Author Topic: The State of Englishness  (Read 28809 times)

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: The State of Englishness
« Reply #150 on: June 03, 2008, 06:34:21 PM »
You haven't defined "culture", which is a central part of your statement.
=====================
Come now. Used the Wikipedia or dictionary definition and get on with it.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #151 on: June 03, 2008, 10:36:02 PM »
And you still have not answered questions that are about the nature of your objection.

What objection is that?

BTW since when did your positions become exempt from criticism and or examination.

Are we supposed to accept your declarations as infallible or else face the sharp edge of your sarcasm or possibly be subjected to a snit fit because your position is parsed?

Talk about nonsense.

Sheeesh

« Last Edit: June 03, 2008, 11:00:59 PM by BT »

Stray Pooch

• Pray tell me, sir, whose dog are you?
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #152 on: June 03, 2008, 10:36:51 PM »
You missed a part. A theory in "pure science", in addition to explaining observed data, also has to be able to predict future finds. If it cannot do so, then it is not scientific.

I figured if anything needed correcting you would be there to take up the slack.  Thanks.
Oh, for a muse of fire, that would ascend the brightest heaven of invention . . .

Stray Pooch

• Pray tell me, sir, whose dog are you?
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #153 on: June 03, 2008, 10:38:31 PM »
Dare we even ask whether anal sex is possible for rats?

Apparently, you did - and I wish da heck you hadn't!!!!!!
Oh, for a muse of fire, that would ascend the brightest heaven of invention . . .

Universe Prince

• Of course liberty isn't safe; but it is good.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #154 on: June 03, 2008, 11:44:17 PM »

What objection is that?

At this point, the apparent objection to the notion that people are influenced by the culture in which they live.

BTW since when did your positions become exempt from criticism and or examination.

Are we supposed to accept your declarations as infallible or else face the sharp edge of your sarcasm or possible be subjected to a snit fit because your position is parsed?

Talk about nonsense.

Sheeesh

Says the man who refuses to answer questions. Sheesh indeed.

Yeah, what you said is nonsense. Because I never said my positions were exempt from criticism or examination. I believe said the opposite. Plane said, "We are just haveing a Debate , you know enough somehow to assert your opinions , let us oppose you by fairly examineing the origions of your assertions." To which I replied, "Please, by all means do so. I welcome it." But once again, rather than pay attention to what I said, you're making up nonsense and ascribing it to me. By no honest stretch of the imagination is that in any way criticism or examination of my positions. That would, in point of fact, be you tilting at strawmen.

Please, by all means, pay attention to what I say and criticize it as suits you. Even though I know you refuse to answer my questions, I will still be happy to explain my position (at least once or twice), or even correct it if I discover I'm wrong (as I did regarding the Jena 6 matter). When you make up nonsense on your own and criticize me for it, that is decidedly not criticizing what I said. When you indirectly accuse me of considering people to be racist merely because they disagree with me on immigration, that is not an examination of my position. Your choice of words, your choice to ignore my questions, you choice to criticize me for things you try to ascribe to me that I have not said, these choices indicate clearly that this conversation is about criticizing me, not about criticizing merely my comments and certainly not about examining my positions.

I've had good and lengthy conversations with others about my positions on various subjects. I am not afraid of criticism or defending my positions, and I think my record here will bear this out. So this notion that I am claiming my positions are above criticism merely because I refuse to play along with your apparent desire to criticize me, it is simply more nonsense from you.

I'm not going to apologize for refusing to lay down so you can walk over me, and I refuse to accept responsibility for your unwillingness to address straightforward questions or even to engage in an exchange merely of definitions.

No, I'm not being sarcastic, and yes, this is the nice version.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2008, 11:48:17 PM by Universe Prince »
Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever.
--Hieronymus Karl Frederick Baron von Munchausen ("The Adventures of Baron Munchausen" [1988])--

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #155 on: June 04, 2008, 12:09:15 AM »
And yet you still haven't defined the terms culture or racism as you use them in you position.

So when i ask whether being influenced by the culture is like a buffet where you get to pick and choose your influences you call it a nonsense question yet in this same thread you qualified your statement to say influenced "in part"  which to me at least indicates that it is not in fact an all or nothing proposition.

So who is the criticizer in this thread?

Universe Prince

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #156 on: June 04, 2008, 12:18:07 AM »

And yet you still haven't defined the terms culture or racism as you use them in you position.

We've been over this. You give your definitions, and then I'll give mine.

