Author Topic: A nation of whiners  (Read 16020 times)

fatman

A nation of whiners
« on: July 11, 2008, 01:36:02 PM »
"A nation of whiners"
Posted by: The Economist | WASHINGTON

IN case you haven't read, Phil Gramm, the former senator from Texas and one of the men who is supposedly tutoring John McCain on economics, said some controversial things about the economy this week. America, he said, is in a “mental recession” and that the country is “a nation of whiners”. Surely, insulting voters is a good way to help your candidate lose an election. And his implication that things aren’t so bad in America right now doesn’t jibe with what either candidate is saying or with what Americans are feeling.

Barack Obama pounced this afternoon:

"Today one of (McCain's) top economic advisors, former Sen. Phil Gramm said that we're merely in a 'mental recession,'" Obama told a crowd of 2,800 at a town hall meeting in Fairfax, Virginia Thursday.

"He didn't say this, but I guess what he meant was that it's a figment of your imagination, these high gas prices. Senator Gramm then deemed the United States – and I quote, 'a nation of whiners.' Ho! A nation of whiners. This comes after Sen. McCain recently admitted that his energy proposals for the gas tax holiday and the drilling will have mainly quote 'psychological benefits.' I want all of you to know that America already has one Dr. Phil. We don't need another one when it comes to the economy. We need somebody to actually solve the economy. It's not just a figment of your imagination, it's not all in your head," Obama told the crowd.
Mr McCain piled on:

"I don't agree with Sen. Gramm," McCain said, "I believe that the person here in Michigan that just lost his job isn't suffering from a 'mental recession.' I believe that the mother here in Michigan or around America who is trying to get enough money here to educate her children isn't whining. America is in great difficulty and we are experiencing enormous economic challenges as well as others," adding, "Phil Gramm does not speak for me, I speak for me. So I strongly disagree."
To his credit, Mr Gramm stood firm:

"I'm not going to retract any of it. Every word I said was true," said Gramm.

"Look, the economy is bad. It is far below what we Americans have a right to expect, but we are not in a recession," he said. "We may or may not have one in the future, but based on the data we are not in a recession. But that does not mean all this talk does not have a psychological impact."
Indeed, Mr Gramm has the luxury of being right about a lot here. The candidates are selling an overblown narrative of Americans’ current suffering. Certainly, those who have lost jobs or homes this year have reason to be upset, and commodities prices are rising, forcing families to rethink their budgets. But even as the country teeters on the brink of recession, Americans enjoy a standard of living their parents could only dream of. Far from getting worse, life in America has gotten substantially better in the last decade by any number of indicators, and the economy is hardly a shambles. And yet, consumer confidence is plumbing surprisingly low depths.

So what can Mr Gramm expect to get for his honesty?

Asked whether Gramm could secure a cabinet position in a McCain administration, McCain said sarcastically, "I think Sen. Gramm would be in serious consideration for ambassador of Belarus, although I'm not sure the citizens of Minsk would welcome that."

Phil Gramm Comment

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: A nation of whiners
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2008, 07:42:42 PM »
Don't call me a whiner!

One should say this in the timbre and lilt of an ambulance siren for best effect.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2008, 10:41:15 PM »
No one who has lost his job due to an economic downturn is a whiner. For him the recession could not be more real.

Phil Gramm is a fool. He is also a bloodsucking lobbyist, and should be ignored by everyone from today and ever after.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2008, 11:01:27 PM »
No one who has lost his job due to an economic downturn is a whiner. For him the recession could not be more real.

Phil Gramm is a fool. He is also a bloodsucking lobbyist, and should be ignored by everyone from today and ever after.

Lets make a deal.

Everyone that has a good job should vote straight Republican .

Everyone that is out of work or feels that they are underemployed should vote Democrat.

There might still be three or four Blue states.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2008, 11:11:38 PM »
There is no reason for anyone with a functioning cerebellum to elect a goddamn Republican. They have been incompetent stubborn liars of stupendous proportions.

Republicans and Democrats do not hire or fire anyone officially, but gasoline is $420 a gallon because Juniorbush mongered a war on credit and buggered the money. Dolts like Phil Gramm are directly responsible for making it possible for the home loan crisis to occur.

When a Republican can't be reelected in Texas, and then becomes a stinking lobbyist, that is a pretty good indicator of his character.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2008, 12:21:01 AM »
When a Republican can't be reelected in Texas, and then becomes a stinking lobbyist, that is a pretty good indicator of his character.

