Author Topic: Half of white women now have a negative perception of Obama  (Read 7663 times)

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
    • "The Religion Of Peace"
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0

White women cold towards Obama
By DAVID PAUL KUHN | 5/29/08 3:14 PM EST 

Barack Obama's favorability ratings among white women have significantly depreciated in recent months, particularly among Democrats and independents, posing an immediate obstacle for the likely Democratic nominee as he moves to shore up his party's base.

According to a new report by The Pew Research Center for the People & the Press, half of white women now have a negative perception of Obama.

Forty-nine percent of white women view Obama unfavorably, while only 43 percent hold a favorable opinion. In February, 36 percent of these women viewed Obama unfavorably while 56 percent had a positive perception of the likely Democratic nominee.

Over the same period, Democratic white women?s negative view of Obama increased from 21 to 35 percent, while their positive view decreased from 72 to 60 percent ? roughly the same rate as white women overall.

White men, in general and among Democrats, have only shown a slight drop off in their perception of Obama one-third of the shift seen in white women. About 20 percent of Democratic white men have an unfavorable view of Obama, a figure which has remained stable since February.

Pew also found that among self-described Clinton supporters, the negative shift against Obama is more severe among women than men.

The Pew findings come as Obama's campaign struggles to close up the primary race while also attempting to avoid the perception of pushing Hillary Clinton out, for fear of offending her most loyal supporters, the largest bloc of which are white women.

Still unknown is whether white women's support for Clinton would translate into problems for Obama in the general election.

Intraparty divisions that arise during the primary season are typically mended over the course of the general election. Bill Clinton struggled with college educated Democrats in the 1992 primary, as did John Kerry with young Democratic voters in the early stages of the 2004 race. Both candidates won back these blocs in the general election.

But the Democratic primary race of 2008 is without modern precedent, insofar as black support for Obama and white female support for Clinton are tied up in the symbolism of each candidate?s historic presidential bid.

"There is some sense of the visceral investment with Clinton," said Celinda Lake, a Democratic strategist. Lake believes once the general election is underway these same white women will gradually move away from McCain over issues, with the expectation that Clinton will campaign on Obama's behalf if he is the nominee.

"In the long run, women will watch Hillary Clinton's reaction, how she's treated by Barack Obama," Lake added.

White women as a whole now prefer John McCain over Obama, by 49 to 41 percent. Last month Obama was ahead of McCain among white women, 49 to 46 percent. The head-to-head matchup between McCain and Obama has not significantly shifted among white men.

"There is no question that white women were, especially older women, not young women, Hillary Clinton's base in the primary and there is going to be some repair work that has to be done," Democratic analyst Anna Greenberg said. "There is no reason to believe that these Democratic white women are not pursuable."

"The priority is going to be to bring back these voters," Greenberg added.

Democrats have come closest to capturing the White House by winning minorities by large margins and nearly splitting white women, as they did in 2000. Republicans have generally relied on their dominance with white men to put them in the White House, while at least winning half the vote among white women.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0508/10691.html

« Last Edit: May 29, 2008, 05:55:39 PM by ChristiansUnited4LessGvt »
"Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!" - Ronald Reagan - June 12, 1987

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: Half of white women now have a negative perception of Obama
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2008, 06:04:30 PM »
One more thing Obama will have to thank Hilary for if he loses to McCain.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2008, 01:16:38 AM »
I hope that McCain gets support for his own qualitys.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2008, 01:22:14 AM »
<<I hope that McCain gets support for his own qualitys.>>

And what would those be?  Corruption, infidelity, boorishness and stupidity? 

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2008, 02:28:54 AM »
<<I hope that McCain gets support for his own qualitys.>>

And what would those be?  Corruption, infidelity, boorishness and stupidity? 

There is a canadate with better integrety availible?

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2008, 04:07:55 AM »
<<There is a canadate with better integrety availible?>>

Yeah, I can find ya one who was never a member of the Keaton Five, who never did favours for Paxson Investments, stuck with his wife from his wedding day until now, never ditched her for a blonde heiress, never called her a "cunt" in public and did not finish in the bottom five of his class.

Who woulda thunk, eh?

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2008, 05:45:07 AM »
<<There is a canadate with better integrety availible?>>

Yeah, I can find ya one who was never a member of the Keaton Five, who never did favours for Paxson Investments, stuck with his wife from his wedding day until now, never ditched her for a blonde heiress, never called her a "cunt" in public and did not finish in the bottom five of his class.

Who woulda thunk, eh?

I didn't say he was perfect , I asked if there was one with more integrety.

Do you happen to know what he did to be included in the Keating five?

You think he was low in his class raniking because of a lack of integrety?

