Author Topic: Why Obama won't want to debate McCain much  (Read 5919 times)

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Why Obama won't want to debate McCain much
« on: July 22, 2008, 09:03:17 PM »
http://news.yahoo.com/s/politico/20080722/pl_politico/11939

McCain is more used to extemporanious speaking and will make Obama look slow and poorly breifed .....

In Phoenix earlier this month, McCain referred to Czechoslovakia, which has been divided since Jan. 1, 1993, into the Czech Republic and Slovakia. He also referred to Czechoslovakia during a debate in November and a radio show in April. 

.... or not?

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: Why Obama won't want to debate McCain much
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2008, 09:51:22 PM »
extemporanious

thank you plane

The 1st and last time I heard of this word was at the anita hill hearing
I always wanted to know how it was spelled
that case was interesting to the public because we get to hear those $12 dollar words getting used.
despite what people publicly say,we love hearing those high faluten words

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2008, 10:19:24 PM »
Kimba

Has anyone ever told you that your humor is extremely subtle?

extemporanious

thank you plane

The 1st and last time I heard of this word was at the anita hill hearing
I always wanted to know how it was spelled

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2008, 10:31:27 PM »
extemporaneous

Now you know. It means "outside the limits of time", but refers to an unprepared, unrehearsed speech.

It seems to me that Obama is a lot better at this sort of thing than McCain, who confuses Shia with Sunnis and the like.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2008, 11:00:05 PM »
It gets worse.  McCain apparently thinks there is a Pakistan-Iraq border, when he discusses the security situation in Iraq today.

http://www.boston.com/news/politics/politicalintelligence/2008/07/mccain_appears.html

You are going to see WHY McCain graduated 5th last in his class at Annapolis if he gets into any extended debates with Obama.  Or you'll learn first-hand what the early stages of Alheimers are all about.  Which is why you are NOT going to see any extended John Insane-Barak Obama debates in this campaign.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2008, 11:07:12 PM »
Which is why you are NOT going to see any extended John Insane-Barak Obama debates in this campaign.

Yup, no extended debates in any of the 57 states...
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2008, 11:16:44 PM »
<<Yup, no extended debates in any of the 57 states...>>

I'm down wid dat.  I think most people will figure out that Obama really knows how many states there are and somehow just mis-spoke himself.  Everything else he says sounds on the ball, hip and contemporary.  You've got to be really dumb to think there are 57 states, and nothing else about Obama appears to be even remotely dumb.

McCain isn't so fortunate.  His repeated references to "Czechoslovakia" are explained as force of habit, but that's an old man's excuse.  His mind is too tired and dug in to change with the times, habit takes over from thought, and so the Czech Republic is still "Czechoslovakia" in John Insane's mind, regardless of how long ago the break-up occurred.  That's better than thinking he's dumb, but it's still not too impressive to voters looking for someone who may hold their lives in his hands.

The Pakistan-Iraq "border" is on a whole different order of magnitude.  This betrays real ignorance of the basic issues and shows a guy who is just firing from the hip, speaking by rote and getting his Iraq - Afghanistan cues mixed up.  He either doesn't know, gets tired and confused even in a friendly environment or just doesn't give a shit.  None of them qualities sought in an applicant for the job as President and Commander in Chief.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2008, 11:30:57 PM »
He said Iraq when he meant Afghanistan. The other guy said 57 when he meant 50.

So what.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2008, 08:52:54 AM »
<<He said Iraq when he meant Afghanistan.>>

Exactly.  But up to that point the whole discussion had been about Iraq, and he thought he was still talking about Iraq when he made a remark that actually applies to Afghanistan.   If I'm talking to someone for public consumption about Iraqi issues and his mind wanders into Afghanistan during the discussion - - a relatively friendly, low-pressure discussion - - that's not a very encouraging impression.  It evidences senility, inability  to keep up, and raises questions about how the guy's brain will function under pressure.

