Author Topic: Obama: Baby's as Punishment  (Read 1028 times)

Rich

Obama: Baby's as Punishment
« on: April 01, 2008, 12:21:59 PM »
Obama?s ?baby? comment draws fire from conservatives 
By Sam Youngman 
Posted: 03/31/08 05:35 PM [ET]

Sen. Barack Obama?s (Ill.) campaign on Monday sought to clarify remarks the Democratic front-runner made on teen pregnancies that had drawn criticism from conservatives. Speaking about sex education at an event in Pennsylvania Saturday, Obama said, according to the Christian Broadcasting Network, that he will educate his young daughters but ?if they make a mistake, I don?t want them punished with a baby. I don?t want them punished with an STD at the age of 16.?

Conservative talker Sean Hannity mentioned the quotes on his radio show Monday, and several conservative blogs have reacted harshly to the statement.

Tommy Vietor, an Obama spokesman, sought to clarify the senator?s comments in an e-mail to The Hill Monday afternoon.

"What Sen. Obama said and what he believes is clear ? children are ?miracles,? but we have a problem when so many children are having children,? Vietor said. ?As Sen. Obama said on Saturday ? and on many other occasions ? parents have a responsibility to teach their children about values and morals to help make sure they are not treating sex casually. And while he understands the passions on both sides of this difficult issue, Sen. Obama believes we can all agree that we should be taking steps to reduce the number of teen pregnancies and abortions in this country.?

http://thehill.com/campaign-2008/obamas-baby-comment-draws-fire-from-conservatives-2008-03-31.html

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Obama: Baby's as Punishment
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2008, 12:32:13 PM »
Waiting until 18 or older to have children is something that didn't come about until the late 19th / early 20th century. Prior to that time and for millennia, most societies considered 14-16 to be "adults."
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2008, 02:40:06 PM »
I have no problem with what he said but he could have used the words 'burdened'.

Rich

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2008, 04:45:54 PM »
Is your son a burden Brass?

He's growing to be a fine looking boy, by the way.

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2008, 02:21:05 PM »

No, he's not a burden and I never said he was; however, if I were 15 and my wife 14, I think I'd have a different view of things.

And thanks.  We like him a whole lot.

Our dryer broke down and he asked me about it.  I told him it was "broken" and he very confidently ran in and said, "Well, I know how to fix it!"  He held his finger up to me like "just a minute" and said, "Watch and learn."

I laughed for five minutes.

(I wish the dryer had come on when he pushed the "On" button.  When it didn't, he seemed quite perturbed. Which I have to admit was also a bit comedic.)

http://brassmask.com/news.php?item.279

Cynthia

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2008, 12:57:11 AM »

No, he's not a burden and I never said he was; however, if I were 15 and my wife 14, I think I'd have a different view of things.

And thanks.  We like him a whole lot.

Our dryer broke down and he asked me about it.  I told him it was "broken" and he very confidently ran in and said, "Well, I know how to fix it!"  He held his finger up to me like "just a minute" and said, "Watch and learn."

I laughed for five minutes.

(I wish the dryer had come on when he pushed the "On" button.  When it didn't, he seemed quite perturbed. Which I have to admit was also a bit comedic.)

http://brassmask.com/news.php?item.279

Oh Brassie....Your son is so adorable.

Beautiful scenes and photos. I remember when your wife was pregnant. The birth of your son was quite a "spiritual" experience in its own right.

Well, anyway you look at it....you have a beautiful son.

Blessings,

Cynthia

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2008, 01:52:19 PM »
Cynthia,

Thanks so much.  He'll be four years of age officially on the 20th of April.  We'll have a nice party for him on that day.

It seems like just yesterday I was texting Henny to ask her to let 3DHS know that we had a boy named Benjamin.

Bryan