Author Topic: What A Lovely Day For A Wedding  (Read 2394 times)

ZoSo

What A Lovely Day For A Wedding
« on: May 10, 2008, 09:57:56 AM »
Wedding Bells For Bush`s Daughter Jenna Today

"The killer awoke before dawn, he put his tux on."

Marine killed in Iraq will be buried today
She 'was born to be a Marine'

By HOLBROOK MOHR
THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

JACKSON  May 10 --Marine Lance Cpl. Casey Casanova, thought to be the first woman from Mississippi killed in combat in Iraq, will be laid to rest today.

Casanova, a 22-year-old McComb native, is remembered by family and friends as a woman who loved to sing and dance and never met a stranger. She was one of four Marines who died in a roadside bomb attack May 2 in Iraq's Al Anbar province.

Stray Pooch

• Pray tell me, sir, whose dog are you?
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: What A Lovely Day For A Wedding
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2008, 10:24:01 AM »
It is good to see that, in spite of tragedy, life goes on. 

Thank you for sharing that uplifting thought.

Now I will tell you something truly depressing which you, if nobody else, will understand.

Yesterday our local newspaper carried a front page story talking about a manufacturing plant of some sort in nearby Page county that was reopening after being closed for a long time.

The headline read "PAGE PLANT TO RISE AGAIN."

I said to my daughter "Hey look, Led Zeppelin is making a comeback!"

She didn't get the joke.

Neither did my wife.

Or anybody around me.

I'm feeling very old.
Oh, for a muse of fire, that would ascend the brightest heaven of invention . . .

ZoSo

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2008, 10:46:29 PM »
It is good to see that, in spite of tragedy, life goes on. 

Thank you for sharing that uplifting thought.

You're welcome.

There's nothing like a Bush wedding to put life into perspective, is there.

The_Professor

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2008, 11:51:25 AM »
Matthew 24:36-44
36 "But of that day and hour no one knows, not even the angels of heaven, but My Father only.
37 "But as the days of Noah were, so also will the coming of the Son of Man be.
38 "For as in the days before the flood, they were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, until the day that Noah entered the ark,
39 "and did not know until the flood came and took them all away, so also will the coming of the Son of Man be.
40 "Then two men will be in the field: one will be taken and the other left.
41 "Two women will be grinding at the mill: one will be taken and the other left.
42 "Watch therefore, for you do not know what hour your Lord is coming.
43 "But know this, that if the master of the house had known what hour the thief would come, he would have watched and not allowed his house to be broken into.
44 "Therefore you also be ready, for the Son of Man is coming at an hour you do not expect.

A friend of mine uses these Scripture verses, Jenna's wedding, in conjunction with the jobLESS reprots and the declining economy AND the debacle called Iraq to determine God is coming again.

The moral? We all use events toward developing our own opinions about what is and might happen, and they are typcially inaccurate as they are based upon incomplete data. So, enjoy the days given to you and chill MORE and worry less...Weddings happen, tragedy happens...life does indeed go on!

Pooch, hey, I am old enough to understand your comment! lol
"Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for western civilization as it commits suicide."
                                 -- Jerry Pournelle, Ph.D

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2008, 10:55:04 PM »
My grandfather, a Methodist minister, used to say that anything could be "proven" by the Bible.

To wit:

"And Judas went and hanged himself."

"Go thou, and do likewise."

===================================
There have been many better auguries of the Second Coming in them in the past 2000 years than Jenna Bush's wedding, I think.

I would not hold my breath.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Stray Pooch

• Pray tell me, sir, whose dog are you?
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2008, 02:56:33 AM »
Pooch, hey, I am old enough to understand your comment! lol

Yeah, but are you old enough to remember this:

"Kool Aid, Kool Aid,
Tastes great.
Wish we had some,
Can't wait . . ."

Yeah. I've been surfing youtube . . .  :D
Oh, for a muse of fire, that would ascend the brightest heaven of invention . . .

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2008, 09:19:13 AM »
How about

Brusha brusha,
New Ipana toothpaste.