So when i ask whether being influenced by the culture is like a buffet where you get to pick and choose your influences you call it a nonsense question yet in this same thread you qualified your statement to say influenced "in part"  which to me at least indicates that it is not in fact an all or nothing proposition.

Actually, I said it was a silly question. If you wanted to ask me about my "in part" qualifier, then why didn't you? In part, in this case, means there are other influences besides culture.

So who is the criticizer in this thread?

You. Still you.
Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever.
--Hieronymus Karl Frederick Baron von Munchausen ("The Adventures of Baron Munchausen" [1988])--

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #157 on: June 04, 2008, 12:38:59 AM »
We've been over this.

Yes we have. My definitions are not relevant to your position. Your definitions are relevant to your position.

Actually, I said it was a silly question. If you wanted to ask me about my "in part" qualifier, then why didn't you? In part, in this case, means there are other influences besides culture.

How would we know that if you haven't defined the parameters of "culture".

Perhaps you can give examples of "other influences".

Universe Prince

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #158 on: June 04, 2008, 01:52:58 AM »

My definitions are not relevant to your position. Your definitions are relevant to your position.

As I said before, you are either denying or refuse to address the notion that people are shaped by the culture in which they live, so I'd say your definition of culture is quite relevant. To the discussion and to your position, if you have one, not to my position. I never said your definition was relevant to my position. In any case, I'm not asking you for anything difficult. This is not the twelve labors of Hercules. You give your definitions, and then I'll give mine.

If you wanted to ask me about my "in part" qualifier, then why didn't you? In part, in this case, means there are other influences besides culture.

How would we know that if you haven't defined the parameters of "culture".

Easy. By asking me about the "in part" qualifier. I'm not using obscure language. If you had a question about the "in part" and you did not ask it, that is in no way my fault. It would, in fact, be your fault. So stop blaming me.

Perhaps you can give examples of "other influences".

Perhaps you can answer questions.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2008, 01:54:43 AM by Universe Prince »

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #159 on: June 04, 2008, 10:28:07 AM »
As I said before, you are either denying or refuse to address the notion that people are shaped by the culture in which they live, so I'd say your definition of culture is quite relevant.

Hard to address a notion if you don't know the parameters of the notion.

But in the spirit of debate i will firmly state that i am agnostic about your position, pending further clarification.

I'm certainly not interested in playing "what do you think i meant by that?"

And apparently you are fearful that if you clarify your position it will be criticized.

So it goes.

Universe Prince

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #160 on: June 04, 2008, 01:48:04 PM »

Hard to address a notion if you don't know the parameters of the notion.

Is it? You seemed to find it easy enough when you said, "I am beginning to get the impression that being a racist is ok. Can't help it. Embedded in our culture dontcha know." You didn't seem to find it that hard when you said, "The actual argument is that society is racist because historically it has been racist. It doesn't matter one bit whether individuals who make up that society are racist or not The group association sticks." But now you can't address this particular notion because someone else hasn't defined the word "culture" for you? You're being ridiculous.

But in the spirit of debate i will firmly state that i am agnostic about your position, pending further clarification.

Perhaps someday in the spirit of debate, you will answer questions. Or at least clearly provide and argue for an opposing position, you know, like in a debate.

I'm certainly not interested in playing "what do you think i meant by that?"

Neither am I. You give your definitions, and then I'll give mine.

And apparently you are fearful that if you clarify your position it will be criticized.

So it goes.

Actually, I know it will. But no, I don't fear criticism, as I have already explained. Your childish attempt to shame me into giving in didn't work. Next time trying making chicken noises and saying "'fraidy cat, 'fraidy cat" repeatedly. It won't work any better, but it would be more honest.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #161 on: June 04, 2008, 03:01:08 PM »
I noted a point of dimishing returns a while ago.

Is there some diffrent way to say these things?

_JS

• Salaires legers. Chars lourds.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #162 on: June 04, 2008, 03:39:34 PM »
The definition of a word is backed by science?  Now I've heard everything.  Tell me, what experiments were run to test the definition.  What controls were put on the experiment?  What was done to eliminate bias?

No, providing a book and an author doesn't prove anything.  Science was used to prove eugenics was true, too - and that was far more scientific than anything supporting a definition.  We are talking semantics, not mathematics.  Your author may well have documented some ideas to support his definition, and those incidents/statistics/etc. might all be true in themselves.  That does not entitle him to redefine the word.

*sigh* If you wish to argue semantics that's not a problem. Just let me know.

You didn't say the British colonized this country for slavery (which would also have been nonsense).  You said this nation was built on slavery.  I repeat that is nonsense, and whatever the original colonial powers did here is irrevelant except as historical background.  The United States was built on the concept that representative government was superior to monarchy.

