Author Topic: Nine Bucks a Barrel in One Day!!!  (Read 10470 times)

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Nine Bucks a Barrel in One Day!!!
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2008, 11:55:20 PM »
I always thought it was the role of the Executive to propose legislation to the legislature that would be timely, problem-solving, etc.  That's what the President was elected for, to be a leader, to take the lead.  And since the majority party in the legislature has the power to say yea or nay to any proposed legislation, it's usually that majority party, elected because of the faith the people had in their leadership abilities, that also should be formulating legislation that it knows it can pass that will deal with the problems of the day.

It's always amazing to me how blatantly Republicans can dodge responsibility for their own inadequacies and point the finger of blame at the OPPOSITION party and at the guy who WASN'T elected President for their own failures.  There is a solid 8-year record of blatant failure and you guys not only walk away from it, but point your fingers to blame the opposition and claim "We're all to blame in this."   How generous of you.  But how disingenuous.  No, both parties are NOT equally at fault.  In a Republican administration, the Republicans can take the credit for the accomplishments of the administration but they also have to accept responsibility for the failures.  And in this case, it's ALL failure.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2008, 11:59:48 PM »
I always thought it was the role of the Executive to propose legislation to the legislature that would be timely, problem-solving, etc.  That's what the President was elected for, to be a leader, to take the lead.

The president is the head of the executive branch - the branch of government involved with ENFORCING laws.

Only members of the legislative branch can propose new laws.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2008, 12:05:00 AM »
I always thought it was the role of the Executive to propose legislation to the legislature that would be timely, problem-solving, etc.  That's what the President was elected for, to be a leader, to take the lead.  And since the majority party in the legislature has the power to say yea or nay to any proposed legislation, it's usually that majority party, elected because of the faith the people had in their leadership abilities, that also should be formulating legislation that it knows it can pass that will deal with the problems of the day.

It's always amazing to me how blatantly Republicans can dodge responsibility for their own inadequacies and point the finger of blame at the OPPOSITION party and at the guy who WASN'T elected President for their own failures.  There is a solid 8-year record of blatant failure and you guys not only walk away from it, but point your fingers to blame the opposition and claim "We're all to blame in this."   How generous of you.  But how disingenuous.  No, both parties are NOT equally at fault.  In a Republican administration, the Republicans can take the credit for the accomplishments of the administration but they also have to accept responsibility for the failures.  And in this case, it's ALL failure.

If nine bucks (ten now)rise in a day is important , then a doubbleing since the Congressional elections in '06 is important for the same reason.

It proves nothing to me , no single agency has direct controll , the Spot Market amounts to an auction .

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2008, 01:07:48 AM »
I always thought it was the role of the Executive to propose legislation to the legislature that would be timely, problem-solving, etc.  That's what the President was elected for, to be a leader, to take the lead.

The president is the head of the executive branch - the branch of government involved with ENFORCING laws.  Only members of the legislative branch can propose new laws.

Couldn't have assessed it any better, Ami.  Yea, last time I checked it was the LEGISLATIVE branch of Government, that supposedly proposes legislation that's "timely & problem solving"
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2008, 01:19:23 AM »
I figured, with adjustments for nomenclature, your system works pretty much like ours.  Here the Prime Minister, who is the leader of the majority party in the Legislature, forms a Cabinet together with his Ministers and the Cabinet plans the legislation for the coming Parliamentary session, which is debated, amended and then (if all goes well) enacted into law.  Of course in Canada all the Ministers (department heads) are also sitting members of the legislature and in the U.S.A. they can be appointed from the general public, but that's a minor detail.

I figured the President and his Cabinet decide what legislation they'd like to see passed, and the Congressional Committees consider the various bills they receive, make amendments as required, tee up the Senate and House versions of the Bill so they match and then put the thing to a vote in both houses.  Is that wrong?

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2008, 02:19:09 AM »
Here the Prime Minister, who is the leader of the majority party in the Legislature

That is where our systems differ. Presidents aren't guaranteed the pleasure of a majority party.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2008, 02:31:12 AM »
Right, that was my mistake.  I just wasn't thinking.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2008, 09:48:57 AM »
I figured the President and his Cabinet decide what legislation they'd like to see passed, and the Congressional Committees consider the various bills they receive, make amendments as required, tee up the Senate and House versions of the Bill so they match and then put the thing to a vote in both houses.  Is that wrong?

