Author Topic: McCain, Richer than God, won't care about you  (Read 1961 times)

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
McCain, Richer than God, won't care about you
« on: July 31, 2008, 01:07:06 PM »
RICH OUT OF TOUCH ELITIST
The Nation, by Christopher Hayes

Ben Smith says I'm "yawning" at McCain's $520 loafers. I can see why he said that. My post on the topic was excessively arch.

So let me take off my irony hat and say this earnestly:

John McCain is an insanely rich individual. He is insanely rich because he married a woman who was insanely rich, who in turn inherited that insane wealth from her parents. They own more houses than I have pairs of shoes. Seriously. They have a super fancy credit cards that they carry a $225,000 balance on. He wears expensive shoes. I'm sure his suits and ties cost a lot, too. Whatever. That is what it is.

But, importantly, John McCain simply has no connection to working people on a personal level, and most likely hasn't for most of his political life. The only working class people he encounters are those who come to his campaign events, those who serve him at restaurants, and the small army no doubt employed to clean his ten houses. And, more importantly, he's the head of a political coalition that while managing to win millions of working class votes, does not have any real representatives of working America calling the shots in the party's upper echelons. His top economic adviser spent his entire career trying to stick it to the middle class and enrich the banking industry, which he later lucratively joined. Now that the very policies he pushed for helped create a massive ponzi scheme that is collapsing on the heads of the middle class he sniffs at the rubble and calls those people whiners. Whiners.

Now, if John McCain's policies were crafted to aid working people, to restore some basic fairness to our economy at a time when inequality is undeniably growing, wages are stagnating and a perfect storm of disparate factors have blown lots of middle-class folks precariously close to the edge of real financial disaster, I wouldn't really care that much about the fact that marrying a rich heiress has made him fabulously wealthy.

But John McCain's policies have been crafted explicitly to enrich rich people like himself: he is going to take money from the government and put it in his wife's bank account, and I mean that quite literally. (Look at this chart, via Matt Y) This has been the signature Bush/Norquist tax policy of the last eight years and the policy McCain wants to continue.

It is upwards redistribution. It is taking from the many and giving to the few. Under his plan you get a foreclosed home, an oil rig off the local public beach and some busted keds: he gets another house, another SUV and a shiny new pair of $520 Ferragamo loafers.

That may sound hyperbolic, but it's true. My ironic point was that we have the perfect makings of a full-fledged campaign narrative here: you have a super rich guy who got super rich not through any of his own genius or hard work (obvious proviso here about his undeniable courage and heroism in Vietnam, but that has nothing to with his net wealth). This super wealthy guy who has married into a family of millionaires flits around in private jets to his many houses while campaigning on an economic policy that tells working people that the economy is great, and if they don't think it's great they're whiners. Meanwhile he's pushing a tax code that would make him, his wife and his rich donors much richer.

At what point does it begin to set in that this guy is just another business-as-usual, out-of-touch rich guy?

Comments (0)
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: McCain, Richer than God, won't care about you
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2008, 01:40:43 PM »
<<But, importantly, John McCain simply has no connection to working people on a personal level, and most likely hasn't for most of his political life.>>

How can you say such a thing?  He bombed the shit out of working people when he was in the Navy, maybe even on very low-level bombing runs where he could actually watch them running for their lives.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2008, 06:42:22 PM »
well
 I do remember the pilot strikes when he slammed the pilots for not wanting to do non-emergency over-time.
that situation got him off my x-mas list.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2008, 07:13:25 PM »
But, importantly, John McCain simply has no connection to working people on a personal level, and most likely hasn't for most of his political life.

And it is the GOP who are the fomenters of class warfare?

What nonsense.

John McCain works in the senate. He has a staff. Unless all of his staff are millionaires (which i doubt) it stands to reason that he is in fact in touch with the working class, unless white collar workers are no longer considered working class.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2008, 07:41:46 PM »
RICH OUT OF TOUCH ELITIST
The Nation, by Christopher Hayes

I don't know , but was this guy so bothered by JFKerry haveing these problems?

