Author Topic: Maybe I Should Move to California  (Read 19154 times)

Rich

Re: Maybe I Should Move to California
« Reply #75 on: May 20, 2008, 06:12:04 PM »
>>Why, because you say so.(?)<<

So I presume you prefer the term "handicapable"?

Actually, everybody says so. Deafness is a handicap. Blindness is a handicap. However, a handicap doesn't mean you are any less human or less able.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #76 on: May 20, 2008, 06:18:21 PM »
You see Prince, while i admire your libertarian approach to this debate, and how noble it is for a person with a hearing disability not wanting to aknowledge it as such, I'm still on the side of medicine.  Your arguement of "I say so" is about as valid as telling a Dr that their dx of someone's brain cancer is simply their "say so", or that an Audiologist's conclusions of hearing loss is simply their "say so".  My "say so" is simply consistent with medicine and function.  A person who has severely worse hearing has a disability, when compared to those who don't.  That's why they have special schools, classes where families can learn to sign, all kinds of special...fill in the blank.  They're there to help said person with their disability so they can better function, on as equal as terms of those with completely functional hearing.  It's still a disability, and while we all can admire those who don't wish to call their disability a disability, and wish not to look for any assistance, it remains egregiously cruel to want that same amount of handicap on a child who has no choice in the matter.  Simple as that
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #77 on: May 20, 2008, 06:19:14 PM »
>>Why, because you say so.(?)<<

Actually, everybody says so.  Deafness is a handicap.  Blindness is a handicap.  However, a handicap doesn't mean you are any less human or less able.

Well said, Rich
« Last Edit: May 20, 2008, 07:48:45 PM by sirs »
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #78 on: May 20, 2008, 07:22:08 PM »
Actually, everybody says so. Deafness is a handicap. Blindness is a handicap. However, a handicap doesn't mean you are any less human or less able.

==========================================
Not less human, but please, don;t tell us that Stevie Wonder is no less able a driver, please.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Universe Prince

• Of course liberty isn't safe; but it is good.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #79 on: May 20, 2008, 07:48:47 PM »

I'm still on the side of medicine.

Then let's see some medical argument rather than an unsupported assertion that someone not 100% functioning is disabled.

Your arguement of "I say so" is about as valid as telling a Dr that their dx of someone's brain cancer is simply their "say so", or that an Audiologist's conclusions of hearing loss is simply their "say so".

Not at all. No one is saying deaf people are not deaf. Not even the deaf people. The question is whether being deaf is a disability. You say it is. The deaf couple says it isn't. I ask, why should I believe you? And all you can muster is, basically, because you know it is. That is not good enough.

That's why they have special schools, classes where families can learn to sign, all kinds of special...fill in the blank.  They're there to help said person with their disability so they can better function, on as equal as terms of those with completely functional hearing.

So it's a disability because we treat them as being disabled. That seems somewhat circular.
Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever.
--Hieronymus Karl Frederick Baron von Munchausen ("The Adventures of Baron Munchausen" [1988])--

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #80 on: May 20, 2008, 07:50:05 PM »
I doubt anyone's making that claim Xo.      ::)

Universe Prince

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #81 on: May 20, 2008, 07:51:56 PM »

So I presume you prefer the term "handicapable"?

I don't prefer any term at all.

Actually, everybody says so.

Oh. Well then it must be true. Everybody says so. Except, of course, for the people who don't. Which brings us right back to where we were.
Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever.
--Hieronymus Karl Frederick Baron von Munchausen ("The Adventures of Baron Munchausen" [1988])--

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #82 on: May 20, 2008, 07:58:05 PM »
I'm still on the side of medicine.

Then let's see some medical argument rather than an unsupported assertion that someone not 100% functioning is disabled.

Made it already.  As I said, just because you don't like the answer doesn't make the answer any less valid

Your arguement of "I say so" is about as valid as telling a Dr that their dx of someone's brain cancer is simply their "say so", or that an Audiologist's conclusions of hearing loss is simply their "say so".

