Author Topic: Wright Speaks for the Left  (Read 6706 times)

Rich

Wright Speaks for the Left
« on: April 29, 2008, 06:31:27 PM »
Wright Speaks for the Left

By Dennis Prager
FrontPageMagazine.com | 4/29/2008

When Air America, the left-wing talk radio network, began, I predicted that it would not succeed. One of the main reasons I gave was that liberals already had their views expressed in the mainstream news media -- the major networks, PBS and NPR (National Public Radio), and just about every major city newspaper. Therefore, the need liberals have for liberal talk radio is nowhere near the need conservatives have for conservative talk radio.
To its credit, the New York Times -- through its public editor -- has acknowledged that the Times is liberal; and anyone intellectually honest understands this is true regarding virtually all of the news media. But for those still needing proof, Bill Moyers supplied it on PBS this past weekend during his interview of one of the most radically polarizing figures in America today, the Rev. Jeremiah Wright, Sen. Barack Obama's mentor and pastor for 20 years.

The Rev. Wright's decision to allow himself to be interviewed by Bill Moyers was, from his perspective, an excellent one. It is difficult to imagine a less challenging, more fawning, interview.

How bad was it?

Given that one of the most egregious of the Rev. Wright's statements was his charge that the American government developed the AIDS virus and inflicted it on black Americans, one assumed that the first major reporter to interview Wright since the comments were made public would ask him about it. Not Bill Moyers. Beyond mentioning in the opening introduction, "Wright repeating the canard heard often in black communities that the U.S. government spread HIV in those communities," the subject was never raised.

But Moyers did ask Wright tough questions like these:

"When did you hear the call to ministry? How did it come?"

"What does the church service on Sunday morning mean in general to the black community?"

Instead of challenging Wright's un-Christian, anti-American and immoral "God damn America, God damn America" statement, Moyers asked three questions about it:

Here they are (I could not make up such puffball questions):

1. "One of the most controversial sermons that you preach is the sermon you preach that ended up being that sound bite about God damn America."

Wright's response was to deliver a 300-word indictment of America for its violence against the world.

And how then does Moyers respond? With another killer question:

2. "What did you mean when you said that?"

So Wright then delivered another, 174-word, indictment of America for its evils.

But instead of challenging Wright or defending America, Moyers' third question was:

3. "Well, you can be almost crucified for saying what you've said here in this country."

Moyers changes Wright's "God damn America" to "Poor Rev. Wright."

And why not? It is soon clear that Moyers essentially agrees with Wright about America:

"What is your notion of why so many Americans seem not to want to hear the full Monty -- they don't want to seem to acknowledge that a nation capable of greatness is also capable of cruelty?"

For the many Americans who suspect that most Americans on the left silently agree with nearly all of Wright's views of America, Moyers provided proof.

Nevertheless, Moyers' total failure to confront the America-hating, race-preoccupied mentor of a man who may be the next president of the United States does not mean the interview was worthless. Any time Wright speaks publicly, even with the most sympathetic of questioners, we learn more about the two motivators of his thinking: race and contempt for America.

Here is Wright in his sermon the Sunday after 9-11 as replayed during the Moyers interview:

"Terrorism! We bombed Grenada and killed innocent civilians, babies, non-military personnel. We bombed the black civilian community of Panama with stealth bombers and killed unarmed teenagers and toddlers, pregnant mothers and hardworking fathers. We bombed Gadafi's home and killed his child. 'Blessed are they who bash your children's head against a rock!' We bombed Iraq. We killed unarmed civilians trying to make a living. We bombed a plant in Sudan to pay back for the attack on our embassy. Killed hundreds of hardworking people; mothers and fathers who left home to go that day, not knowing that they would never get back home. We bombed Hiroshima! We bombed Nagasaki, and we nuked far more than the thousands in New York and the Pentagon, and we never batted an eye! Kids playing in the playground, mothers picking up children after school, civilians -- not soldiers -- people just trying to make it day by day. We have supported state terrorism against the Palestinians and black South Africans, and now we are indignant? Because the stuff we have done overseas has now been brought back into our own front yards! America's chickens are coming home to roost! Violence begets violence. Hatred begets hatred and terrorism begets terrorism."

To which Moyers offered another lacerating response:

"You preached that sermon on the Sunday after 9-11, almost seven years ago. When people saw the sound bites from it this year, they were upset because you seemed to be blaming America. Did you somehow fail to communicate?"