Ipana was sold by a bucktoothed cartoon beaver named Bucky with uncharacteristically white teeth.

http://www.tvacres.com/adanimals_buckybeaver.htm

I imagine that Bucky would be seen as politically incorrect, since he might cause some poor bucktoothed kid to be named "Bucky".

Then there was "How do you spell relief?"  R-O-L-A-I-D-S.

The_Professor

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2008, 12:59:27 PM »
Let's see: the oldest TV show I can remember watching was "Car 54, where are you?" Remember that?

I also remember Ronald Reagan doing the 20 Mule Team Borax Commercials.
"Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for western civilization as it commits suicide."
                                 -- Jerry Pournelle, Ph.D

Rich

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2008, 01:01:38 PM »
So somehow Jenna Bush's wedding relates to the war in Iraq...

Liberals are seriously fucked up.

Universe Prince

• Of course liberty isn't safe; but it is good.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2008, 03:53:12 PM »

Wedding Bells For Bush`s Daughter Jenna Today

[...]

Marine killed in Iraq will be buried today
She 'was born to be a Marine'

So people should not get married or have a party while there is a war on, or just people with the last name of Bush?
Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever.
--Hieronymus Karl Frederick Baron von Munchausen ("The Adventures of Baron Munchausen" [1988])--

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2008, 05:44:50 PM »
Let's see: the oldest TV show I can remember watching was "Car 54, where are you?" Remember that?
==================
Yes of course. The Keystone Kops revisited, with dumb dialog in lieu of dangerous car chases.
============================================
I also remember Ronald Reagan doing the 20 Mule Team Borax Commercials.

I wonder what he hell happened to 20 Mule Team Borax. It seemed like the perfect product: the company owned all the Borax in the world that was commercially exploitable, apparently. They dug it out of the ground and put it in boxes and sold it for over 50 cents a pound.

My mother used it. It was supposed to make your clothes smell clean. They smelled clean if you used any detergent, really, without the Borax. What it really did was make them smell like Borax. Not a bad smell, but not the best smell either. Not as good as Mistolin, for example.

They don't sell it anymore. Did they dig it all up? Is it too expensive to ship it? Doesn't it work well with non Trisodium Phosphate detergents?

There was another product that was sold to mix with potting soil so plants could send out roots easier. It was called Vermiculite, but I think it was really a form of asbestos that would cause cancer it you breathed enough of it. It poisoned most of the people who mined it and many of their family members.

Now that I googled it, I see that they still seem to sell Borax, but they don't advertise it, and it is not in any supermarket where I shop.

It must have not been as necessary as my mother thought it was.

==========================
I see no reason for Bush's daughter not to get married. It would not bother me if he still played golf. But they made fun of Ike for that, so I suppose it might lower his already abysmal ratings.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2008, 05:46:24 PM by Xavier_Onassis »

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2008, 05:50:32 PM »
They don't sell it anymore. Did they dig it all up? Is it too expensive to ship it? Doesn't it work well with non Trisodium Phosphate detergents?

Sure they do.

I've told you that already. My father uses it all the time for cleaning up after working with machine parts.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2008, 06:17:11 PM »
But somehow, it is no longer advertised or used hardly at all, in comparison to back i the 1950's and '60's.

My point is that a largely useless product can be turned into a major consumer staple quite easily through advertising. I imagine that it is a lot more useful to your father than it was to my mother and all the other housewives who all used it back in the 1950's.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2008, 07:02:15 PM »
My point is that a largely useless product can be turned into a major consumer staple quite easily through advertising. I imagine that it is a lot more useful to your father than it was to my mother and all the other housewives who all used it back in the 1950's.

Borax is a major ingredient in many "scrubbing" products. I bet you have some in your kitchen or bathroom, just sold under a different name.

Look for sodium borate, sodium tetraborate, or disodium tetraborate.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

fatman

« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2008, 08:36:40 PM »

Ami's right, they still sell it.  It works great for taking pet/dog odors out of carpeting, in my experience it works just as well as any commercial product, and is cheaper and "greener".

I add some sugar and salt to borax and put it in a gallon zip-lock bag, and use that to cure salmon roe (eggs).  For bait, not for food.