Author Topic: Gas prices in other countries  (Read 23315 times)

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Gas prices in other countries
« Reply #75 on: May 28, 2008, 05:56:08 PM »
If their books do not tell the whole story, and they wish to hide what is inconvenient fpor them to show, then how is anyone supposed to such evidence?  But the ways of furgling the books of oil companies are well-known to anyone who has studied the subject.

Well-known, apparently, to many except their auditors.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #76 on: May 28, 2008, 05:58:39 PM »
And all the while, with all the hyperbolic acccusations, with all the official investigations, and organized committees desginated to look into "big oil", their profits, supposed price gouging, & price manipulation, not 1 SHRED of evidence to support ANY of the allegations.  No indictments, no NOTHING

But "obviously" they must be doing something sinsister, if not illegal.        ::)
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #77 on: May 28, 2008, 05:59:10 PM »
don`t forget they`re selling a product will a shelf life
the oil itself can last quite awhile,but gas actually doesn`t last very long
it kinda say something about how much we consume if people don`t know gasoline spoils
our consumption rate is very high
people who mow lawns seasonally know this fact.

Universe Prince

• Of course liberty isn't safe; but it is good.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #78 on: May 28, 2008, 05:59:18 PM »

If their books do not tell the whole story, and they wish to hide what is inconvenient fpor them to show, then how is anyone supposed to such evidence?  But the ways of furgling the books of oil companies are well-known to anyone who has studied the subject.

Like all good conspiracy theories, supposedly anyone who studies the matter just knows that the conspiracy exists because the lack of evidence proves the conspiracy exists.
Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever.
--Hieronymus Karl Frederick Baron von Munchausen ("The Adventures of Baron Munchausen" [1988])--

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #79 on: May 28, 2008, 06:02:35 PM »

Like all good conspiracy theories, supposedly anyone who studies the matter just knows that the conspiracy exists because the lack of evidence proves the conspiracy exists.

Ooo, ooo, I know who's a leading advocate of that mindset....lack of evidence on x = proof of x.  And again, welcome back, Tee    ;)
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #80 on: May 28, 2008, 06:12:36 PM »
don`t forget they`re selling a product will a shelf life
the oil itself can last quite awhile,but gas actually doesn`t last very long
it kinda say something about how much we consume if people don`t know gasoline spoils
our consumption rate is very high
people who mow lawns seasonally know this fact.

================================================
Gasoline in huge storage tanks does not, in fact, spoil very rapidly, because it is not exposed to circulating air or water. In a lawnmower, where there is just a small quantity exposed to the air and moisture in the air, it can gel and gum up the carburator. It will keep for over a year in a full tank of a modern car.

To prevent this, allow the gasoline to run out, or put a small quantity of stabilizer (such as Sta-Bil) in the gas tank.

And welcome back, Tee
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #81 on: May 28, 2008, 09:04:47 PM »

If Exxon receives the support of the Navy or some other part of the US military, then they DO have an obligation to supply the people of this country with oil and gas.

What?

I don't get that one.

_JS

• Salaires legers. Chars lourds.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #82 on: May 28, 2008, 11:28:56 PM »
And all the while, with all the hyperbolic acccusations, with all the official investigations, and organized committees desginated to look into "big oil", their profits, supposed price gouging, & price manipulation, not 1 SHRED of evidence to support ANY of the allegations.  No indictments, no NOTHING

But "obviously" they must be doing something sinsister, if not illegal.        ::)

On the contrary, memos indicated that refineries were closed in the 1990's purposefully to decrease supply and increase price. There have also been memos indicating collusion to force out small business refiners and suppliers of petroleum.

You are simply wrong Sirs.

CBS News Story
Chevron Memo
Texaco Memo
Mobil Email
Senator Wyden's Report

BBC News Story

From the BBC:
But the primary motive behind the lack of US refinery new builds is a basic one, a lack of profits for oil companies.

In the 1980s and 90s, the fashion for American refineries was not to build more, but to close existing ones.

In 2001, Senator Ron Wyden authored a comprehensive report on the state of the US refining industry.

He noted that between 1995 and 2001 there were a total of 24 refinery closures in the United States.

These lost America around 830,000 barrels per day of gasoline. That is about the same amount of capacity lost to Katrina alone.