Obama simply made a slip of the tongue.  It didn't indicate in any way that he had lost track of the discussion or where he was in it.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 08:55:55 AM by Michael Tee »

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2008, 09:06:08 AM »
Exactly.  But up to that point the whole discussion had been about Iraq, and he thought he was still talking about Iraq when he made a remark that actually applies to Afghanistan.   If I'm talking to someone for public consumption about Iraqi issues and his mind wanders into Afghanistan during the discussion - - a relatively friendly, low-pressure discussion - - that's not a very encouraging impression.  It evidences senility, inability  to keep up, and raises questions about how the guy's brain will function under pressure.

Obama simply made a slip of the tongue.  It didn't indicate in any way that he had lost track of the discussion or where he was in it.

He was asked a question about Afghanistan, and made a slip of the tongue when he said Iraq instead of Afghanistan in his response about Afghanistan. It didn't indicate in any way that he had lost track of the discussion or where he was in it.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2008, 09:55:38 AM »
I think that it is rather silly to criticize candidates for misspeaking when each is followed around 24/7 and every word they say is recorded and all possible misstatements are magnified.

None of these has been as bad as Gerald Ford saying that Poland was not in the Soviet orbit. But even that would not have resulted in any likely change of policy had Ford been elected.

This sort of story is just flack.

The big issue is the sort of fascists that could be appointed to the Supreme Court, how long we will have troops (and worse, mercenaries making triple) in Iraq, costing us tons of money, and how financial crises such as the subprime mess will be avoided in the next four years.

"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2008, 11:46:47 AM »
<<He was asked a question about Afghanistan, and made a slip of the tongue when he said Iraq instead of Afghanistan in his response about Afghanistan. It didn't indicate in any way that he had lost track of the discussion or where he was in it.>>

That's patently ridiculous.  If it were just a slip of the tongue, the rest of his sentence would have been applicable to Iraq, not Afghanistan (which had not been mentioned at the time.)  In fact, he did speak  about the "progress" in Iraq and then he mentioned the Pakistani border.  Obviously either not knowing that there was no Pakistani-Iraq border or losing his train of thought and believing that they had been discussing Afghanistan.    Either way, not good.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2008, 12:09:33 PM »
That's patently ridiculous.  If it were just a slip of the tongue, the rest of his sentence would have been applicable to Iraq, not Afghanistan (which had not been mentioned at the time.)  In fact, he did speak  about the "progress" in Iraq and then he mentioned the Pakistani border.  Obviously either not knowing that there was no Pakistani-Iraq border or losing his train of thought and believing that they had been discussing Afghanistan.    Either way, not good.

If it was a slip of the tongue and he said Iraq instead of Afghanistan, the rest of the sentence would have applicable to Afghanistan. Which it was. He WAS discussing Afghanistan, because he was ASKED about Afghanistan. Saying Iraq was therefore a slip of the tongue.

For your claim to be correct - "the rest of his sentence would have been applicable to Iraq, not Afghanistan" - then he would have to say "Iraq" instead of "Afghanistan."

Again, your claim is the one that is patently ridiculous.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2008, 01:09:06 PM »
Ouch.  You're right.  I watched the tape again and it was Afghanistan that they were talking about in the first place, not Iraq.  So it could well have been a slip of the tongue.  Sorry.

Doesn't matter much though, because McCain just pulled another gaffe.  He's the gift that keeps on giving.  The so-called "Anbar Awakening" began many months before the surge - - http://www.huffingtonpost.com/ilan-goldenberg/not-a-gaffe-a-fundaemtnal_b_114394.html - -

yet we have McCain crediting the surge with the "Anbar Awakening."  Proving he either doesn't know what the hell is going on there or he'll say anything to get elected.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2008, 01:39:27 PM »
subtle
no
but It has been accused of being so specific only that only I know it`s funny.

i really do want to know how to spell extemporanious
despite impromtu is a much easier word to use
my niece hates my sense of humor
in fact all the females in my family hate my humor.
and still they keep visiting