Author Topic: Chalabi, Iran's man  (Read 4044 times)

Lanya

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Chalabi, Iran's man
« on: November 05, 2006, 02:49:11 PM »
Chalabi, Iranian asset? Dexter Filkins in the NYT:
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/05/magazine/05CHALABI.html?ex=1320382800&en=8d010c01bfcf0453&ei=5090&partner=rssuserland&emc=rss

Tehran, November 2005

Amid the debate about Chalabi’s role in taking America to war, one little-noticed phrase in a Senate Intelligence Committee report on W.M.D. offered an important insight into Chalabi’s identity. One of the principal errors made by the Bush administration in relying on Chalabi’s Iraqi National Congress, the report said, was to disregard conclusions by the C.I.A. and the Defense Intelligence Agency that “the I.N.C. was penetrated by hostile intelligence services,” notably those of Iran.

The Iran connection has long been among the most beguiling aspects of Chalabi’s career. Baer, the former C.I.A. operative, recalled sitting in a hotel lobby in Salah al-Din, in Kurdish-controlled Iraq, in 1995 while Chalabi met with the turbaned representatives of Iranian intelligence on the other side of the room. (Baer, as an American, was barred from meeting the Iranians.) Baer says he came to regard Chalabi as an Iranian asset, and still does.

“He is basically beholden to the Iranians to stay viable,” Baer told me. “All his C.I.A. connections — he wouldn’t get away with that sort of thing with the Iranians unless he had proved his worth to them.”

Pat Lang, the D.I.A. agent, holds a similar view: that in Chalabi, the Iranians probably saw someone who could help them achieve their long-sought goal of removing Saddam Hussein. After a time, in Lang’s view, the Iranians may have figured the Americans would leave and that Chalabi would most likely be in charge. Lang insists he is only speculating, but he says it has been clear to the American intelligence community for years that Chalabi has maintained “deep contacts” with Iranian officials.

“Here is what I think happened,” Lang said. “Chalabi went and told the guys at the Ministry of Intelligence and Security in Tehran: ‘The Americans are giving me money. I’m their guy. I’m their candidate.’ And I’m sure their eyes lit up. The Iranians would reason that they could use this guy to manipulate the United States to get what they wanted. They would figure that the U.S. would invade. They would figure that we would come and we would go, and if we left Chalabi in charge, who was a good friend of theirs, they would be in good shape.”

Lang’s thesis is impossible to prove, and Chalabi denies it. And even if it were true, Chalabi’s role would be difficult to discern: so many different Iranian agencies are thought to be pursuing so many different agendas in Iraq that a single Iranian national interest is difficult to identify. Still, if Lang’s and Baer’s argument is true, it would be the stuff of spy novels: Chalabi, the American-adopted champion of Iraqi democracy, a kind of double agent for one of America’s principal adversaries.

In late 2005, I accompanied Chalabi on a trip to Iran, in part to solve the riddle. We drove eastward out of Baghdad, in a convoy as menacing as the one we had ridden in south to Mushkhab earlier in the year. After three hours of weaving and careering, the plains of eastern Iraq halted, and the terrain turned sharply upward into a thick ridge of arid mountains. We had come to Mehran, on one of history’s great fault lines, the historic border between the Ottoman and Persian Empires. As we crossed into Iran, the wreckage and ruin of modern Iraq gave way to swept streets and a tidy border post with shiny bathrooms. Another world.

An Iranian cleric approached and shook Chalabi’s hand. Then he said something curious: “We are disappointed to hear that you won’t be staying in the Shiite alliance,” he said. “We were really hoping you’d stay.” The border between Iraq and Iran had, for the moment, disappeared.

More curious, though, was the authority that Chalabi seemed to carry in Iran, which, after all, has been accused of assisting Iraqi insurgents and otherwise stirring up chaos there. For starters, Chalabi asked me if I wanted to come along on his Iranian trip only the night before he left — and then procured a visa for me in a single day: a Friday, during the Eid holiday, when the Iranian Embassy was closed. Under ordinary circumstances, an American reporter might wait weeks.

