Author Topic: Behavior modifacation vs racism  (Read 18707 times)

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: Behavior modifacation vs racism
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2008, 02:38:08 AM »

This whole week what individual were we discussing?
France?

I believe I was discussing individuals while other people were trying to convince me that the category was all that was important.

So the individuals that have interpreted "jihad" to mean kill some infidels have banded together , is it impossible to discuss the band?

Of course not. But when you say "Islam is directing religious intolerance twards the Non -Islamic", you're not discussing a band of individuals, are you? You're making blanket statements about a rather broad category.

You don't do qualifiers?
If racism is simple then it is also simple that Islam is directing religious intolerance twards the Non -Islamic.

Or in other words if it were simple we would have solved it laong ago , it isn't only recently that this stuff has started to bother people.

I liked the punch of the statement "the category you place this creature in holds more importance to you than the individual creature" it does a good job of succinctly defineing the nature of the problem  , but did you notice that the same caricter had said a few panels before that "Racism is complicated"?

It isn't simple because people are not simple .

As far as I know there is little racism outside the Human Race , I never met a dog suffering from it.

Universe Prince

• Of course liberty isn't safe; but it is good.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2008, 05:52:55 AM »

You don't do qualifiers?
If racism is simple then it is also simple that Islam is directing religious intolerance twards the Non -Islamic.

Of course I do. Here, I'll show you:
      The problem with your statement is not that it is not that simple, but that "Islam is directing religious intolerance twards the Non -Islamic" is not true. People are directing tolerance or intolerance. While many may argue that Islam is inherent intolerant, there are other who will argue that such is a matter of interpretation, both of language and meaning. For example, "jihad" does not necessarily always mean "holy war". As I understand it, it can be used to mean simply a spiritual struggle on a personal level. We do ourselves a disservice to assume that Islam is the problem and not the people.      
-Reply #12

Or in other words if it were simple we would have solved it laong ago , it isn't only recently that this stuff has started to bother people.

Now you've gone from simple to simplistic.

but did you notice that the same caricter had said a few panels before that "Racism is complicated"?

And then he undercut that argument by saying "the category you place this creature in holds more importance to you than the individual creature."

It isn't simple because people are not simple .

It is simple, but people seek to complicate it.

As far as I know there is little racism outside the Human Race , I never met a dog suffering from it.

You've never seen animals fight outsiders?
Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever.
--Hieronymus Karl Frederick Baron von Munchausen ("The Adventures of Baron Munchausen" [1988])--

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2008, 06:48:25 AM »
I have seen ants at war , but I didn't consider the motivation of the ants to be racism , which I think of as an unfair condition , Ants lack the sophistication to be "fair" so how can they be unfair?

Bees and wolves both learn to detect sameness in hive and pack , rejecting outsiders and defending territory , is this racism?

Reduced to this level of simplicity it looses its wrongness .

Universe Prince

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2008, 05:26:50 PM »

Bees and wolves both learn to detect sameness in hive and pack , rejecting outsiders and defending territory , is this racism?

What, exactly, do you think racism is?

Does it? Why?
Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever.
--Hieronymus Karl Frederick Baron von Munchausen ("The Adventures of Baron Munchausen" [1988])--

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2008, 06:45:07 PM »

What, exactly, do you think racism is?

Does it? Why?

You think an animal or insect can do wrong?

Universe Prince

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2008, 10:33:59 PM »

Yes, animals can do wrong. We do all the time, do we not? But even lesser animals will ostracize a fellow animal for doing something wrong. I don't know about insects, but then, people are not insects.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2008, 12:28:08 AM »

Yes, animals can do wrong. We do all the time, do we not? But even lesser animals will ostracize a fellow animal for doing something wrong. I don't know about insects, but then, people are not insects.

Because an animal cannot know worng , it cannot do wrong.

Ants are like atomitons , their behavior is trophic , always the same responce to the same stimulus.
Wolves seem more complex but they are still operateing more on instinct than on a moral sense , if a wolf were to kill you it would be no sin to the wolf.
Human beings have a moral sense and can choose to do something other than instinct directs , something other than what is the best choice for self, we can develop a moral sense and then we can offend ourselves with sin.

Even the most well developed Animal is liveing in the present , a place Human beings only visit.

Universe Prince

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2008, 10:37:25 AM »

Because an animal cannot know worng

What makes you think it cannot?

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2008, 11:58:55 AM »
By human standards, ants are racists. red ants and black ants engage in genocidal, no make that insecticidal warfare all the time.
=====================

Indians have a hard time growing facial hair. With difficulty an Indian grows a wispy moustache like Cantinflas, the famous actor.