Finally, as regards the Rev. Wright's Africa-centric form of Christianity, this was Wright's explanation to his young church members as shown during the PBS interview:

"We wanted our stained-glass windows to tell the story of the centrality of Africans in the role of Christianity from its inception up until the present day. We play some interesting games educationally with the kids to help kids understand -- 'Can you name the seven continents?' As a kid, you learn that in school. All right, on what continent did everything in the Bible from Genesis to Malachi take place?"

And, of course, the Reverend and his church's answer is: Africa.

Now, as it happens, the Middle East is not Africa. It is Asia Minor, or Southwest Asia, if one must have an identifying continent. And Jesus was not black, nor were the apostles. It's all racial pride. And not true. Africa in the Bible is overwhelmingly Egypt, which was not black and not a moral model.

In sum: PBS has done some wonderful programming. But when it comes to the news or anything controversial, it is as politically correct and liberal as the rest of the news media. As for Bill Moyers, had Mrs. Wright interviewed the Rev. Wright, the questions and reactions could not have been less challenging or even supportive. And as regards the Rev. Wright, the more he talks, the more one worries about Barack Obama's values.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dennis Prager hosts a nationally syndicated radio talk show based in Los Angeles. He is the author of four books, most recently "Happiness is a Serious Problem" (HarperCollins). His website is www.dennisprager.com. To find out more about Dennis Prager, visit the Creators Syndicate Web page at www.creators.com.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Wright Speaks for the Left
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2008, 08:25:36 PM »
.....How bad was it?....

Couldn't get much worse
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2008, 08:36:42 PM »
Wright was not speaking for the left, he was speaking for himself.
Moyers has done better interviews. He should have asked about the bit where AIDS was allegedly invented to destroy Black people.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2008, 08:43:34 PM »
Wright was not speaking for the left, he was speaking for himself.

He epitomizes the left.  Imparticular, the angry left that hates this great country

"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2008, 10:50:18 AM »

He epitomizes the left.  Imparticular, the angry left that hates this great countr

=====================================
You are totally incorrect. First off no one hates the country: no one hates the purple mountains' majesty or the golden waves of grain.
There are those who see a vision for a more perfect society (as did the Founding Fathers) and seek to improve upon it. There are those who believe that the various travesties visited upon such minorities as the Indians and Blacks have not been adequately addressed. There are others who believe that the current movement by the oligarchy to turn the USA into a maximum security state, where everyone's mail and conversations are monitored, where the banks control everyone's money, where every year productivity increases, and none of the gain is passed on to those who do the actual labor, where troops are sent to occupy other countries so as to lay claim by the oligarchy to needed resources, thereby creating an empire, is not and should not be what the USA is all about.

Rev. Wright represents, at best a small segment within the Black community that sees every issue from the standpoint of Black people and their exploitation.

One can hate the oligarchy without hating the country. I see it as an obligation to despise the oligarchy. They are quite clever, and their hirelings are well-paid and diverse.

The greatness of the USA and the hugeness of ExxonMobil are not synonymous.

Rich

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2008, 12:30:50 PM »
>>First off no one hates the country: no one hates the purple mountains' majesty or the golden waves of grain. <<

You are totally inncorrect. There are plenty of people who hate America. Your buddy mike is just one example.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2008, 05:54:35 AM »

One can hate the oligarchy without hating the country. I see it as an obligation to despise the oligarchy. They are quite clever, and their hirelings are well-paid and diverse.

If you stop hating my ogliarchy, I will stop hateing yours.
The greatness of the USA and the hugeness of CNN are not synonymous.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2008, 06:31:49 AM »
I don't have cable. I don't watch CNN. I neither like them nor hate them, or am I inclined to believe them when they do not make sense. They do not run the country. The oligarchy does that, and it does it to serve its own advantage.

America would be a far greater country if the oligarchy were deposed and forced to play by the same rules as everyone else.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2008, 06:36:42 AM »
I don't have cable. I don't watch CNN. I neither like them nor hate them, or am I inclined to believe them when they do not make sense. They do not run the country. The oligarchy does that, and it does it to serve its own advantage.

America would be a far greater country if the oligarchy were deposed and forced to play by the same rules as everyone else.

You deny that there is a Leftist ogliarchy?

Name a feature of the Right that I can't find a counterpart for in the left.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2008, 09:33:19 AM »

============================================
Oh, please. Of COURSE there is not a leftist oligarchy.

The Right has the money and controls the economy.

There are a few wealthy people on the left that may upon occasion, control several aspects of the entertainment industry.

Buy a copy of Forbes. See the biggest advertisers? The ones in the oligarchy that need publicity bought those ads. Some, like Cargill and Bunge & Borne, do not need publicity and do not advertise.

Now buy a copy of the Nation. The full page ads might occasionally be for recording and movie companies that might upon occasion decide what entertainment might be available.

