Author Topic: imagine the power this agency would have  (Read 1218 times)

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
imagine the power this agency would have
« on: April 23, 2008, 12:36:17 AM »
http://www.washingtontechnology.com/online/1_1/32611-1.html

Strategic thinkers in IBM Corp.?s public-sector unit are urging establishment of an organization dedicated to coordinating public and private efforts to secure people and infrastructures worldwide.

In a new white paper, the IBM authors call for government and corporate leaders to work jointly through a Global Movement Management Organization on security and resilience in global aviation, cargo movement, immigration, travel and the Internet, among other areas.

?We envision a new international entity to fill the governance gap that presently limits the effectiveness of international efforts,? the paper states. ?The Global Movement Management Organization can serve to bring together key stakeholders with a shared interest in strengthening global movement systems and provide an effective forum and process to enable cooperation among regional, national and sector-specific stakeholders.?

The white paper, titled ?Global Movement Management: Commerce, Security and Resilience in Today?s Networked World,? builds on ideas IBM introduced in 2005. Both papers address vulnerabilities to asymmetric terrorist threats that could disrupt global supply chains and commercial and noncommercial human activities.

The goal is to improve security and resilience by confronting emerging risks without harming commercial interests, said W. Scott Gould, one of the paper?s authors and vice president of public-sector strategy at IBM Global Business Services, in a news release.

Universe Prince

• Of course liberty isn't safe; but it is good.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: imagine the power this agency would have
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2008, 01:59:49 AM »
Great googly moogly. That has to be one of the worst ideas I've seen in some time.
Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever.
--Hieronymus Karl Frederick Baron von Munchausen ("The Adventures of Baron Munchausen" [1988])--

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2008, 06:00:44 AM »
Great googly moogly. That has to be one of the worst ideas I've seen in some time.

I wouldn't call it a bad idea. Impractical to implement, but not a bad goal.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2008, 09:10:42 AM »
The Corporate State! Corporations and the gummint unified to protect us against Al Qaeda!

Or would that be or become to protect itself against us?

What a novel concept! Il Duce would be proud!
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2008, 02:52:21 AM »
In the end, the number of people willing to give up their passwords probably will be as steady and irreducible as the number of people who get behind the wheel of a car without wearing a seatbelt, no matter what we do.

http://www.gcn.com/online/vol1_no1/46145-1.html

Infosecurity Europe conducted a social experiment in London, doing phony marketing surveys to see if they could get people to reveal information such as passwords, phone numbers and dates of birth. The headline for the results was, ?Women four times more likely than men to give passwords for chocolate.?

Universe Prince

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2008, 03:42:17 AM »

I wouldn't call it a bad idea. Impractical to implement, but not a bad goal.

If you mean "to improve security and resilience by confronting emerging risks without harming commercial interests" is not a bad goal, yeah, I can see that. On the other hand, "government and corporate leaders to work jointly through a Global Movement Management Organization on security and resilience in global aviation, cargo movement, immigration, travel and the Internet, among other areas", I still have to say is a bad idea.
Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever.
--Hieronymus Karl Frederick Baron von Munchausen ("The Adventures of Baron Munchausen" [1988])--

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2008, 11:53:58 AM »
Yes, an internatinal agency with the power to regulate security would be able to increase its power as a needed improvement every time it failed to provide security .

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2008, 12:20:33 PM »
If you mean "to improve security and resilience by confronting emerging risks without harming commercial interests" is not a bad goal, yeah, I can see that. On the other hand, "government and corporate leaders to work jointly through a Global Movement Management Organization on security and resilience in global aviation, cargo movement, immigration, travel and the Internet, among other areas", I still have to say is a bad idea.

If the organization is voluntary I don't see a problem. This would be no different than a number of current organizations such as ICANN. They make recommendations, and the implementation of those recommendations is voluntary (but there is an obvious benefit to those who implement fully).
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2008, 12:26:01 PM »

If the organization is voluntary I don't see a problem. This would be no different than a number of current organizations such as ICANN. They make recommendations, and the implementation of those recommendations is voluntary (but there is an obvious benefit to those who implement fully).

Could every file that ws protected and vetted up to regulation dispaly an agency approval seal , so that people who wanted safety could simply never open a file without the seal on it?

Universe Prince

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2008, 12:58:07 PM »

Perhaps. I am generally distrustful of partnerships between corporations and government, and I am wary of top down security plans, so I remain skeptical of that IBM's proposal would achieve the goal.