Author Topic: It's the Platform, Stupid: Baby steps are the way to energy independence.  (Read 2867 times)

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
The average combined state and federal tax on gasoline is 47 cents per gallon, and 53.2 cents on Diesel.

Many states charge tax as a percentage of the total sale (it's just another sales tax to them). Those states would have increased taxes for higher fuel prices.

Even though XOs estimate of the States tax take strikes me as too low , it still represents a greater purportion of the price than the company profit .

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Precisely.....company profit is a mere 5%, to the Government's taking of 28+%.  So, who's gouging who?
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Precisely.....company profit is a mere 5%, to the Government's taking of 28+%.  So, who's gouging who?

==================================
Oil company profits are not any 5%. That is just absurd. Only small children and idiots would believe that.

The same companies own the port facility tanks, sail the tankers, insure the tankers, offload it into pipelines and tanker trucks that they own, and even own a number of gas stations. This is done through a series of companies that ate officially unconnected, but in reality, all belong to the same people . They make the highest profits overseas, where, it they even keep books, do not reveal them ever to the IRS.

The Saudis, the Kuwaitis, the Emiris and whomever owns the oil are also gouging us. It costs no more to pump oil out of the ground in 2008 than it did back when the retail price was under 90cents a gallon.

Just look at the prices of oil company stock. They have gone up a whooooole lot more than 5%.

"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
You're right Xo, it's a staggering 6-7cents per dollar.  My bad  Government still gets 28+cents, and they do squat.  The rest of that dollar goes into shipping, refining, transporting, marketing, research, development, and new technologies.
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
You're right Xo, it's a staggering 6-7cents per dollar.  My bad  Government still gets 28+cents, and they do squat.  The rest of that dollar goes into shipping, refining, transporting, marketing, research, development, and new technologies.

Don't forget employee pay !

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
Oil company profits are not any 5%. That is just absurd. Only small children and idiots would believe that.

The published profits are just under 10%. Part of those are reinvested in R&D.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
The published profits are just under 10%. Part of those are reinvested in R&D.

=================================
This is probably true. The word of interest here is "published".

As I said, if the oil is imported, then the highest profits are made by the subsidiary companies offshore, where taxes are nonexistent, low, or simply easy to avoid through bribery and other forms of corruption.

I suggest that "slightly under 10%" is a whole lot more than 5 cents per gallon.

Perhaps seven times that.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Who ever said 5cents per gallon??

Rich

>>Actually, oil companies own a lot of alternative energy sources too, from wind farms to biodiesel facilities.  It's called diversification.<<

Fine. Let me know when "Big Oil" gets out of the oil business entirely. See biodiesel is a two part word. Bio and diesel. You know what diesel is, correct? Are oil companies dumping the oil business in favor of windmills? Solar energy? No. They're in the oil business.

Call your democrat congressman and ask them why they're doing nothing about the price of oil and alternative such as ANWAR, nuclear power, and coal. They might not be available right now what with all the sweetheart mortgages they're getting at the moment. They're diversifying too.

fatman

Big oil companies, however, say they are spending hundreds of millions of dollars to research and develop alternative and renewable power sources ? not only as part of the green movement, but with serious hopes of cashing in when the technologies are broadly commercialized...

In 2007, BP spent $750 million, or 10 percent of its U.S. capital budget, on developing alternative and renewable technologies, which include solar and wind energy and biofuels. The company has said it will spend $8 billion from 2005 through 2014.

"By the end of this year, we expect to have 1,000 megawatts of U.S. wind power capacity on line, increasing to 2,400 megawatts by the end of 2010," BP American chairman Bob Malone told the House Select committee on Energy Independence and Global Warming last month, according to a transcript.

BP is a partner on a $480 million, 300-megawatt wind farm in Weld County that began operating in November.

Chevron is also accelerating its investments in the renewable field. The company has earmarked $2.5 billion for renewable- and alternative-energy development through 2009 after spending $2 billion from 2002 to 2007.

Chevron Energy Solutions, which launched in 2000, generates about $300 million a year and is growing 20 percent annually, according to Jim Davis, the division's president...

ConocoPhillips plans to spend $150 million in 2008 on the development of unconventional oil and gas resources and the development of new energy sources. The company recently purchased a 432-acre campus in Louisville that will serve as a hub for its alternative-energy research.

The company is more focused on developing liquid fuels from renewable sources, rather than wind and solar generation that other major oil companies such as Shell and BP are embracing. Shell co-owns a wind farm in Lamar and is involved in 11 wind projects in the U.S. and Europe...

In 2002, Exxon committed $100 million over 10 years to Stanford University to fund the research and development of cleaner power sources.

Why should I call my Congressman?  I do support drilling in ANWR and always have, though I do have concerns with offshore drilling with fisheries being in the shape that they're currently in.  What's ANWR drilling going to do though, drop the price of gas a nickel in 6 years when it comes online?  I don't know if anyone saw it, but I was leafing through the Time 100 the other day in the doctor's office, and there was a blurb written by the chief economist for Tesoro, saying essentially that the high prices aren't based on low crude supply, but on rabid speculators and low refining capacity.  That sounds about right since someone can throw a rock at an oil tanker and see gas rise a dime a gallon.  I'm also in line with clean coal and nuclear power, but evidently your side hasn't done a good job of convincing the American people that this is the direction that we need to head.

And I don't buy for a second the notion that Democrats are any more guilty of corruption that Republicans.  That's a disease that seems to afflict the powerful, no matter what the party.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
 See biodiesel is a two part word. Bio and diesel. You know what diesel is, correct?

Biodiesel is not made from petroleum, and the process by which it is made, called transesterfication, is unlike anything anyone does in a refinery.

Big Oil will always be involved in petrochemicals, like plastics and aniline dyes.

High oil prices are not mostly based on the cost of production as much as they are on factors like the number and versatility of refineries, speculation and the cost of insuring giant oil tankers in a dangerous part of the world, or at least one that everyone considers dangerous.

Opening up Anwar would probably not lower the prices we pay at all.