Author Topic: Italy deals with unwanted immigrants  (Read 12637 times)

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Nonsense about Fascism
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2008, 09:49:50 AM »
"Isn't it very important to point out that Fascists are people?
Isn't it important to observe that responsibility is individual?
How, if you insult all of fascism can you ever encourage moderate fascists?
Fascism isn't monolithic is it? Does it not behoove us to encourage the growth of moderate Fascism?"

A Fascist is a person who believes that everyone must follow their Fascist leader.
To the Fascist, the mob is in the right and to not follow that mob is irresponsible.

There is no such thing as a moderate Fascist. What would a "moderate Fascist" profess: to follow the leader more slowly, or less frequently? To tattoo the Jews in lieu of gassing them?

Fascism is by its very nature monolithic. There is no such thing as moderate Fascism.
=======================================
On the other hand, the Italians have a right to expel unwanted Roma from Italy if they so desire. Iyt wpould make the most sense to expel those that are gulty of committing a crime.  They don't have the right to put them into interment camps or to kill them, however.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

_JS

• Salaires legers. Chars lourds.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: Italy deals with unwanted immigrants
« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2008, 03:46:21 PM »
They have no such right to expel the Roma.

I am truly amazed at the people in this forum. Y'all cannot even muster phony outrage? At least some of the Italian politicians did that post facto.

I smell something burning, hope it's just my brains.
They're only dropping peppermints and daisy-chains
   So stuff my nose with garlic
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster
   Tell me lies about Vietnam.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2008, 03:49:26 PM »

A government does not have the right to secure it's borders?
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2008, 04:03:00 PM »

Arn't some of the Roma born in Italy ?

What are the requirements of Italian citizenship?

_JS

• Salaires legers. Chars lourds.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2008, 04:03:40 PM »

Italy has to follow European Union regulations as well. The Roma have the right to travel from one EU country into another.

No government has the right to flagrantly violate human rights (also protected by the EU).
I smell something burning, hope it's just my brains.
They're only dropping peppermints and daisy-chains
   So stuff my nose with garlic
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster
   Tell me lies about Vietnam.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2008, 04:30:15 PM »
Italy has to follow European Union regulations as well. The Roma have the right to travel from one EU country into another.

Those laws specify that freedom of movement is limited to "economically active" persons - in other words, they are present in the host country for work. If they are not working for an Italian employer, they can be ejected from the country.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: May 21, 2008, 04:32:43 PM »
Arn't some of the Roma born in Italy ?

What are the requirements of Italian citizenship?

Being born in Italy is not enough - at least one of your parents must be Italian, or your parent's nationality cannot be determined (orphans), or they must have been determined to be "stateless".

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: May 21, 2008, 05:47:36 PM »
The Gypsies that are the biggest problem are not the local ones, but those that have come from non-EU countries like Romania, and the parts of the former Yugoslavia that are not part of the EU. I think only Slovenia is a full-fledged EU member at the moment.

At the very least the Italians have the right to lock up pickpockets, scam artists and others practicing some of the better-known Gypsy scams.

Here in the US there are fortunately few Gypsies. Here in Miami they come down when it gets cold up in Jersey. They like to claim that they know how to do autobody work, which they don't. They fill dents with bondo, get a deposit and promise to return the next day, but don't.

There are also a bunch of traditional Irish and English thieves and con men known as the Travelers, who tend to have a base in North Carolina. They like to pretend that they are home repairmen, which they aren't.

« Last Edit: May 21, 2008, 06:20:11 PM by Xavier_Onassis »

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: May 21, 2008, 05:58:27 PM »
The Gypsies that are the biggest problem are not the local ones, but those that have come from non-EU countries like Romania, and the parts of the former Yugoslavia that are not part of the EU. I think only Slovenia is a full-fledged EU member at the moment.

Romania became a member of the EU last year.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: May 21, 2008, 06:21:30 PM »
Romania became a member of the EU last year.
===============================================

Romania is not a full-fledged member and immigrants do not have a free pass yet.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: May 21, 2008, 07:05:58 PM »
Romania is not a full-fledged member and immigrants do not have a free pass yet.

It became an Associated State of the EU in 1995, an Acceding Country in 2004, and a member on January 1, 2007.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #41 on: May 21, 2008, 10:18:35 PM »
I am not convinced that the govt incited the violence . A child was kidnapped. The Roma were suspected by the same villagers who did the violence. Where is the hand of govt in this.

To imply that people are sheeple and will follow any demagoguery didn't seem to follow suit with Rev. Wrights remarks. Or did i miss the rampages that followed each of his sermons.

And I'm not sure where you get that i am defending anyone.

I do think the article cherry picked instances to go along with whatever narrative the author is espousing.

But what else is new?

Universe Prince

• Of course liberty isn't safe; but it is good.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: May 22, 2008, 02:52:57 AM »

I am not convinced that the govt incited the violence . A child was kidnapped. The Roma were suspected by the same villagers who did the violence. Where is the hand of govt in this.

A child was not kidnapped. A Roma was accused of attempting to kidnap a child. And the accusation seems unlikely to be true. As for the hand of government, the Italian government seems to be quite willing to blame and oust Gypsies. What we are seeing is a distrust (I'm being polite) of Gypsies that is institutionalized and entrenched. If you want to argue that the government is not inciting the people, fine by me. It takes us back to what I said before. The people are getting the authoritarianism they're demanding.

To imply that people are sheeple and will follow any demagoguery didn't seem to follow suit with Rev. Wrights remarks. Or did i miss the rampages that followed each of his sermons.

Did I miss the part where someone implied the people only burned the Gypsy camp because the government said they should?

And I'm not sure where you get that i am defending anyone.

Well, you do seem to be downplaying all of this as if it really isn't any big deal.

We get lots of talk here about the threat of terrorism and "Islamofascism", and how people who don't agree war is the best way to handle this threat are ignoring the reality of the situation. A Gypsy camp gets burned down in an attempt at a sort of ethnic cleansing, and few people seem criticize this and it prompts at least one poster to "sing" happily about it. This seems inconsistent.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2008, 02:54:34 AM by Universe Prince »
Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever.
--Hieronymus Karl Frederick Baron von Munchausen ("The Adventures of Baron Munchausen" [1988])--

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: May 22, 2008, 03:07:03 AM »
Did I miss the part where someone implied the people only burned the Gypsy camp because the government said they should?

Then why the report of the attack and then the claim that the govt was inciting violence?

Are you now saying they are unrelated?

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: May 22, 2008, 03:10:32 AM »
Well, you do seem to be downplaying all of this as if it really isn't any big deal.

Downplaying is not an accurate description of my position.

I don't think your post provided enough information to form an opinion. I just don't see where you have made the case for cause and effect.