Then there was the executive jet. When we arrived at the border, Chalabi ducked into a bathroom and changed out of his camouflage T-shirt and slacks and into a well-tailored blue suit. Then we drove to Ilam, where an 11-seat Fokker jet was idling on the runway of the local airport. We jumped in and took off for Tehran, flying over a dramatic landscape of canyons and ravines. We landed in Iran’s smoggy capital, and within a couple of hours, Chalabi was meeting with the highest officials of the Iranian government. One of them was Ali Larijani, the national security adviser.

I interviewed Larijani the next morning. “Our relationship with Mr. Chalabi does not have anything to do with his relationship with the neocons,” he said. His red-rimmed eyes, when I met him at 7 a.m., betrayed a sleepless night. “He is a very constructive and influential figure. He is a very wise man and a very useful person for the future of Iraq.”

Then came the meeting with Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, the Iranian president. I was with a handful of Iranian reporters who were led into a finely appointed room just outside the president’s office. First came Chalabi, dressed in a tailored suit, beaming. Then Ahmadinejad, wearing a face of childlike bewilderment. He was dressed in imitation leather shoes and bulky white athletic socks, and a suit that looked as if it had come from a Soviet department store. Only a few days before, Ahmadinejad publicly called for the destruction of Israel. He and Chalabi, who is several inches taller, stood together for photos, then retired to a private room.

At the time of Chalabi’s visit, Iran and the United States were engaged in a complicated diplomatic dance; the American ambassador in Baghdad, Zalmay Khalilzad, had been authorized to open negotiations with the Iranians over their involvement in Iraq. Still, Chalabi insists he carried no note from the Iranians when he flew to Washington the next week. Officially, at least, Iran and the United States never got together.

As ever, Chalabi had multiple agendas. One was to learn whether the Iranians would support his candidacy for the prime ministership (the same reason he traveled to the United States). It makes you wonder, in light of the Baer and Lang thesis: was Chalabi telling the Iranians, or asking them for permission? Or making a deal, based on his presumed leverage in the United States? The possibilities seemed endless.

Outcomes are even more telling.
Posted by Laura at 05:45 AM    http://www.warandpiece.com/blogdirs/005124.html
Planned Parenthood is America’s most trusted provider of reproductive health care.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: Chalabi, Iran's man
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2006, 03:36:27 PM »
Chalabi's dreaming if he thinks the Iranian mullahs are going to pick him over Sistani's men.  They're playing him.  He's a secularist AND a crook.  They'll support their own, not an opportunist like him.  Did they use Chalabi?  Sure.  But he's not gonna get anything out of it.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2006, 04:30:40 PM »
I thought he was America's man.  In fact, according to Tee, in how we, America, actually dictate who's to run things, why isn't he running Iraq?
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2006, 04:53:14 PM »
<<I thought he was America's man.  >>

Yeah, that's exactly what Bush and Cheney thought too.  Because they're morons.  But in the end, even they realized he was suckering them.  Something which, apparently, you still haven't figured out.

<<In fact, according to Tee, in how we, America, actually dictate who's to run things, why isn't he running Iraq?>>

Uhhh, maybe when they finally realized the guy's connections to Iran and saw that he wasn't able to deliver what he said he could because Iran had more than one guy in Iraq to do what he had hoped to be doing for them, the Americans finally decided they had to back another horse?

It's interesting though.  They have had to turn away from Chalabi, who couldn't deliver, to the guys around Sistani, who could.  Only problem was, this brought them several giant steps closer to the Iranians' table.  Now they're dependent on guys who are very close to Teheran to put the finishing touches on the facade of "democratic self-government" before they can finally bug out.   Guys who run their own death squads.  Who have no more intention of handing over their oil to Bush's handlers than Saddam ever did.  Ironic, eh?  What did all those dumb schmucks die for, in the end?

