Author Topic: Why Obama won't want to debate McCain much  (Read 5928 times)

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Why Obama won't want to debate McCain much
« Reply #75 on: July 31, 2008, 08:54:20 PM »
<<but why is BHO pretending very hard to be centrest and playing down his connections to the extreme bomb tossing left?>>

I think the answer is (a) he wants to get elected and (b) his "connections" to the "extreme bomb-tossing left" are marginal to non-existent, and probably weaker than John Insane's connections to the abortion-clinic bombings and the White Citizen's Councils.

No his connection was strong while he was getting elected in Chicago.

But Rezco is no help anymore and Ayers is a natiowide negative even more than he was a positive for the Chicago set.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #76 on: July 31, 2008, 09:00:49 PM »
The competence and the vision of a president is far, far more important than this arbitrary "left-right" stuff. A good leader can convince the people that his course is the proper one.

McCain was somehow unable to convince the voters in the GOP primaries that he was a superior choice to Juniorbush, although this was clearly the case.

Obama managed to defeat Hillary Clinton despite her formidable experience in the Senate and her knowledge of how Washington works. I would say that this indicates that Obama is a superior leader.

As a rule, we have these think tanks who decide who is more to the left or the right based on their votes in the Senate. But any voter with half a brain does not decide every issue based on whether the Cato Institute or the Progressive Coalition or whoever opposes or favors it, he decides what he believes on his own.

Some require the help of Rush to decide. This is so everyone can play. It's a bit like the Special Olympics.

Obama has more experience with machine politics than Hillary , Presidential Elections are not held in Washington (thank God).

The Obama organisation is quite well organised , If I were forced to say something positive about BHO's abilitys I would start there.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #77 on: July 31, 2008, 09:05:41 PM »
Obama has more experience with machine politics than Hillary , Presidential Elections are not held in Washington (thank God).

You don't think the people of DC should be able to vote for a President?  Why not?

Hillary started out in Illinois, in Chicago, just like Obama. She grew up there. She was a Goldwater Girl, by the way.

Then she lived in Arkansas for many years. They have politics there, too.

Now she represents the State of New York, both NYC and upstate. They have very serious politics there, I have heard.

Plus, Hillary has been around longer than Obama. So I don;t think your conclusion is actually true.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #78 on: July 31, 2008, 09:55:04 PM »

You don't think the people of DC should be able to vote for a President?  Why not?

Hillary started out in Illinois, in Chicago, just like Obama. She grew up there. She was a Goldwater Girl, by the way.

Then she lived in Arkansas for many years. They have politics there, too.

Now she represents the State of New York, both NYC and upstate. They have very serious politics there, I have heard.

Plus, Hillary has been around longer than Obama. So I don;t think your conclusion is actually true.
Well ,I might be wrong .

What is Obama's comprable experience?

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #79 on: July 31, 2008, 10:12:50 PM »

He has written two books. You might at least read the reviews of them.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #80 on: July 31, 2008, 10:30:06 PM »

He has written two books. You might at least read the reviews of them.

In his books he doesn't talk about the mechanics of his rise to power , the new Yorker Article is better about that.

"He tends to underplay his knowledge, acting less informed than he is. He rarely accuses, preferring to talk about problems in the passive voice, as things that are amiss with us rather than as wrongs that have been perpetrated by them. And the solutions he offers generally sound small and local rather than deep-reaching and systemic.

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2007/05/07/070507fa_fact_macfarquhar

May I suggest that the reason for the essay’s lack of substance regarding Barack Obama’s ideas is that his campaign feels more like a pleasant horoscope than like a run for the Presidency? (The kind that anyone can read and think, Yes! I want change, too! It’s amazing how well he knows me.)

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/letters/2008/02/11/080211mama_mail2

Best article I have found so far anywhere-
One day in 1995, Barack Obama went to see his alderman, an influential politician named Toni Preckwinkle, on Chicago’s South Side, where politics had been upended by scandal. Mel Reynolds, a local congressman, was facing charges of sexual assault of a sixteen-year-old campaign volunteer. (He eventually resigned his seat.) The looming vacancy set off a fury of ambition and hustle; several politicians, including a state senator named Alice Palmer, an education expert of modest political skills, prepared to enter the congressional race. Palmer represented Hyde Park—Obama’s neighborhood, a racially integrated, liberal sanctuary—and, if she ran for Congress, she would need a replacement in Springfield, the state capital. Obama at the time was a thirty-three-year-old lawyer, university lecturer, and aspiring office-seeker, and the Palmer seat was what he had in mind when he visited Alderman Preckwinkle.

“Barack came to me and said, ‘If Alice decides she wants to run, I want to run for her State Senate seat,’ ” Preckwinkle told me. We were in her district office, above a bank on a street of check-cashing shops and vacant lots north of Hyde Park. Preckwinkle soon became an Obama loyalist, and she stuck with him in a State Senate campaign that strained or ruptured many friendships but was ultimately successful. Four years later, in 2000, she backed Obama in a doomed congressional campaign against a local icon, the former Black Panther Bobby Rush. And in 2004 Preckwinkle supported Obama during his improbable, successful run for the United States Senate. So it was startling to learn that Toni Preckwinkle had become disenchanted with Barack Obama.

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2008/07/21/080721fa_fact_lizza

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #81 on: August 01, 2008, 11:53:16 AM »
So it was startling to learn that Toni Preckwinkle had become disenchanted with Barack Obama.

=====================================
And why was that? That would be the useful part of the article: the rest is just background.

Is she now stumping for McCain?

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #82 on: August 01, 2008, 02:17:19 PM »
<<No his connection was strong while he was getting elected in Chicago.>>

I'll believe it when I see evidence of it.  "Strong" is a highly subjective word.  What objective evidence have you of a strong connection to Ayers?

<<But Rezco is no help anymore and Ayers is a natiowide negative even more than he was a positive for the Chicago set.>>

Tell me why Obama's connection to Rezko was "stronger" than McCain's to Charles Keating.  Tell me who drew the stiffer sentence, Rezko or Keating.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #83 on: August 01, 2008, 03:31:19 PM »
<<No his connection was strong while he was getting elected in Chicago.>>

I'll believe it when I see evidence of it.  "Strong" is a highly subjective word.  What objective evidence have you of a strong connection to Ayers?

<<But Rezco is no help anymore and Ayers is a natiowide negative even more than he was a positive for the Chicago set.>>

Tell me why Obama's connection to Rezko was "stronger" than McCain's to Charles Keating.  Tell me who drew the stiffer sentence, Rezko or Keating.

Rezco gave more money and not on just a few occasions , some directly to the canadate who bought a house next door (t a Rezco discount).

Keating gave indirectly on a single occasion to McCain , who gave it back when it started to smell.

Please do keep the comparison between the Rezco affiliation and the Keating five up frount , McCain looks like a saint in comparison when all of the details are examined.

For one thing Obama actually asked Rezco for money.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #84 on: August 01, 2008, 03:37:37 PM »
Please do keep the comparison between the Rezco affiliation and the Keating five up frount , McCain looks like a saint in comparison when all of the details are examined.  For one thing Obama actually asked Rezco for money.

OUCH....he DID?  That egregious judgement abyss of Obama's, just keeps getting deeper and deeper. 
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle