Author Topic: Good analysis of where the Clinton campaign went wrong . . .  (Read 7038 times)

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Good analysis of where the Clinton campaign went wrong . . .
« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2008, 12:44:02 AM »
If i understand you correctly there is a partisanship fatigue that is leading people to favor Obama as a relief mechanism.

=========================================================
I simply said that Obama is less like the usual politician, and that Democrats have grown tired of usual politicians, and therefore tend to favor Obama.

Obviously, Obama is a politician. He would be a terrible senator or president if he were not. But he was against the Iraq War from the start, and he is as close to a White guy as a Black guy in America could be: raised by Whites and perhaps Indonesians in Indonesia and Hawaii, and then Kansas. He does not have the Black accent, he lacks the preachy style of speaking, and he is not Southern in any way.

Hmmmm....

So who identifys with him?

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2008, 11:12:28 AM »

I know I do.

Obama is sort of embodying what Americans need to come together right now.  I have said for years and years that in order for white people and black people to come to understand each other and be comfortable with each other, we are going to have to have more interacial couples that have children that grow up and become famous. 

There have been lots of mixed race children that is true but we need more of them to become famous so that Americans will want to lay claim to them, if you will.  If black folks and white folks can look at a star or politician or CEO and say, "Hey, he's one of us." it will lead to unity.  Obama is the son of an interracial couple.  Black father, white mother.  Yes, he looks black but he is of both races.  He embodies harmony between the races.

Further, as much as the right likes to paint him as a liberal (and he is in some ways), he is really a moderate.  He wants to make sure everyone has health care but he's not in favor of a single payer system.  He was against the war and still is but he's not going to order the troops out in 30 days once he's elected (and, I must admit, I fear he may not draw them down substantially for a long time).

Over the next few months, you're going to hear him articulate his stances in much more defined terms than you have during the primary because he is going to want to appeal to ALL voters in ways that ALL voters will feel like they are getting something rather than being listened to and then pissed on (like the left has felt for the past 8 years with "president" Bush).

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2008, 11:34:50 AM »

I know I do...Further, as much as the right likes to paint him as a liberal (and he is in some ways), he is really a moderate. 

ROFL........I needed a good chuckle to start the day.  In "some" ways??   :D  Thanks, Brass

"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2008, 12:33:24 PM »
Obama would not appoint rightwingers to the court.

Odds are we would leave Iraq sooner, at a lesser expense in lives and money.

It would be more likely that we'd have a decent public healthcare plan. Maybe my cholesterol pills would not cost $4.35 per tablet, even at the Wal*Mart.

There might be a chance for a more equitable distribution of wealth in the US./

Foreign relations would improve vastly.

Perhaps we would finally have a decent energy policy, which would include importing Brazilian alcohol and more research on biodiesel and other alternate energy sources.

I don't think these things, all of which I consider valuable, have much chance of happening if McCain becomes president.

"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Rich

« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2008, 01:39:35 PM »
I think the combination of Bill inserting himself (no pun intended) to briskly into the race and Mrs. Clinton's Bosnia lie reminded democrats how twisted the Clinton's are and how slimey it felt to defend them that they wanted no more part of them.

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: June 03, 2008, 02:48:01 PM »

ROFL........I needed a good chuckle to start the day.  In "some" ways??   :D  Thanks, Brass

You guys did the same thing with Howard Dean, tried to paint him as Dennis Kucinich when he's really a moderate who's willing to listen to the other side of the aisle to find solutions that work for everyone.

The problem for you this time  is Obama is not Howard Dean in that he will take the time to explain his positions and, sadly for you, he has all but won the primary.  The Clinton elitists couldn't kneecap him early in the process.  Sorry, he's going to win in November, might want to get used to the idea now.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #36 on: June 03, 2008, 02:56:46 PM »
Sorry, he's going to win in November, might want to get used to the idea now.

Obama's brand may be a new beginning for ALL Americans but his supporters seem to not be taking his message to heart.

Even when the Clinton's were kneecapping him, he didn't get down in the mud.

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: June 03, 2008, 04:12:58 PM »
Obama's brand may be a new beginning for ALL Americans but his supporters seem to not be taking his message to heart.

Even when the Clinton's were kneecapping him, he didn't get down in the mud.

How is being positive about his electivity "getting down in the mud"?

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: June 03, 2008, 04:39:39 PM »

You guys did the same thing with Howard Dean, tried to paint him as Dennis Kucinich when he's really a moderate who's willing to listen to the other side of the aisle to find solutions that work for everyone.

A) I wasn't one of those, and B) you must have missed the great interview Obama had with Chris Wallace.  Completely undressed Obama's rhetoric with Obama's voting record and historical fact of siding with Dems on 99.9% of everything.  No where near the level of working with the other side as McCain.  Best part of the interview was when Obama pulled a Kerry, and basically claimed how he voted for Judge Roberts before he voted against him.  Priceless, and NOTHING remotely passing him off as a moderate, outside of fringe libs who are even further left than Obama, which in their eyes makes him a supposed moderate

The problem for you is that Obama needs to have had the election performed last week, if not a few months ago.  The more people see, the more the standard leftist politician will they see, come Novermber

« Last Edit: June 03, 2008, 04:41:44 PM by sirs »
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: June 03, 2008, 05:11:30 PM »
How is being positive about his electivity "getting down in the mud"?

Are you being positive about his electability or are you building him up by tearing down his opposition.

Isn't that the way it has been over the last 20 years, since Bork got Borked.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: June 03, 2008, 06:14:51 PM »

==========================
Bork was the Cox-sacker; he said there was no right to privacy, and therefore he had it coming.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: June 03, 2008, 07:36:51 PM »

Are you being positive about his electability or are you building him up by tearing down his opposition.

So, telling sirs to get used to the idea of Obama being elected in November is tearing sirs down?  Is that what you're really saying?

I think that I've been really wary of attacking "the opposition".

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: June 03, 2008, 10:39:47 PM »
You didn't make any comments about 8 years of Bush in this thread?

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: June 04, 2008, 03:27:15 PM »
You didn't make any comments about 8 years of Bush in this thread?

Oh, I'm sorry.  Is Bush running for a third term?

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: June 04, 2008, 05:08:38 PM »
Oh, I'm sorry.  Is Bush running for a third term?

Nope. which is why it is silly to continue bashing him.

Build your own brand.

Please don't pull an Avis.