Author Topic: Electronics question  (Read 1489 times)

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Electronics question
« on: April 10, 2008, 11:07:12 AM »
I have a variety of commercial VCR tapes, dating back ages. For easy storage, access, and durability, I would like to make these into DVDs, with the options of scene selection and so forth. I know I need a DVD recorder, some software and some device to deal with the Macrovision on the cables linking the VCR player with the DVD recorder. I am not planning to sell anything or share it, I just want to ensure that I can watch a film I own without having to splice or reconnect tapes, which is a bore and a nuisance.

I would appreciate recommendations of specific brands.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
Re: Electronics question
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2008, 11:35:49 AM »
I have a variety of commercial VCR tapes, dating back ages. For easy storage, access, and durability, I would like to make these into DVDs, with the options of scene selection and so forth. I know I need a DVD recorder, some software and some device to deal with the Macrovision on the cables linking the VCR player with the DVD recorder. I am not planning to sell anything or share it, I just want to ensure that I can watch a film I own without having to splice or reconnect tapes, which is a bore and a nuisance.

I would appreciate recommendations of specific brands.

They sell devices specifically for this purpose, with both a VCR deck and DVD burner in one housing. I have one made by Panasonic that I picked up for like $200 at Walmart 8 years ago (they're much cheaper now). I converted all my VCR tapes ages ago, but I still used the burner portion to save shows off my TiVo.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2008, 01:16:00 PM »
They sell devices specifically for this purpose, with both a VCR deck and DVD burner in one housing.
=========================================================================\
It is my understanding that a single unit DVD recorder /VCR combo will not burn commercial tapes to a DVD disk with Macrovision. Perhaps it will burn Tivo and cable recordings.

I also was inquiring about how to the pick a scene and other features of a DVD from a VCR tape, where there are no such features.

If your DVD/VCR will copy a commercial Macrovision? VHS tape to a DVD, I think I would need the model number.
I have never had a Tivo or cable or dish, so most of my VHS tapes are original MGM, Disney, RKO, etc. tapes that I have bought over the years, some new, some used.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2008, 02:07:20 PM »
I also was inquiring about how to the pick a scene and other features of a DVD from a VCR tape, where there are no such features.

There are provisions within the editing menu for placing title and chapter marks. I just set mine up to automatically place a chapter mark every 5 minutes on VCR dubs, so I can use the "skip forward" button on the DVD player to skip in 5 minute increments.

If your DVD/VCR will copy a commercial Macrovision? VHS tape to a DVD, I think I would need the model number.

I can give the model number to you, but it's no longer made. And it will burn only to DVD-R 4X discs (it MUST be 4X or it will refuse to burn) and those are getting hard to find. Once I've depleted my current stock of 4X media, I'm going shopping for a new burner. I have copied commercial tapes with it. I think there were a few tapes that I had problems with, but I just downloaded the DVDs for those straight off the 'net, so I didn't screw around with it much.

Matter of fact, why don't you just do that? Just grab the torrents for the DVD versions of the movies and burn 'em to disc yourself? If you have any home movies or a few VHS tapes that you can't find, send 'em to me and I'll burn 'em to DVD for you. I'll charge $1 / tape plus actual shipping cost.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2008, 02:24:02 PM »
you need to get one of those old video stablizers to connect between the vcr and the dvd recorder.
which I will kick myself for throwing out last month.arghhh
I could of used that for my own vhs to dvd projects.
when throwing out old tech ,triple check and wait awhile and think it over some more before throwing it away.
p.s. if you record it on a rewriteable disc,download it on your computer and use nero to install chapters.
than burn it on a permanent disc.
this way you don`t have to fast forward it

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2008, 02:37:55 PM »
this way you don`t have to fast forward it

I rarely skip into the middle of a movie anyway, I usually watch from beginning to end. With 5 minute chapter marks, a typical 90 minute movie is only 17 "skips" to the end of the movie anyway. And the newer models will allow you to do fancier editing, including scene marks complete with video clips on the scene selection pages. My burner is an antique.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2008, 02:50:21 PM »
I really gotta read that manuel more thoroughly
it might have those options
that book is thick for a manuel.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile