Author Topic: Supreme Court rules terrorist suspects have right to civilian courts  (Read 22711 times)

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Supreme Court rules terrorist suspects have right to civilian courts
« Reply #165 on: June 30, 2008, 08:22:33 PM »
Al Qaeda volunteers do not think like Americans. That much is clear.

How should we think more like Al Queda Volenteers?

Universe Prince

• Of course liberty isn't safe; but it is good.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #166 on: June 30, 2008, 11:57:10 PM »

Sometimes you almost seem to get it.
FDR seldom said anything nice about Fascism during WWII .

I can just imagine you upbraiding Chirchill after one of his speeches .

Plane, you're not this stupid. I was not esoteric or obscure in what I said. I will not play childish games with you.
Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever.
--Hieronymus Karl Frederick Baron von Munchausen ("The Adventures of Baron Munchausen" [1988])--

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #167 on: July 01, 2008, 12:31:38 AM »

Sometimes you almost seem to get it.
FDR seldom said anything nice about Fascism during WWII .

I can just imagine you upbraiding Chirchill after one of his speeches .

Plane, you're not this stupid. I was not esoteric or obscure in what I said. I will not play childish games with you.

On the Contrary that seems to me to be exactly what you have been doing.
What are you hopeing to have result?

Are you trying to prove that terrorism is nothing but an idea and that we cannot war on such an idea?

Slavery and Piracy have been made war on with some success , neither totally eliminated but both reduced to marginal levels what is the diffrence there?

Al Queda is a group that decalired war on the USA before most of us ever Knew they existed , the reason we fight them is the terrorism they use , almost no other reason is present.

So as a result of this line of argument you want to establish that there is not really a war on terrorism seems to fly in the face of the facts , and depends on very narrow definition of terms much more thanm on any practical understanding of the situation.

I think that the war on terror will be a success when no one seriously thinks terrorism is a good choice for achevement of their aims , much the same way that few people choose piracy or slavery to get things done anymore.

What would be a better result than that?

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #168 on: July 01, 2008, 01:35:12 AM »
<<I think that the war on terror will be a success when no one seriously thinks terrorism is a good choice for achevement of their aims , much the same way that few people choose piracy or slavery to get things done anymore.>>

Two questions for you then:

Since Bush invaded Afghanistan, do you think you have moved closer to or farther from realizing that goal, and by how much?

Do you think that the U.S., invading countries at will, bombing civilians and causing at least tens and possibly hundreds of thousands of civilian casualties, kidnapping, torturing and imprisoning indefinitely without trial in secret prisons around the world, is itself choosing terrorism as a means of achieving its own ends?

Universe Prince

• Of course liberty isn't safe; but it is good.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #169 on: July 01, 2008, 02:18:12 AM »

On the Contrary that seems to me to be exactly what you have been doing.
What are you hopeing to have result?

Are you trying to prove that terrorism is nothing but an idea and that we cannot war on such an idea?

I don't have to prove that. And as I recall, my point has been the importance of protecting habeas corpus. But you know that. Why you're intent on trying to drag this down into an exercise in meaninglessness, I don't know.

So as a result of this line of argument you want to establish that there is not really a war on terrorism seems to fly in the face of the facts , and depends on very narrow definition of terms much more thanm on any practical understanding of the situation.

Nonsense. I don't have to establish anything. Nor am I narrowing anything. And I've explained all this before. And you've ignored all that to attempt to paint me as someone in denial of the facts. That seems to be the best argument you can muster. When you're prepared to make an adult argument, let me know.
Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever.
--Hieronymus Karl Frederick Baron von Munchausen ("The Adventures of Baron Munchausen" [1988])--