Wyden uncovered several memos and internal documents from major oil companies. These charted the way that capacity in the US refining industry was reduced to maintain higher profits.

Wyden received one such memo from oil company Texaco, written in 1996. The company felt it was quite clear that petrol supplies needed "reducing."

"The most critical factor facing the refining industry on the West Coast is the surplus refining capacity, and the surplus gasoline production capacity," said the memo.

"The same situation exists for the entire US refining industry. Supply significantly exceeds demand year-round. This results in very poor refinery margins, and very poor refinery financial results. Significant events need to occur to assist in reducing supplies and/or increasing the demand for gasoline."

The same basic premise has operated in Europe. Not only have no new refineries been built for two decade; there are no plans to build any in the future.

There is a plan for one small 150,000 bpd US refinery in Arizona near the town of Welton, but even that has many hurdles to overcome.

Telegraph Story on Shell
I smell something burning, hope it's just my brains.
They're only dropping peppermints and daisy-chains
   So stuff my nose with garlic
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster
   Tell me lies about Vietnam.

Universe Prince

• Of course liberty isn't safe; but it is good.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #83 on: May 28, 2008, 11:48:18 PM »
from the Chevron Memo linked above: "Unocal is exploring sale of three refineries and 1,441 gasoline stations in California due to low West Coast refining margins and high capital expenditures required to comply with stringent environmental regulations." Really? Stringent environmental regulations? Complying with them cuts into profits? Huh. I wish I had known about that. I might have said something about it... oh, wait, that's right, I did.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2008, 02:19:49 AM by Universe Prince »
Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever.
--Hieronymus Karl Frederick Baron von Munchausen ("The Adventures of Baron Munchausen" [1988])--

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #84 on: May 29, 2008, 01:04:59 AM »
I think I did too, Prince.  Go figure.  When a company's effort to build new refineries is made so cost prohibitive, is it no wonder there's been so little new building?
« Last Edit: May 29, 2008, 01:12:35 AM by sirs »

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #85 on: May 29, 2008, 01:10:40 AM »

If Exxon receives the support of the Navy or some other part of the US military, then they DO have an obligation to supply the people of this country with oil and gas.

What?

I don't get that one.

I still don't get it , if they make better profit selling to Switzerland , why shouldn't they?

_JS

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #86 on: May 29, 2008, 03:55:11 PM »
from the Chevron Memo linked above: "Unocal is exploring sale of three refineries and 1,441 gasoline stations in California due to low West Coast refining margins and high capital expenditures required to comply with stringent environmental regulations." Really? Stringent environmental regulations? Complying with them cuts into profits? Huh. I wish I had known about that. I might have said something about it... oh, wait, that's right, I did.

And of course, you read the rest of it, correct Prince?
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster

_JS

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #87 on: May 29, 2008, 03:56:23 PM »
I think I did too, Prince.  Go figure.  When a company's effort to build new refineries is made so cost prohibitive, is it no wonder there's been so little new building?

And of course, you see that your statement:

And all the while, with all the hyperbolic acccusations, with all the official investigations, and organized committees desginated to look into "big oil", their profits, supposed price gouging, & price manipulation, not 1 SHRED of evidence to support ANY of the allegations.  No indictments, no NOTHING

...is completely false Sirs?
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #88 on: May 29, 2008, 04:00:58 PM »
No, not false at all.  Where are the indictments??  Where's the illegal activity??  Where's the unlawful conduct??  When the rubber hits the road there is none, outside of the continued issues regarding supply and demand and the continued efforts to BLOCK & IMPEDE any effort to increase supply by the enviromental lobby and those politicians/judges beholden to them

_JS

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #89 on: May 29, 2008, 04:03:10 PM »
No, not false at all.  Where are the indictments??  Where's the illegal activity??  Where's the unlawful conduct??  When the rubber hits the road there is none, outside of the continued issues regarding supply and demand and the continued efforts to BLOCK & IMPEDE any effort to increase supply by the enviromental lobby and those politicians/judges beholden to them

Did you not read the articles? Did you not see where Shell broke the law? Where the oil companies closed refineries to decrease supply and increase profits?

I provide you the documents, and yet you refuse to read them. They completely contradict your statement.
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster