbance.  This is especially true when they're pregnant or nesting.  My neighbor had a difficult time keeping his pit bull mix out of my yard.  I shouldn't say had a difficult time, more like he didn't care.  Three times I warned him, three times it was "Ah, I'll take care of it" and back he went to his beer.  The fourth time, I loaded the dog up myself (it was friendly) and drove it down to the pound myself.  Needless to say, my neighbor won't talk to me anymore, nor does his dog stray into my yard.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2008, 09:40:41 PM »
I don`t blame the dog
but the pitbull owner (not all)is the worst kind of dog owner around.
they give dog owners a bad name.
if the dog bites a neighbor kid,he`ll yell at the kid for bothering his dog.
he yell at anyone who looks at his dog.
and not just pitbulls,but any dog with a potential of great violence.
I got yelled at for petting a german shepard,because the owner doesn`t want the dog to pick the bad habit for being nice to people.
he was always a a$$hole and  I laugh when I found out the cops are looking for him.
I`ll bet alot of people here has encountered these special example of humanity.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2008, 09:43:25 PM »
I find that an air gun loaded with pellets does a fine job of convincing neighborhood dogs to avoid your yard. Apply as needed to the dog's flanks.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2008, 09:52:11 PM »
actually I never had problems with dogs myself.
I seemed to have away with them.(the very reason I took veterinary medicine)
I personally think it`s because I`m allergic to them and they sense absolutely no danger from me.
my body language is totally non-threatening.

fatman

« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2008, 10:15:29 PM »
I find that an air gun loaded with pellets does a fine job of convincing neighborhood dogs to avoid your yard. Apply as needed to the dog's flanks.

If I'd thought the dog was dangerous, that would have been my course of action.  Of course, out here in the boonies we use a 20 gauge shotshell loaded with rocksalt.

The problem in this case was that I actually liked the dog, it was friendly and never tore up my garden, but it also loved to bark at the rabbits, sitting outside the hutch and having at it.  I took it to the pound, and if the owner hadn't picked it up I would have and found it a good home.  I didn't want to punish the dog for the owner being a dipshit.  I love dogs, and have one of my own.  He did go over and kill one of a different neighbor's geese one day.  That cost me $100 and six months of obediance classes, but I consider that my fault because I had him out by the road with me and he wasn't trained.  Now I can even take him into Petco and he won't stray from my side, even without a leash.

fatman

« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2008, 10:23:27 PM »
When my daughter was young, she loved rabbits. Someone gave us Fred the Bunny and we went to the Dade County Rabbit Breeders' meetings a couple of times. It was deeply weird: the organization would say a few words, and then split into two groups: those who raised rabbits for food (mostly white albino rabbits) and those who liked bunnies for pets and liked to cuddle and stroke them.

I've had this experience as well, only at fairs.  The look that pet rabbit breeders give you when you explain that a champagne d'argent is a good meat rabbit is priceless.  The white rabbits are usually New Zealands or Californians, and often a cross of the two.  They were bred for the white pelt because that's what the buyers of the fur (a secondary product) prefer.  These are fine meat rabbits, and are the bulk of lab rabbits, but I like something a little bit different.  I've never had a problem giving the pelts away, I could probably sell them but I figure that the people taking them are doing me a service too and leave it at that.  Whenever I butcher rabbits or chickens, I have to get my partner out of the house as he can't stand being around it or even knowing about it.  So I usually send him down to Seattle to get something while I take care of business.  He does like eating them though.

I did raise hogs once.  I had two, and I'll never do it again.  I became way too attached to them, they are every bit as personable as a dog.  I ended up being unable to butcher either one and gave them to a petting zoo.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2008, 12:18:53 AM »
to this day I think it`s cruel and stupid to have a kids take responsibility to fatten up a turkey or hog just to have it slaughter
I talked every person that this happen to ,and I don`t care how ungrateful we sound.
not a single one of us are thankful of the experience.
it taught nothing except our elders are idiots for doing this to us.
maybe that is the lesson "never trust adult to be smart "