The United States, in practical economic terms, was built upon slavery.

Thanks for the history lesson.  Now why don't you try looking at the history of the NATION, rather than the history of SLAVERY, which is only one small part thereof.  This is, again, an example of bias.  You view the United States as a racist nation, rather than as a nation which had - as virtually all nations have had - a history that includes racial strife.

As if your view is not one of bias. Obviously I'm looking at it from a view of racial strife, that is the point of this discussion.

Baloney.  Neither are acccurate.  You overinflate the reality of the long history of racism in America to suit your view of this nation.  You grossly exaggerate the progress of equality in this country by confining it to the few "effective" years of legislation.  What absolute nonsense.  So society is exactly where it was in 1964, huh?  So Brown vs Board of Education in 1954 had no effect on schools?  Hey wait, that's TEN years between a MAJOR civil rights victory and another MAJOR civil rights victory.  That is DOUBLE your estimate without even considering the effect of the forty and fifty years we have lived since those decisions.  And what about all of the court decisions that were still being made in the 1970's concerning school desegregation some 20 years after Brown?  There is FOUR TIMES your estimate.  So I would classify your estimates, even as estimates of effective government action to overturn racism, as the third kind of lie.

You speak of how far American society came and then you disprove yourself by stating this: "what about all of the court decisions that were still being made in the 1970's concerning school desegregation some 20 years after Brown?" Yes, what about those? Don't you see the problem right there?!?

Shall I really get into scientific evidence of how certain groups of early homo species destroyed others?  Or can we just get into looking at how early civilizations banded together to prey on other races?  Shall I discuss rivalries between different groups, tribes, clans, religions, and all of the other kinds of distinctions?  ANYTHING that sets one group apart from another, and that includes race, is a cause for strife.  It wouldn't matter.  I have seen the silly arguments that ancient civilizations didn't compete because of RACE but because of political rivalries, resources, etc.  All of that is exactly true of American racism.  But again, because it doesn't fit YOUR definition, you can excuse it as "different."  I'm not an anthropologist, and the research (which would be quoted in vain anyway) is too time consuming to be worth it.

Nice strawman. You defeated it with impressive gallantry and courage. The truth is that racism is a much more modern phenomenon, but it is accepted that "humans have been racist since the dawn of time."

Everyday society is not racist.  You are making a false claim.  Blacks are as racist as whites.  Black culture is as racist as white culture, in fact far more so today.   Black racism is just as real as white racism and is just as wrong.

Wait. Everyday society is not racist, but "Black culture is as racist as white culture?" You need to make up your mind.

All of the above.  More often than not the latter due to the former.

I see.

Yes.  Black churches TODAY teach that white men are evil.  There are even white liberals who insist that only white people can be racist.  There are people who defend Reverends Wright and Pfleger and other racists.  Don't pretend that black racism is just part of the lunatic fringe.  It permeates society.  There is NOTHING you can point to today in white culture or in American culture in general that does not have a counterpart in American Black culture - or in any culture in history.  Racism isn't a special discrimination, it is just another way of separating people by difference.  It is not a worse evil than sexism or religious oppression or political domination.  And it is no more a part of our culture than it has been for any other culture EXCEPT that ours is one of the few in history that deliberately tried to put people of many different backgrounds together and make one people out of them, so we get to see the real results, and that includes slavery, Jim Crow, religious oppression and sexism.  This is one of the few societies who took those accepted differences of perspective, examined them, found them wanting and rejected them.   THAT is also a part of our history which you choose to minimize, but it is what makes us unique as a nation.

I choose to see reality and push for something better as opposed to idealizing fiction.

You've told me twice now what I "know."  You have been wrong both times.  I don't KNOW these things and in fact I know otherwise.  How many blacks are taught that white is wrong?  Oh, I'd say about twice the number (per capita) of whites that are taught black is wrong.  But of course, I am making that number up.  Fabrication works pretty well for the left, I thought I'd give it a try.  In reality, I have not done a "scientific" study of how many black people are taught to hate whites.  I wonder if those who have done your so-called "scientific" studies have done so?  It seems that if we are studying "white male deviances" and other such myths, we ought to be studying the whole picture instead of just the self-serving portions.

I offer the scientific studies for you to see. Go look and criticize them for what they are. No one here is saying that scientists are gods. I can read a scientific report or journal just as easily as you can. On the other hand, you just flat out lied and beforehand refused to offer any evidence by setting up your strawman to which you conveniently knocked down. Convenient for you, but difficult for peer review.

