Author Topic: Universe in Vietnam  (Read 2919 times)

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Universe in Vietnam
« on: July 14, 2008, 06:27:42 AM »
This must have been what John McCain and John Kerry had in mind when they advocated normalized relations with the former enemy. This, in 2008, is what passes for normal: a glitzy beauty pageant at a clone of a Florida resort hotel, staged at 8 a.m. local time for the benefit of prime time half a world away.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: Universe in Vietnam
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2008, 09:47:38 AM »
This must have been what John McCain and John Kerry had in mind when they advocated normalized relations with the former enemy. This, in 2008, is what passes for normal: a glitzy beauty pageant at a clone of a Florida resort hotel, staged at 8 a.m. local time for the benefit of prime time half a world away.

-----------------------------------
There can be no cause more appropriate of dying for than the right of vain locals putting on a spectacular for-profit beauty pageant.

"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2008, 11:15:53 AM »
-----------------------------------
There can be no cause more appropriate of dying for than the right of vain locals putting on a spectacular for-profit beauty pageant.

Who is dying?

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2008, 02:15:59 PM »
I recall a number of Americans died so that Vietnam could have beauty pageants long before the present time.

Please see the first reference to this topic.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2008, 03:19:45 PM »
I recall a number of Americans died so that Vietnam could have beauty pageants long before the present time.

Please see the first reference to this topic.

Do you mean that half a million Americans and two million Vietnameese fought to their death over this ?

I kinda doubt anything like this was uppermost in any of their minds.

Do you disaprove of the normalisation of relations with an enemy a few decades after the fight?

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2008, 05:40:44 PM »
I think that the Vietnam war was a total waste of lives and money by the US.

Of course normalization of relationships is a good thing between the US and Vietnam. I'm even for recognition of Cuba.

Beauty pageants are exploitative, vapid and silly, but I don't favor making them illegal. I only find this somewhat ironic, that after hundreds of thousands of people died to establish an egalitarian government in Vietnam, that  here they are with a Miss Saigon pageant.

Had the South Vietnamese established a non-Communist government, this would have happened sooner.

Nowq if they could get Jane Fonda to be the emcee, that would be the height of irony.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2008, 09:46:59 PM »
I think that the Vietnam war was a total waste of lives and money by the US.

Of course normalization of relationships is a good thing between the US and Vietnam. I'm even for recognition of Cuba.

Beauty pageants are exploitative, vapid and silly, but I don't favor making them illegal. I only find this somewhat ironic, that after hundreds of thousands of people died to establish an egalitarian government in Vietnam, that  here they are with a Miss Saigon pageant.

Had the South Vietnamese established a non-Communist government, this would have happened sooner.

Nowq if they could get Jane Fonda to be the emcee, that would be the height of irony.

Inevitability rears its ugly head .

I don't think Jane Fonda would like to be involved in that much irony.