Author Topic: Nine Bucks a Barrel in One Day!!!  (Read 10469 times)

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Nine Bucks a Barrel in One Day!!!
« on: June 06, 2008, 03:36:07 PM »
Just happened to catch CNN on lunch and I don't know if I got this right or not but the talking heads were all atwitter that in just one day the price of oil has gone up $9.00 per barrel.

if it's true, this is going to sink McCain if nothing else didn't or wouldn't.  This is a direct consequence of the failed Bush policies of war and tax cuts, together with his total failure to create any useful energy policy in his almost eight years of woefully obvious misrule.  Those who supported him until now might understand nothing of international law, Middle Eastern politics or fiscal policy, but what they DO understand by God is what it costs them to fill their tanks.  Bye-bye Bush and McSame.

Bush leaned on Saudi Arabia and the other OPEC members to get them not to follow Iran's example of selling oil for euros and yen, but all that effort was wasted.  Since the dollar's so unstable, all he accomplished was to get the rest of OPEC continue to sell oil for dollars, then immediately convert those dollars to euros or yen.  Same effect - - the dollar is abandoned either by those with oil to sell or those with dollars to sell.

Nope.  This is definitely NOT gonna be a Republican year.

Rich

Re: Nine Bucks a Barrel in One Day!!!
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2008, 03:40:21 PM »
The democrats promised to fix this problem in '06.

Nope, definitely not a democrat year.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2008, 04:59:26 PM »
According to your theory, the family won't blame the teenager who drove the family car off the pier, but the diver who couldn't raise it from the ocean floor.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2008, 05:21:20 PM »
I harbor no illusions.  The GOP may indeed lose big time this fall.  NOT for what they supposedly did to the car, but how they decided to forgo the basic princples of fiscal discipline & conservative ideology that got them elected in the 1st place.  They lost not because of the war or even the economy, they lost their base.  IIRC, many of the seats that were held by the GOP that have been won over by Democrats were largely due to conservative leaning Democrat candidates running against Republicans who tried to be big government, Democrat-like incumbants

News Flash GOP......go back to the drawing board or lose BIG time this Nov
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2008, 06:39:31 PM »
The democrats promised to fix this problem in '06.

Nope, definitely not a democrat year
========================================
In a presidential election, the voters are going to blame Congress and not the oilman who did NOTHING but veto and threaten vetos for seven years?

YOu are an imbecile.
A hooting, barking mad imbecile.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2008, 07:27:34 PM »
<<to forgo the basic princples of fiscal discipline & conservative ideology>>

Oh, like starting a little 3-trillion-dollar war and neglecting to raise any taxes to cover the cost of it?  Yeah, that sure sounds like SOMEBODY overlooked some pretty basic principles of fiscal discipline at least.  And when other currency traders notice little details like that and the dollar begins to implode, that's different from driving the family car off the pier how, exactly?

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2008, 07:33:56 PM »
Naaaaa, more like spending like a drunken Democrat, allowing government to increase at every level, with a President not standing up and vetoing even 1 single budget, in his 1st 6years.  And despite record increase in Fed revenue due in large part to the tax cuts, still spend more than what one takes in.

Details like that
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2008, 07:34:25 PM »
So Oil prices have more than doubbleed in the time since the Democrats won controll of Congress?

I feel a long season of finger pointing comeing on.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2008, 08:51:19 PM »
<<So Oil prices have more than doubbleed in the time since the Democrats won controll of Congress?>>

http://www.eia.doe.gov/steo - no I don't think "doubled" is accurate.  And last time I checked, Bush was still President and the Democrats had no way to override his veto power.   But I think that five years of war in Iraq have clearly taken their toll on the dollar.  I think most voters realize that economies don't turn on a dime and will be a lot more likely to blame the past eight years of the Bush administration for today's balls-up  than the relatively short time when the Democrats held a very tenuous grip on the Congress and still had to fight with a chaotically inept Bush administration to get anything done.  Nice try, though.

modestyblase

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2008, 09:20:12 PM »
Actually, presidential vetoes can and have been overriden.

modestyblase

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2008, 09:29:54 PM »
Daily fluctuations are generally not the most concerning things, if it stays at this price for some time then I will begin to worry.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/25005884

Following Thursday's monster reversal on oil, a couple of equity traders sent me pretty skeptical e-mails saying "Seriously??!" Their take, the oil move is purely speculative, and they blamed the big players.

One of them pointed out that it came on the day that Rep. Bart Stupak said it's time to shore up the loopholes that have allowed big speculators to manipulate the energy market.

When a reporter asked whether he meant Morgan Stanley and Goldman Sachs, his response, "You said it, not me." Stupak underscored he saw no illegal activity by speculators.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2008, 09:36:01 PM »
<<So Oil prices have more than doubbleed in the time since the Democrats won controll of Congress?>>

no I don't think "doubled" is accurate.  And last time I checked, Bush was still President and the Democrats had no way to override his veto power.

And the legislation put forward by the majority Dems, that he supposedly would have vetoed was.......what again??

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2008, 09:55:00 PM »

http://www.eia.doe.gov/steo - no I don't think "doubled" is accurate.  And last time I checked, Bush was still President and the Democrats had no way to override his veto power.   But I think that five years of war in Iraq have clearly taken their toll on the dollar.  I think most voters realize that economies don't turn on a dime and will be a lot more likely to blame the past eight years of the Bush administration for today's balls-up  than the relatively short time when the Democrats held a very tenuous grip on the Congress and still had to fight with a chaotically inept Bush administration to get anything done.  Nice try, though.

All right , more than doubbled in that period if you are pleased to be perfect.

But I am makeing a point that is not the point I ment to make.

Finger pointing , lots of finger pointing,pui, what is the action where is the plan?

There isn't a coherent energy policy even on the table , whose fault is it that no one is trying?

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2008, 11:03:17 PM »
<<There isn't a coherent energy policy even on the table , whose fault is it that no one is trying?>>

I dunno, whose responsibility is it to come up with one?

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2008, 11:40:29 PM »
<<There isn't a coherent energy policy even on the table , whose fault is it that no one is trying?>>

I dunno, whose responsibility is it to come up with one?

Every one of those "change " canadates who won when the Republicans won and all of the "change " canadates who won when the Democrats won.

Every stupid one of them.