Not at all. No one is saying deaf people are not deaf. Not even the deaf people. The question is whether being deaf is a disability. You say it is. The deaf couple says it isn't. I ask, why should I believe you? And all you can muster is, basically, because you know it is. That is not good enough.

Sorry if medical science isn't good enough for yas, Prince.  Don't know what to tell you, outside of what's already been said, that those who don't want to acknowledge their disability as a disability can be applauded.  But trying to lay claim that because they don't believe it is for them, so it's ok for a normal child to have their hearing purposely impaired is being severely selfish and cruel

That's why they have special schools, classes where families can learn to sign, all kinds of special...fill in the blank.  They're there to help said person with their disability so they can better function, on as equal as terms of those with completely functional hearing.

So it's a disability because we treat them as being disabled. That seems somewhat circular.

It's that medical science thing, again.  And last time I checked, all those schools & classes were optional.  So, basically your claiming that disabled people treat themselves as being disabled.  Yea, that is circular

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #83 on: May 20, 2008, 08:03:29 PM »

Definition of "Disabled" from a medical dictionary:

dis-a-bled
adj.

Impaired, as in physical functioning.

Definition of "Hearing Impaired" from the same dictionary:

hear-ing-im-paired
adj.

1. Having a diminished or defective sense of hearing, but not deaf; hard of hearing.
   2. Completely incapable of hearing; deaf.

So, according to a medical dictionary, someone who cannot hear is "impaired" or "disabled".
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Universe Prince

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #84 on: May 20, 2008, 08:10:28 PM »

Made it already.

Where?

Sorry if medical science isn't good enough for yas, Prince.

Still waiting for you to provide it.

But trying to lay claim that because they don't believe it is for them,

Not what I said.

And last time I checked, all those schools & classes were optional.  So, basically your claiming that disabled people treat themselves as being disabled.  Yea, that is circular

You made the argument so I'm being circular? Now you're just talking nonsense, Sirs.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #85 on: May 20, 2008, 08:12:05 PM »
Thanks Ami....not that it'll get Prince to look past his already made up mind, but the supporting back up is appreciated

Universe Prince

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #86 on: May 20, 2008, 08:17:13 PM »

Ah. Now see, there is a good start for an argument. So a dictionary says deafness is a disability. The deaf couple says it isn't. So why should the medical dictionary, or the opinion of someone who thinks it is, have more weight than that of the deaf couple. The deaf couple might be wrong, but I suppose I am looking for more than because people say so as a reason.

Universe Prince

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #87 on: May 20, 2008, 08:19:35 PM »

Thanks Ami....not that it'll get Prince to look past his already made up mind, but the supporting back up is appreciated

That's just it, Sirs. My mind is not already made up. That your arguments are weak and flimsy does not mean my mind is inflexible.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #88 on: May 20, 2008, 08:24:58 PM »

So a dictionary says deafness is a disability. The deaf couple says it isn't. So why should the medical dictionary, or the opinion of someone who thinks it is, have more weight than that of the deaf couple. The deaf couple might be wrong, but I suppose I am looking for more than because people say so as a reason.

::)

Yea, your mind isn't made up........no, not at all

Universe Prince

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #89 on: May 20, 2008, 11:18:22 PM »

The deaf couple might be wrong, but I suppose I am looking for more than because people say so as a reason.

Yea, your mind isn't made up........no, not at all

Yes, exactly. Again, that your arguments are weak and flimsy does not mean my mind is inflexible. I am acknowledging that I can be persuaded, that the position of the deaf couple might be wrong. What have you said? Have you said your position might be wrong? Have you said anything to indicate you might be persuaded to change your position. Not that I can tell. You won't even give straight answers to straight questions. So for you to criticize me for supposedly having made up my mind is certainly a bit of a double standard.