Author Topic: The Wright Stuff  (Read 4507 times)

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
Re: The Wright Stuff
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2008, 06:36:26 PM »
So, if I push a White's Value system, I'm not a racist.  If I push for Whites to ban together to battle the forces I deem oppressive, I'm not a racist??  Is that what you're trying to say??

Any institutionalized program that elevates one group of people over another is on its face wrong and banding together to fight this injustice as a group is certainly not racist and is certainly the right thing to do.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2008, 07:12:18 PM »
So, if I push a White's Value system, I'm not a racist.  If I push for Whites to ban together to battle the forces I deem oppressive, I'm not a racist??  Is that what you're trying to say??

Any institutionalized program that elevates one group of people over another is on its face wrong and banding together to fight this injustice as a group is certainly not racist and is certainly the right thing to do.

NOT when there is no overt injustice being perpetrated, Bt.  THAT's the point.  Sure there's still some racism in this country, that will likely never be snuffed out.  There is however, no predominant KKK in this country any longer.  Such racist groups are routinely condemned by nearly EVERYONE.  So to call for 1 race to band together to fight a non-existant so-called enemy IS racist.  That's why it was Racist when Whites like the KKK were doing it to the Blacks in general.  It's absolutely NO different when Blacks are claiming the same aimed at whites in general.  NONE

« Last Edit: May 08, 2008, 09:39:40 PM by sirs »
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2008, 07:34:07 PM »

==================================================
I am thinking that if he had spat upon Rev Wright ten minutes after those sermon tapes were released, you still would not vote for him.

Hey , next time a graduate of Bob Jones University is going to run for president , supposing nothing else was wrong with him , would his alma mater bother you?

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2008, 11:20:57 PM »
NOT when there is no overt injustice being perpetrated, Bt.  THAT's the point.  Sure there's still some racism in this country, that will likely never be snuffed out.  There is however, no predominant KKK in this country any longer.  Such racist groups are routinely condemned by nearly EVERYONE.  So to call for 1 race to band together to fight a nonexistent so-called enemy IS racist.  That's why it was Racist when Whites like the KKK were doing it to the Blacks in general.  It's absolutely NO different when Blacks are claiming the same aimed at whites in general.  NONE

You don't have to wear a sheet to perpetuate racism.

Are you in favor of affirmative action programs? How many time has that been labeled reverse discrimination.

Wright is of an age where he experienced institutionalized racism first hand. You don't think that colored his worldview?

I have told this story before.

Right outside of Eatonton, GA is a gas station/ BBQ place that still has a restroom labeled "colored".

The station is owned by one of the more successful dairy farmers in Putnam County.

He is black BTW. Perhaps he also has a message.

« Last Edit: May 08, 2008, 11:24:24 PM by BT »

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2008, 01:33:43 AM »
NOT when there is no overt injustice being perpetrated, Bt.  THAT's the point.  Sure there's still some racism in this country, that will likely never be snuffed out.  There is however, no predominant KKK in this country any longer.  Such racist groups are routinely condemned by nearly EVERYONE.  So to call for 1 race to band together to fight a nonexistent so-called enemy IS racist.  That's why it was Racist when Whites like the KKK were doing it to the Blacks in general.  It's absolutely NO different when Blacks are claiming the same aimed at whites in general.  NONE

You don't have to wear a sheet to perpetuate racism.

Must have missed the part where I said racism still exists, and likely always will.  I'll let it pass this time.  What we don't have any longer are segregated lines, buses, trains, restaurants, schools, etc.  But when you listen to Rev Wright, I get the distinct impression he wants precisely that with his Black Value System

Are you in favor of affirmative action programs? How many time has that been labeled reverse discrimination.

And it IS, and it's WRONG.  Discrimination is discrimination, and of course I don't support it

Wright is of an age where he experienced institutionalized racism first hand. You don't think that colored his worldview?

That's all nice and sweet, and likely DID help color his world view.  I listen to a talk show host, who's 90y/r black father was put thru the same form of racial discrimination the 40's, 50's, & 60's could throw at him.  I've heard him, and he sounds much more like MLK Jr, where the goal is to be colorblind, vs Rev Wright's evil White America rants

I have told this story before.  Right outside of Eatonton, GA is a gas station/ BBQ place that still has a restroom labeled "colored".  The station is owned by one of the more successful dairy farmers in Putnam County.  He is black BTW. Perhaps he also has a message.

And that message is racist

"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2008, 01:43:59 AM »

Is it any more prejudiced than a holocaust memorial?

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2008, 02:01:19 AM »
http://www.artic.edu/artaccess/AA_AfAm/pages/AfAm_4.shtml

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2007-09-25-61450262_x.htm
"For now, he is relishing his final days in office and is eager to show a Macon train station he helped the city purchase, where he proudly points at the "Colored Waiting Room" sign he ordered uncovered because "we don't sweep history under the rug."

Jack Ellis was not really a good mayor , but on this particular point I agree with him , the facts should not be softened or covered over , accuracy should be striven for.

But Ellis did not seem to care about the half of the city that was not black, he thereby lost a great oppurtunity to combine , unite and heal.

For which of our racial groups shoud the motto be "I got mine".

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2008, 11:05:05 AM »

Is it any more prejudiced than a holocaust memorial?

Apples/Oranges.  If your friend's rest room is meant to have only colored people use it, that's racist.  If it's being used to remind people that racism exists......well, d'uh, BUT not like that any longer

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2008, 01:31:12 PM »
Apples/Oranges.  If your friend's rest room is meant to have only colored people use it, that's racist.  If it's being used to remind people that racism exists......well, d'uh, BUT not like that any longer

Never claimed the man to be a friend. He is an acquaintance. Secondly i never said the restrooms were anything more than a reminder that racism did exist and still exists though not institutionalized as solidly as it was in the past.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2008, 05:01:48 PM »

Never claimed the man to be a friend.He is an acquaintance.

My apologies, though that is a little beside the point

Secondly i never said the restrooms were anything more than a reminder that racism did exist and still exists though not institutionalized as solidly as it was in the past.

Then..........I don't see any point being made here that I haven't already referenced.  Yes, racism still exists, and unfortunately always will to some degree.  If this aquaintance wants to remind us of what once WAS, fine.  That's NOT what Rev Wright is spewing.  And to try and rationalize how it is somehow, is a distinct disservice to those who have overcome the rampant injustice of overt racism, IMHO

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2008, 11:23:24 PM »
My apologies, though that is a little beside the point

It is an important point nonetheless. We seem to read things into messages that aren't there.

The difference between the messages of Wright and our Eatonton farmer is a matter of degree.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2008, 03:00:14 AM »
Actually, it's Applesause and an Apple Orchard of difference in message.  And like I said, trying to rationalize Wright's racist message would likely cause MLK to roll in his grave

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2008, 03:51:26 AM »
Is a victim of racism entitled to be bitter?

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2008, 04:10:40 AM »

Yes but it is a bad idea even so.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2008, 04:28:58 AM »

*sigh*  Sure, if they want to fester in what once was.  The difference again being a mountain's worth between your aquaintance and Wright.  They also refer to that as victocrat mentality.  As I said, I know and have heard from folks who went thru the same garbage Wright went thru, and they've managed to do just fine in advocating &/or living an MLK desire for a colorblind society. 

What makes Wright so special that his rancid rhetoric gets sucha rationalized kid glove treatment, I wonder
« Last Edit: May 10, 2008, 04:43:14 AM by sirs »