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2008, 07:37:31 AM »
The reasons not to vote for McCain are pretty clear:
(1) He will name more rightwing fools to the Supreme Court
(2) He will continue with Juniorbush's failed foreign policy
(3) He will spend vast amounts more money on an Iraqi Civil War than cannot be won by the US on credit, thereby buggering the dollar even more.
(4) The huge disparity between rich and poor will continue.
(5) The war of the rich on the middle class will continue, causing the middle class to shrink even more.
(6) There will be no medical insurance plan for another four years
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2008, 11:44:39 AM »
<<I didn't say he was perfect , I asked if there was one with more integrety.>>

Yeah, of course - - Obama

<<Do you happen to know what he did to be included in the Keating five?>>

I know exactly what he did.  On behalf of his crooked friend and donor, Charles Keating, he improperly intervened several times to get Federal regulators off the backs of various crooked Keating companies that were defrauding the public of their life savings.  Thus permitting the companies to operate for longer than would otherwise have been the case, defrauding ever more citizens, raking in even more millions in stolen life savings, until the final, inevitable shut-down arrived.  Keating, McCain's buddy, went to jail for five years.  McCain, in a sickening example of Congressional laissez-faire, got off with a slap on the wrist from the Senate.  The people who were robbed of their life savings stayed robbed.

And I can't wait till the American people get their memories refreshed.  What's really funny is that although he piously claimed to have "learned his lesson" from K5 (a joke in itself since anyone with an ounce of basic personal integrity wouldn't have needed the lesson in the first place) McCain much more recently  seemed to be up to his old tricks with a company named Paxson.  This also is going to come out in the wash.

<<You think he was low in his class raniking because of a lack of integrety?>>

Nah, I threw that in as a bonus.  Couldn't resist.  Can't wait for the "3 AM phone call" commercial: Q: who do ya want answering?  A:  The DUMBEST guy in the class!!!  The one who calls his wife a cunt in public.  The 72-year old, who else?

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2008, 01:02:54 PM »
<<Do you happen to know what he did to be included in the Keating five?>>

I know exactly what he did.  On behalf of his crooked friend and donor, Charles Keating, he improperly intervened several times to get Federal regulators off the backs of various crooked Keating companies that were defrauding the public of their life savings.  Thus permitting the companies to operate for longer than would otherwise have been the case, defrauding ever more citizens, raking in even more millions in stolen life savings, until the final, inevitable shut-down arrived.  Keating, McCain's buddy, went to jail for five years.  McCain, in a sickening example of Congressional laissez-faire, got off with a slap on the wrist from the Senate.  The people who were robbed of their life savings stayed robbed.

You do realize that the investigation, which turned up lots of evidence against the other four, determined that there was no evidence of improper behaviour against McCain?
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2008, 01:12:34 PM »
<<You do realize that the investigation, which turned up lots of evidence against the other four, determined that there was no evidence of improper behaviour against McCain?>>

Oh, I'm very aware of what the Senate Ethics Committee found.  That's why I hope the TV campaign will just stick to the facts of the case:  what McCain did, who he did it for, who got hurt and how.  We'll see whose standards are higher, the Senate "Ethics" Committee or the American people's.

I've never produced a video in my life, but I'd LOVE to produce this one.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2008, 01:15:58 PM »
That's why I hope the TV campaign will just stick to the facts of the case:  what McCain did, who he did it for, who got hurt and how.  We'll see whose standards are higher, the Senate "Ethics" Committee or the American people's.

So, what specifically did McCain do?
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2008, 01:29:06 PM »
Basically, McCain met several times with Federal regulators who were investigating the Keating companies' fraudulent practices and used his Senatorial influence to get them to back off, buying time for his crooked buddies.  Time which they used to continue raking in more millions from the unsuspecting American citizens they were defrauding.

I'm hoping they can find the actual victims or their next of kin who were actually defrauded in a time period after the time when the Keating companies would have been shut down but for McCain's interventions on their behalf.  "Ole Gramps' retirement years were ruined and he never recovered.  Never got to buy that bungalow in Arizona that he'd been dreaming of all his life.  Died of a broken heart, he did.  Always dreading the next phone call from the collection agency."  Just an endless parade of ruined Middle Americans, despoiled of their life savings and a graceful retirement by McCain and his evil cohorts.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2008, 01:51:34 PM »
Basically, McCain met several times with Federal regulators who were investigating the Keating companies' fraudulent practices and used his Senatorial influence to get them to back off, buying time for his crooked buddies.  Time which they used to continue raking in more millions from the unsuspecting American citizens they were defrauding.

And where is the evidence of the use of his "Senatorial influence"? In other words, the "facts of the case" that you wanted to make into a movie?

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2008, 02:18:45 PM »
<<And where is the evidence of the use of his "Senatorial influence"? In other words, the "facts of the case" that you wanted to make into a movie?>>

Oh, there's two ways we could make the commercial.  In one, he's just plain John.  The regulators don't know he's John McCain and they don't know he's a Senator either.  Keating thinks the same thing.  He doesn't know that his good friend John, who he's asked to intercede for him, is a Senator. 

In the second version, he's known to the regulators he meets with as Senator John McCain.  They know who they're talking to.  And Keating knows who he's sending in.  Senator John McCain.

I dunno.  I'm still trying to make up my mind.  Which of the two versions is closer to the truth?  Which one do you think the viewers will find more believable?