The people who hired Rush and paid him $23 million to convince guys like you that there IS a leftist Oligarchy-- they are the Right wing Oligarchy.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2008, 11:46:28 AM »

============================================
Oh, please. Of COURSE there is not a leftist oligarchy.

The Right has the money and controls the economy.

There are a few wealthy people on the left that may upon occasion, control several aspects of the entertainment industry.

Buy a copy of Forbes. See the biggest advertisers? The ones in the oligarchy that need publicity bought those ads. Some, like Cargill and Bunge & Borne, do not need publicity and do not advertise.

Now buy a copy of the Nation. The full page ads might occasionally be for recording and movie companies that might upon occasion decide what entertainment might be available.

The people who hired Rush and paid him $23 million to convince guys like you that there IS a leftist Oligarchy-- they are the Right wing Oligarchy.

I need a link for the idea that Rush Limbaugh was hired.

But there is plenty of big money on the left and they are if anything more likely to colaborate than the guys on the right.

Al Franken was hired to be a counter to Rush Limbaugh , at that point the Leftist powers that be learned that it doesn't work to hire a pretty face to frount an unpopular idea even if you pay a lot.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2008, 01:04:54 PM »

Well, DUH! He is being paid, isn't he? It's common knowledge that he is paid and how much he is paid. I hardly doubt that the oligarchy is going to say that they contribute that $23 million to Clear Channel for Rush's propaganda.
---------------------------------------------------

But there is plenty of big money on the left and they are if anything more likely to colaborate than the guys on the right.

Al Franken was hired to be a counter to Rush Limbaugh , at that point the Leftist powers that be learned that it doesn't work to hire a pretty face to frount an unpopular idea even if you pay a lot.

No, the left is different from the right. The Left consists of a variety of individuals who have specific social changes they wish enacted, and there is quite a bit of difference between them, so there is a lot of disagreement. Listening to political diatribes is not amusing to most Left wingers, and they don;t listen to Al Franken, nor do they take their attitudes from him for the most part.
========================================================

The Oligarchy wants just two things: More power and more money. They are for more exploitation of people and resources and they want someone else to support the government, because they own most of the property and most of the stock that is owned by individuals.

Luckily for them, there is a lumpenproletariat of wannabee oligarchs, who feel that someday, they will also be movers and shakers, ad they identify with the ruling oligarchy. In European nations, they would be royalists . And Rush is hired to tell these people what to think and how to think it.

When I get a letter from the Democrats, I get a questionnaire with a plea for money. They always ask for my opinion. Perhaps they don't pay attention to my opinion, but they ask for it. I don;t normally send money, but I do mail in the questionnaire.
---------------------
Because I own mutual funds, I used to get letters from the Republicans also asking for money. There was NEVER a questionnaire. The basic message was "We lowered your taxes, we strengthened the military, now PAY US" and they always told me how much they wanted, usually a hundred or more. I haven't heard from them since I wrapped a brick and other junk mail up and taped their postpaid mailer to it, back in the Reagan years.

As I see it, the Democrats are occasionally on my side, the Republicans never have been on my side.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2008, 01:32:40 PM »

Well, DUH! He is being paid, isn't he? It's common knowledge that he is paid and how much he is paid. I hardly doubt that the oligarchy is going to say that they contribute that $23 million to Clear Channel for Rush's propaganda.
---------------------------------------------------

The diffrence is that Al Franken was hired by some dumb ogliarcs , Rush built his own empire by pleasing the common man.

In each particular that you state , there is an equal case for leftist ogliarcs . The biggest individual fortunes seem to be owned by leftists , the ingrates.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2008, 01:43:23 PM »
You know not of what you speak. No, not even a little bit.

Go ahead and believe Rush. No one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American Public.

Politics is not really a form of entertainment, except for you and Rush. That is the essence of his genius: that the uneducated can be caused to think of themselves as potential bazillionaires and be entertained while engaging in this delusion.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2008, 01:49:31 PM »
You know not of what you speak. No, not even a little bit.

Go ahead and believe Rush. No one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American Public.

Politics is not really a form of entertainment, except for you and Rush. That is the essence of his genius: that the uneducated can be caused to think of themselves as potential bazillionaires and be entertained while engaging in this delusion.

But you don't have any reason to believe that Rush was hired by ogliarcs , Al Franken was hired by ogliarcs in full public view.

If one is imaginary ,I credit your imagination.

Rush Limbaugh would be the same sort of failure Al Franken is if he were not speaking the mind of the common man.

Of course another factor is the perception that Al Franken holds the common man in contempt , while Rush speaks in agreement or not it is the powerfull that Rush holds in contempt.