Most Mexicans are mestizos, that is part Indian and part Spanish (or perhaps French). The idea of growing a moustache stems from the Mexican idea that it is better to be a European than an common Huehenche, Naco or Tlaxcalteco. The more Spanish one is, the better. Hence a moustache is a sort of racial statement.

City Mexicans consider factors beyond just the moustache. One thing is, indios tend to wear hats with a dangly thing at the back of the brim. City Mexicans always wear hats without the dangly thing, but most never wear any hat at all. Baseball hats are worn for sports by some people.

« Last Edit: May 11, 2008, 06:25:31 PM by Xavier_Onassis »
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2008, 05:24:23 PM »
The problem with your statement is not that it is not that simple, but that "Islam is directing religious intolerance twards the Non -Islamic" is not true.

This is a part of my statement , why did you leave off the part that included the "IF"?

It took you a paragraph to show why this simple statement is only in some fraction true , you could understand the same way if you cared to that it is not any more true than is to say that "Racism is simple" Racism is no more simple than the people who suffer from it .
« Last Edit: May 11, 2008, 10:26:07 PM by Plane »

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2008, 05:26:56 PM »
By human standards, ants are racists. red ants and black ants engage in genocidal, no make that insecticidal warfare all the time.
=====================
Yes, applying human standards to Ants is rediculous ,no less than applying ant standards to humans.
Indians have a hard time growing facial hair. With difficulty an Indian grows a wispy moustache like Cantinflas, the famous actor.

Most Mexicans are mestizos, that is part Indian and part Spanish (or perhaps French). The idea of growing a moustache stems from the Mexican idea that it is better to be a European than an common Huehenche, Naco or Tlaxcalteco. The more Spanish one is, the better. Hence a moustache is a sort of racial statement.

City Mexicans consider factors beyond just the moustache. One thing is, indios tend to wear hats with a dancly thing at the back of the brim. City Mexicans always wear hats without the dangly thing, but most never wear any hat at all. Baseball hats are woren for sports by some people.

I didn't know that , so are the moustaches a serious issue or a sidebar?

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2008, 06:28:52 PM »
I didn't know that , so are the moustaches a serious issue or a sidebar?
===============================

I don't think that Mexicans think that much about mustaches and hats, or dangly things on the back of hats, but these are clearly incators of social class. There are other differences, such as the manner of speaking and hand gestures that are even more indicative of what used to be almost a caste system before the Revolution of 1910-1921.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Universe Prince

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2008, 01:19:29 AM »

The problem with your statement is not that it is not that simple, but that "Islam is directing religious intolerance twards the Non -Islamic" is not true.

This is a part of my statement , why did you leave off the part that included the "IF"?

It took you a paragraph to show why this simple statement is only in some fraction true , you could understand the same way if you cared to that it is not any more true than is to say that "Racism is simple" Racism is no more simple than the people who suffer from it .

You're making less and less sense as we go along.

Okay, let's break this down.

I'll repeat what I said before. "People are complicated. Racism is simple." Saying that racism is simple does not mean all motivations of people are simple. As the man once said, don't misunderstand me so fast.

I also said that this part of your comment, "Islam is directing religious intolerance twards the Non -Islamic", is not true. At no point did I spend a paragraph to say that was "only in some fraction true" or in any fraction true at all.

You said, "If racism is simple then it is also simple that Islam is directing religious intolerance twards the Non -Islamic." You are, in that statement, apparently trying to saying A cannot not simple because that would be like saying B is simple. You're wrong, and I'll try to explain why.

Saying that racism is simple is not at all like saying that Islam is directing religious intolerance toward anybody. People direct religious intolerance. Islam is a set of ideas and words, tools that do little on their own. Islam does not act on its own. People direct religious tolerance or intolerance. Racism does nothing by itself. People have to believe in it and act on it before it does anything. Some people believe Islam mandates religious intolerance. Some people do not. Either way, people are the ones responsible for the actions.

Racism is simple. It is not complicated. Some people may seek to try to make it seem complicated so as to justify their own level of racism ("some of my best friends are..."), but racism is simple nonetheless. Racism is the belief that people of a different race or skin color are inferior. Some people manifest this as hate or intolerance. Other people manifest this in patronizing attitudes. But racism itself is not complicated.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2008, 01:54:54 AM »

Gravity is simple , compared to racism .

Haveing found a simple statement that succinctly defines it does not make it simple.

g = 9.8 m/s/s, downward

There ,gravity is simple. Right?

Compared to racism it is.

http://www.glenbrook.k12.il.us/GBSSCI/PHYS/Class/1DKin/U1L5b.html
« Last Edit: May 12, 2008, 01:58:04 AM by Plane »