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2008, 07:47:25 PM »
<<John McCain works in the senate. He has a staff. Unless all of his staff are millionaires (which i doubt) it stands to reason that he is in fact in touch with the working class, unless white collar workers are no longer considered working class.>>

I think it's generally understood that when the ultra-rich are accused of being out of touch with the working class, it's generally understood that they do maintain some kind of contact with their personal service staff.  Even J. P. Morgan must have had cooks, chauffeurs, manicurists, barbers, etc.

Anyone reading XO's comments with a grain of common sense would understand it to mean "no contact with the working class apart from a purely service relationship or an employer-employee relationship."

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2008, 07:49:24 PM »
well that depends on how his office runs
in the firm I work in some staff worker`s do so much the lawyer has no concept how things work.
quite afew of the attorneys don`t know how to do billing.
which is quite bad since that`s how thier paid.
and remember it`s not mccains job to know his staff.
but it would make his job easier if he did,and cut the chance of him drinking spit coffee
the real question would what kind of boss is he?
the kind who wants a 100 page doc copied in 5 min. no excuses=spit coffee
or the kind who tries to give the same request as early as possible and understand if it gets done late=get a free dessert

i say this because I do give free treats to people who does this.
note I never give spit coffee but I try very hard never to pi$$ off food servers.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2008, 08:17:49 PM »
One wonders how much spit coffee McCain has drunk.

I do not think it really matters what he thought of Kerry, unless Kerry actually is running for president.

Juniorbush and Kerry were both rich. There was very little diffence between them with regard to wealth. There was Juniorbush's cultivated hyuk hyuk Tesass accent.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2008, 08:49:49 PM »
<<note I never give spit coffee but I try very hard never to pi$$ off food servers.>>

Wiser words were never spoken.

<<One wonders how much spit coffee McCain has drunk.>>

Let's put it this way, if I were a Vietnamese, and if he were in my care, and if he had napalmed my women and children, spit coffee would be the special treat that he would get only once a year on Karl Marx's birthday.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2008, 10:01:41 PM »
One wonders how much spit coffee McCain has drunk.

I do not think it really matters what he thought of Kerry, unless Kerry actually is running for president.

Juniorbush and Kerry were both rich. There was very little diffence between them with regard to wealth. There was Juniorbush's cultivated hyuk hyuk Tesass accent.

John Kerry actually did run for President , and I want to know if his getting ritch from Marrage bothered this commentater . I don't recall any Democrats being upset about that when their guy answered this description.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2008, 10:11:33 PM »
John Kerry actually did run for President , and I want to know if his getting ritch from Marrage bothered this commentater . I don't recall any Democrats being upset about that when their guy answered this description.

====================
It is irrelevant to this election. I suppose you could do a search on his name and discover what he said.

I would have vastly preferred Gore, Dean or Edwards myself, but Kerry was exponentially better than Juniorbush .

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2008, 10:36:09 PM »
I think it's generally understood that when the ultra-rich are accused of being out of touch with the working class, it's generally understood that they do maintain some kind of contact with their personal service staff.  Even J. P. Morgan must have had cooks, chauffeurs, manicurists, barbers, etc.

I think it's generally understood that when the ultra-rich are accused of being out of touch with the working class, it's generally understood that the the accuser doesn't have a pot to piss in and generally needs someone to blame for their miserable lot in life, a life of their own choosing, as they could have just as easily sought out a rich heiress and married her for her money... er charms.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2008, 10:44:13 PM »
<< . . . as they could have just as easily sought out a rich heiress and married her for her money... er charms. >>

Purely out of curiosity, I found myself wondering whether it was Teresa Heinz Kerry or the second Mrs. McCain who had the greater, uh . . .  charms??

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2008, 10:46:34 PM »
I believe Theresa married into money and then Kerry married that money. Perhaps Kerry appreciated a mate who knew an opportunity when she saw it.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2008, 10:50:39 PM »
John Kerry actually did run for President , and I want to know if his getting Rich from Marrage bothered this com mentater . I don't recall any Democrats being upset about that when their guy answered this description.

====================
It is irrelevant to this election. I suppose you could do a search on his name and discover what he said.

I would have vastly preferred Gore, Dean or Edwards myself, but Kerry was exponentially better than Juniorbush .

If you felt the same about Kerry's Marrage to millions as you do about McCain's , then I shall not accuse you of hypocrisy