Myths like "white male deviance" perhaps?  Scientific studies have shown that black people are intellectually inferior to whites.  They have also show that homosexuality is a mental disorder probably caused by mothers being too close to their sons.  Scientific studies have a history of proving whatever the sponsors want them to or whatever the individual biases of the observers support.  In fact, such studies are seldom "scientific."  They are, instead, statistical.  They find trends and present them as facts.  My son likes to find mathematical relationships in things that do not actually have relationships.  It's easy to do.  It is far more easy to do when you define the result in advance.  I have, for fun, shown several correlations between Lincoln and Bush in another thread, similar to the Lincoln-Kennedy series of coincidences that have been played up for years.  There is no real relationship between those Presidents (other than the obvious historical ones) but the game is fun to play.  That's all your "scientific" proof is.  It's the same, incidentally, with the "scientific" proof that homosexuality is genetic.

Wow. You've seen the difference between correlation and causation. That's Statistics 101 and I'm really happy for you. Most people who have studied social sciences understand that concept as well and that is why peer review exists. The genetics of homosexuality, if they do exist, would have nothing to do with correlation and causation. But nice try at changing the topic.

I understand what Cornel West calls the "Santa Clausification" of King.  But he was, in spite of his personal politics (with which I differ) and his moral deficiencies (which make him no less of a great man - we all have faults) a leader who did dream of an end to racial  disharmony.  I expect if he were alive today he would be a crochety old hell-raiser screaming like Al Sharpton and demanding slave reparations.  But I hope that is not true.  As it is, he died young and left a legacy that everyone can benefit from.  Adams and Jefferson were political rivals who were often out to cut each other's throats, and best friends as well.  We get differing opinions and theories of the union from them both, but we can benefit from both.  And Jefferson was a slave holder who probably boinked at least one of them (as I believe you may have pointed out).  So what?  The work he did was not the completion of the dream of a free, classless, equal society, but it was damn sure a pretty big step in the realization of that dream.  Even MLK said his dream was deeply rooted in the American Dream - and he wasn't talking about home ownership.  The fact is, King's dream has a lot more to do with moving beyond racial differences than your "white male deviance" and mathematical miscalculations do.

Classless & equal societies won't exist under this economic system and King saw that (and spoke to that by the way). But, what is your point here other than taking a shot at me? 

I think that if you are characterizing my posts as bitching about how white males have lost their place in society you have more than proven my point.

Anything sensible to say as opposed to the above?
I smell something burning, hope it's just my brains.
They're only dropping peppermints and daisy-chains
   So stuff my nose with garlic
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster
   Tell me lies about Vietnam.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #163 on: June 04, 2008, 04:53:32 PM »
Is it? You seemed to find it easy enough when you said, "I am beginning to get the impression that being a racist is ok. Can't help it. Embedded in our culture dontcha know." You didn't seem to find it that hard when you said, "The actual argument is that society is racist because historically it has been racist. It doesn't matter one bit whether individuals who make up that society are racist or not The group association sticks." But now you can't address this particular notion because someone else hasn't defined the word "culture" for you? You're being ridiculous.

Since when do you own exclusive rights to sarcasm. Talk about ridiculous.

Or at least clearly provide and argue for an opposing position, you know, like in a debate.

If i am agnostic, pending clarification, i don't have an opposing position.

I don't fear criticism, as I have already explained.

Yet throughout this thread you accuse me of asking questions so i can criticize you, not just your response.

like here:
On the contrary you are either denying or refuse to address the notion that people are shaped by the culture in which they live, so I'd say your definition of culture is quite relevant. And I know how this game works. This is a set up. I expose my thinking, and you criticize, meanwhile you remain guarded and refusing to answer questions. And then I'm supposed to accept that this somehow isn't about criticizing me. Well, I've been nice and played this way long enough. So I'll make a deal. You give your definitions, and then I'll give mine. If you don't want a discussion of ideas, if you're just here to criticize, say so now and we can both move on to more fruitful pursuits.

and here:
So obviously this is not about me being unable to answer questions, but rather about you being deliberately unwilling to do so. Whether you refuse because you cannot or because you simply will not, discussion with you is apparently an exercise in being criticized, sometimes for ideas that you make up on your own, and there is absolutely nothing constructive or profitable in that.

So if there is no fear, why the reluctance to clarify.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #164 on: June 04, 2008, 05:10:52 PM »
"Classless & equal societies won't exist under this economic system......"

Why not?