Yes, that's wrong.

While the President can say that he'd like to see such-and-such legislation passed, it's still up to a member of Congress to write and submit the legislation. There are only two things that the President directly submits to Congress - a "State of the Union" (usually submitted as a speech, though it has been submitted in writing a number of times) and a proposed budget. Everything else flows in the other direction, from Legislative to Executive.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2008, 09:52:56 AM »
Of course in Canada all the Ministers (department heads) are also sitting members of the legislature and in the U.S.A. they can be appointed from the general public, but that's a minor detail.

Actually, it's not a "minor detail". In the US, the members of the cabinet CANNOT be sitting members of the legislature. The only member of the executive branch that has a direct tie to the legislative is the Vice President, and then it's only to break tied votes in the Senate. He has no other powers or duties in Congress.

Rich

« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2008, 07:23:31 PM »
>>In a presidential election, the voters are going to blame Congress...<<

Once again BO, you seem unable to grasp anything that isn't spoon feed to you shit for brains. Your leftist scumbag leaders claimed to be able to control the price of oil. They promised to lower the price at the pump if elected. They didn't deliver. Of course slope headed communists like yourself don't really give a damn if liberals come through on their promises. All you care about is how much hate mongering they do and which one of them can cause the most damage to the country.

Keep your head up your ass you sniveling little coward.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2008, 08:06:29 PM »
Why don't you tell us which Democrats claimed to control the price of oil?

The fact is, when shit happens in a presidential election year, the party of the president gets punished. This is just a fact. Watch and see McCain get punished for Juniorbush's failures
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

fatman

« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2008, 09:16:41 PM »

Of course slope headed communists like yourself don't really give a damn if liberals come through on their promises.

I wasn't aware that XO was Asian.  You should be careful with comments like this, someone like kimba could be legitimately offended.

chickencounter

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2008, 09:46:40 PM »
Seriously, Rich.  You can do better than that.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2008, 10:17:43 PM »

Once again BO, you seem unable to grasp anything that isn't spoon feed to you shit for brains. Your leftist scumbag leaders claimed to be able to control the price of oil. They promised to lower the price at the pump if elected. They didn't deliver. Of course slope headed communists like yourself don't really give a damn if liberals come through on their promises. All you care about is how much hate mongering they do and which one of them can cause the most damage to the country.

Keep your head up your ass you sniveling little coward.

Good grief , did you find Molsons in your cornflakes again?

"leftist scumbag leaders " is alright

" you sniveling little coward" is not alright

I don't want you to stop posting here Rich but I don't want you driving off the competition either.

Of course MT disagrees with us , if we wanted to simply congratulate each other on how right we are there are places to go like that , but we have purposely gathered up people as a community that represent all the corners of the social matrix.

Disagreement isn't undesirable , it is the point of the place.

So pointing at the qualities of national figures is not personal , it is part of political conversation . The courage of Barak Obama and the Temper of John McCain or the wisdom of Bob Barr need to be frankly assessed and cant be politely overlooked .These things may be personal to them, but as presidential candidates these personal qualityies have become our business to discuss because we are choosing leadership .

The personal qualities of our membership is entirely diffrent , it is not good for our examination of ideas to make everything personal. I don't care about the personal hygiene or courage or family history of Rich , there isn't any reason to bring it up . I do care about your wisdom and how it is diffrent from mine , what I can learn is all of the difference.

I urge you to attack the logic of the opposition with better logic , attack the thinking you do not like vigorously by offering better thinking , attack ideas you dislike by proposing better ones.

But don't drive off the Liberals unless you can replace them.

« Last Edit: June 07, 2008, 10:21:50 PM by Plane »

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2008, 12:09:45 PM »
I suggest that the issue of who is a coward and who is brave is utterly meaningless in any internet forum.
There is no way anyone can show either bravery or cowardice in this venue.

I maintain that I have never sniveled.

I am not a Communist, but a somewhat successful capitalist, in that I have derived significant income from investments. I do not, however, believe that a totally free market makes for a satisfactory society for a majority, or even a sizable minority of any population, as it has not done this to date, anywhere.

I suggest that when one is rebuked by the seldom-seen chickencounter, one should consider a change in one's rhetoric.

« Last Edit: June 08, 2008, 05:06:41 PM by Xavier_Onassis »
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."