Phil Gramm didn't run for re-election. Matter of fact, his successor was a fellow Republican. Gramm even vacated his seat early so his successor would have a term advantage over other incoming Senators.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

_JS

• Salaires legers. Chars lourds.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2008, 12:36:04 AM »

Phil Gramm didn't run for re-election. Matter of fact, his successor was a fellow Republican. Gramm even vacated his seat early so his successor would have a term advantage over other incoming Senators.

As a side note (just to tie this thread back around), his successor Senator Cornyn once got into a shouting match with GOP presidential candidate John McCain in the Senate over some illegal immigration item.
I smell something burning, hope it's just my brains.
They're only dropping peppermints and daisy-chains
   So stuff my nose with garlic
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster
   Tell me lies about Vietnam.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2008, 12:39:04 AM »
Phil Gramm didn't run for re-election. Matter of fact, his successor was a fellow Republican.

================
Was this because he realized he could not win, or was the strong scent of lobbyist money to great to resist?

Gramm is a fool, as evidenced by his idiotic statement about "whiners".
This is as stupid a move as idiot drivers in Miami punishing people in traffic by honking their horn at them.

What did he expect? Whiners to immediately see the errancy of their ways and apologize for whining?

Ever true whiners will never admit to whining.

Saying he stood by his statement is like continuing to honk after the car ahead of you has already driven away. He is a fool.
An ugly fool, as well.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2008, 12:41:17 AM »
As a side note (just to tie this thread back around), his successor Senator Cornyn once got into a shouting match with GOP presidential candidate John McCain in the Senate over some illegal immigration item.

--------------------------------------
There are many Republicans dumber than McCain.

Gramm is one, Cornyn is clearly another.

I favor Kikey Freedman, myself.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2008, 12:46:20 AM »
"....but gasoline is $420 a gallon because Juniorbush mongered a war on credit and buggered the money..."

What is the connection?

Do you mean that if Saddam was still in his Palaces India and China would not be buying twice as much oil as they did ten years ago and there would be plenty of oil?

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2008, 01:12:11 AM »
Was this because he realized he could not win, or was the strong scent of lobbyist money to great to resist?

You go "to" the country for vacation, lobbyist money would presumably be "too" great to resist.

I guess he figured 18 years in the Senate was enough. His district was obviously not ready to vote non-GOP.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2008, 04:32:48 PM »
I guess he figured 18 years in the Senate was enough. His district was obviously not ready to vote non-GOP.

=======================
Phil Gramm was a Senator from Texas. Senators do not have districts, they have entire states.

He was the guy who was instrumental in changing the rules so Enron could pillage and loot without supervision.

His wife Wendy was in the government, and helped remove regulations as well, and then, in a completely unrelated manner, she was appointed to the Board of Enron.

Then the sh*t hit the fan in 2002, and Phil decided to resign.

http://www.citizen.org/pressroom/release.cfm?ID=983

Gramm's picture should be in the dictionary under "corporate corruption"

But lovers of corruption need take heart, as he seems to still be a good pal of McCain.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2008, 06:35:11 PM »
XP:  "....but gasoline is $420 a gallon because Juniorbush mongered a war on credit and buggered the money..."

plane:  <<What is the connection?

<<Do you mean that if Saddam was still in his Palaces India and China would not be buying twice as much oil as they did ten years ago and there would be plenty of oil?>>

I think he means that by running up a $3 trill tab without raising taxes or revenues to cover it, Bush irrevocably damaged confidence in the U.S. dollar, effectively raising the cost of all imports, most notably oil, as the oil producers rush to turn their dollars into euros and yen and the currency speculators figure they've got better things to bet on from now on than the U.S. dollar.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2008, 06:50:57 PM »
I think he means that by running up a $3 trill tab without raising taxes or revenues to cover it, Bush irrevocably damaged confidence in the U.S. dollar,

If we can borrow 3 trillion (a Lancet figure if i have ever seen one) we are worth 3 trillion dollars.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2008, 10:31:59 PM »
I think he means that by running up a $3 trill tab without raising taxes or revenues to cover it, Bush irrevocably damaged confidence in the U.S. dollar,

If we can borrow 3 trillion (a Lancet figure if i have ever seen one) we are worth 3 trillion dollars.

Is a Lancet figure likely to enter our language like Bork and Swiftboat?

I think it should mean a clearly large exaggeration , especially one delivered by someone wearing a labcoat.