Author Topic: call me crazy,but I think this is a hate crime  (Read 1333 times)

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
call me crazy,but I think this is a hate crime
« on: April 09, 2008, 02:02:56 PM »
http://www.kltv.com/global/story.asp?s=8132283

don`t matter it`s school project and she`s not a minority
she should get hate crime status

just me thinking crazy

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: call me crazy,but I think this is a hate crime
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2008, 08:05:45 PM »
Saying that illegal immigration should stop is hardly a hate crime.
(a) she is advocating that existent and legal laws should be enforced. How can advocating that a law be observed a hate crime.
(b) she is in any event, discussing public policy. Political discourse is not only legal, it its necessary in a democracy.

If she would suggest that violence be done against illegal immigrants, that would be a hate crime.
But she didn't.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Lanya

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2008, 08:23:55 PM »
Kimba, it's a gray area to me.  I see your point, though, and it's not crazy.

Does a person have to be a minority in order to have a hate crime commited against them? I don't know the law.
Planned Parenthood is America’s most trusted provider of reproductive health care.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2008, 08:25:45 PM »
xo
I meant the reverse

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2008, 09:21:05 PM »
Athens School 'Attack' Proven To Be False, Girl To Be Charged

There are major new developments today in the case of a supposed beating of a student from Athens Middle School.

Charges are being filed against 13 year old Melanie Bowers by Athens ISD through the Henderson County District Attorney's office for filing a false report, said AISD officials today.

Bowers claimed earlier this week that she was beaten and threatened - with killing and rape, no less - by a group of students at Athens ISD last Friday, for creating a protest sign saying, "If you love our nation, stop illegal immigration."

After Melanie's accusations, administrators reviewed school survellience videotape of the incident - which, instead of showing students beating or attacking her, showed Bowers scratching herself on her arms, face, and neck, and walking through the halls of the school calmly long after she claimed the incident happened.

After Melanie's parents were presented with that information and the video, the school confronted Melanie, and she admitted that she made the story up.

The poster was indeed taken from Melanie, but she reported the incident to a teacher and was sent back to class. 3 students involved in taking Melanie's project were in 'in school suspension' for today only.

Bowers' parents have apologized to school administrators for their daughter, and Bowers' father, Gary Bower Jr., is agreeing with the charges against her. "I have reviewed the recording and agree with the charges that will need to be filed," he has said today.

Melanie's mother, Shera Bowers, released a statement which reads, "I see my daughter was not assaulted, and put the marks on her body. No gang violence as witnessed. She filed a false report."

KLTV 7 News will have video of the tape from Athens ISD tonight on KLTV 7 News at 5:00, 6:00, and 10:00 pm.

http://www.kltv.com/global/story.asp?s=8142322&ClientType=Printable

Universe Prince

• Of course liberty isn't safe; but it is good.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2008, 11:44:56 PM »
I'm not sure which version of the story seems more idiotic.
Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever.
--Hieronymus Karl Frederick Baron von Munchausen ("The Adventures of Baron Munchausen" [1988])--

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2008, 10:47:11 AM »
"If you love our nation, stop illegal immigration."

I find this slogan to be naive. Suppose I DO love our nation and desire to stop illegal immigration. What should I do? Travel to the border and  swing a baseball bat at them as they pour across? Join the Minutemen? Enlist in the Border Patrol?

I think all I can do from a practical standpoint is to write my Senators, Congressmen and Juniorbush. In a couple of weeks I should have four letters expressing "deep concern over the issues raised in your letter", no matter what their actual stand might be. Perhaps I'll get on a mailing list, but that rarely happens.

I am all in favor of tighter border security, though requiring me to present a passport just to travel to Mexico or Canada or the Caribbean seems excessive. I don't think that a passport is any harder to forge than a FL Driver's License, and might be easier. Besides, a quick search of any database will reveal evidence of my long permanence in this country since birth.

I would agree with this as a need if they could prove it somehow would keep illegal immigrants out, but I really don't think it will. The problem is not ileegals forging my driver's license, it is people jumping the fence.

As for this being any sort of hate crime, well, no. Especially since the threats seem to have been bogus.

I don't see why me punching (for example) Izzy Noodleman, Jaime Gonzalez or Kwai-Chang Kane because I dislike Jews, Latins or Chinese deserves more of a sentence than punching Izzy Noodleman, Jaime Gonzalez or Kwai-Chang Kane because I just don't like Izzy Noodleman, Jaime Gonzalez or Kwai-Chang Kane, or because I wish to rob Izzy Noodleman, Jaime Gonzalez or Kwai-Chang Kane of their shekels, pesos or renmin, respectively. Or vice-versa. Assault and Battery is assault and battery. I think it's a crime, but making it a worse crime because of the motive does not seem logical.

I think a guy who "shot a man in Reno, just to see him die", is a greater threat to society than someone who shoots people because he is more discriminating in his murders.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2008, 10:56:00 AM by Xavier_Onassis »

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2008, 02:36:37 PM »
I saw on youtube that vid about a bunch of teenage girls beating up on one girl.
so teenagers today are stupids crazy today.
despite everything saying nothing is private .
kids are trying to hid their stupid acts,their broadcasting them now
the beating was videotaped for airing on myspace.
something wierd is happening to kids nowadays.

Lanya

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2008, 03:51:57 PM »
Not all kids. There are still kids doing after-school jobs, trying to save money for gas, for car insurance, etc.
But the ones doing this, yeah.  Absolutely scary. Remind me of the Clockwork Orange guys.
I can hear Richard Pryor's voice: "Thank GOD we have prisons!"
They're beating up a girl just to show their Myspace friends.
Planned Parenthood is America’s most trusted provider of reproductive health care.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2008, 04:01:25 PM »
I never even thought of clockwork orange
good one lanya
that`s quite head on.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2008, 02:13:40 AM »
How common is Munchhausen's syndrome?

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2008, 09:21:50 AM »
How common is Munchhausen's syndrome?

=====================================
An interesting question. A job for Google, I would think.

Teenage girl lies, attracts major publicity... hmmm.