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2006, 05:10:50 PM »
So, in other words, the U.S. DOESN'T dictate who's going to run Iraq.  Kinda what we been saying all along, Tee
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2006, 05:31:36 PM »
<<So, in other words, the U.S. DOESN'T dictate who's going to run Iraq.  Kinda what we been saying all along, Tee >>

I say they TRIED to run Iraq but they fucked up and are continuing to fuck up, and will continue to fuck up till they finally realize it just can't be done and then they will pack up and go.  They control some but not all and they will never be able to control enough.

What YOU were saying all along kinda fluctuated from one day to the next, but recapping it, if I can remember all of the lies and bullshit, it went something like this: 

Saddam has a massive stock of WMD that are an immediate threat to all of us and we have to go in before he uses them on us; then, "Mission Accomplished," i.e. we're just about finished up here and we can can go home now; then, we have to stay in Iraq to bring them "democracy" which they all yearn for; then, "We can't just go home now because that would be handing Iraq to the terrorists, and they'll kill millions of us" and now it's "Holy Shit, can you imagine what kind of fucking bloodbath will result if we pull out NOW?"

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2006, 05:36:14 PM »
I say they TRIED to run Iraq but they fucked up and are continuing to fuck up, and will continue to fuck up till they finally realize it just can't be done and then they will pack up and go

So, in other words, the U.S. DOESN'T dictate who's going to run Iraq.  Kinda what we been saying all along, Tee

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2006, 05:49:21 PM »
<<Kinda what we been saying all along, Tee>>

In case you didn't get it the first time, sirs, HERE'S what you've been saying all along:

Saddam has a massive stock of WMD that are an immediate threat to all of us and we have to go in before he uses them on us; then, "Mission Accomplished," i.e. we're just about finished up here and we can can go home now; then, we have to stay in Iraq to bring them "democracy" which they all yearn for; then, "We can't just go home now because that would be handing Iraq to the terrorists, and they'll kill millions of us" and now it's "Holy Shit, can you imagine what kind of fucking bloodbath will result if we pull out NOW?"

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2006, 05:55:06 PM »
In case you didn't get it the first time, sirs, HERE'S what you've been saying all along:

No, that's not what we've been saying, but nice, if not gross, distortion

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2006, 06:00:39 PM »
<<No, that's not what we've been saying, but nice, if not gross, distortion>>

Well, that's what I remember what you conservatives have been saying so I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on that.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2006, 06:04:09 PM »
Well, that's what I remember what you conservatives have been saying so I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on that.

Then once again, you remembered wrong.  Not surprising though

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2006, 06:11:50 PM »
<<Then once again, you remembered wrong.  Not surprising though>>

I don't think I "remembered wrong," sirs, I think I remembered exactly right.  That's exactly the chain of lies and bullshit your country got from the conservatives.  And remembers, too.  That's how they know Bush lied.  And I don't get the "once again" reference either - - I remember pretty much everything pretty well, as it happens.  I think, once again, you are lying.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2006, 06:26:41 PM »
I don't think I "remembered wrong," sirs, I think I remembered exactly right.  That's exactly the chain of lies and bullshit your country got from the conservatives.  And remembers, too.  That's how they know Bush lied.  And I don't get the "once again" reference either - - I remember pretty much everything pretty well, as it happens.  I think, once again, you are lying.

You obviously did, since I'm one of those "conservatives" you keep referencing, unless you wish to provide a quote in context of someone who's quote mirrors your gross distortion.  So, in this instance, not only did you remember wrong, but more telling, you thought wrong

Lanya

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2006, 11:53:15 PM »
<<Kinda what we been saying all along, Tee>>

That's what I remember, too. 
Purple fingers! Democracy!  (Meanwhile, people here in Ohio had our votes  suppressed, not enough voting machines, etc. But that's ok, I guess.) If we leave now, then our troops will have died in vain....etc. 
Planned Parenthood is America’s most trusted provider of reproductive health care.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2006, 11:58:58 PM »
Do you think that in Ohio the right thing is to abandon all hope of improvement and leave them to their own devices?