Author Topic: Annoying virus message  (Read 1458 times)

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Annoying virus message
« on: August 05, 2008, 10:46:11 AM »
When I was having trouble logging on to this site yesterday, I tried using IE rather than Foxfire. This was unwise, as some asshole program called ASC (AntiSpyCheck) refuses to stop sending warnings that can't be closed out, and loom on the middle of the screen, other than by removing it with the CNTR ALT DELETE technique. Of course, it tells me about all the evil viruses it has found, but then thinks I should send money to remove them. I never signed up with this POS program and will not send them a dime.

It comes back, too. Suggestions are welcome.I am using AVG free and a hardware device called Stingray, and that has worked well for years. Obviously IE is to be avoided.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

ZoSo

Re: Annoying virus message
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2008, 11:02:56 AM »
When I was having trouble logging on to this site yesterday, I tried using IE rather than Foxfire.

I've been using Safari by Apple as a browser (free) & Webroot Spysweeper Antivirus at the cost of $39 a year.

The browser seems considerably faster & smoother than IE & Webroot catches everything that comes my way & automatically quarantines it....no problems whatsoever for the last 2 years.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2008, 11:26:00 AM »
And you had the gall to lecture me the other day about computer malware?

You may have installed that software as part of another install. I've seen packages that when you install them, they also install adware for other software. Less often, I've seen packages that do the same, but not until you uninstall them.

Also your Stingray, while better than nothing, is still not a real firewall. It's basically a NAT device with a pseudo-AI making adaptive changes to the rule sets to slow down some hackers.

You can use task manager to get the name of the executable that's running when that window is open, then do a search on your system for the name of the executable. When you've tracked down where it lives, you'll know what package installed it. Then I'd nuke the package and the annoying executable.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2008, 01:31:16 PM »
And you had the gall to lecture me the other day about computer malware?

You may have installed that software as part of another install. I've seen packages that when you install them, they also install adware for other software. Less often, I've seen packages that do the same, but not until you uninstall them.

Also your Stingray, while better than nothing, is still not a real firewall. It's basically a NAT device with a pseudo-AI making adaptive changes to the rule sets to slow down some hackers.

You can use task manager to get the name of the executable that's running when that window is open, then do a search on your system for the name of the executable. When you've tracked down where it lives, you'll know what package installed it. Then I'd nuke the package and the annoying executable.

I have had that sort of troubble now and then , could you explain some of these terms more fully?

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2008, 01:58:13 PM »
Which terms?
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2008, 03:52:10 PM »
dude
xo serious I hope you get that fixed
last week at work my computer got hit with the xp anti-virus malware.
it took 2 days to fix.
it`s the reason I was only able to post at night only last week
just removing it from the program file is only a temp solution
this motherf**&er self install at the next reboot and makes the computer progessively worst
I really really really  hope your problem is much simpler than mine was.
goodluck
I mean it

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2008, 04:07:55 PM »
So how did you get rid of it?
Usually they are easy to get rid of if you know how, which is the problem, finding out how to remove it.
At the moment, I see no problems with the computer, just these annoying programs that pop up and want to do a scn for free, and then try to hit you up for money. I have no faith whatever that these programs do anything useful.

The items identified as malware are PSW.x-Vir and SPYBot@Mxt
The program that pops up most often is ASC AntiSpyCheck. Once it's there, it is difficult to get it off the screen

As I recall, I said in a post that anyone could get crap placed on their computer without their knowing what it was, and Ami, who knows everything, disagreed.

Perhaps he is perfect.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2008, 04:13:58 PM by Xavier_Onassis »

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2008, 04:17:22 PM »
The firm IT guy did it
I plan to post he solution here in a day or two
No Fuc&*ng why am I not gonna learn what he did.
but adware was definately used.
it was a very thorough process

Lanya

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2008, 05:05:34 PM »
I've been buying Trend antivirus (optional firewall included) from a place called buycheapsoftware.com
and it's a lot less expensive than from Trend itself.
It's not perfect, but you can call them for help free of charge.
Planned Parenthood is America’s most trusted provider of reproductive health care.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2008, 07:26:24 PM »
As I recall, I said in a post that anyone could get crap placed on their computer without their knowing what it was, and Ami, who knows everything, disagreed.

No, I fully believe that YOU could get crap on YOUR computer without knowing about it. I disagreed that ANYONE could have it happen to them.

Read the CERT advisories when they come out and learn to build and maintain a real firewall. You, too, could be safe in your own computer. As I've said many times, if people don't understand the technology, they shouldn't be using it.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2008, 07:43:33 PM »
That's not terribly helpful.

Something like 99% of people do not know everything that happens behind the scenes on their computer.

What is a CERT advisory?

My problem is the annoying anti spyware messages that keep popping up.
I am sure that they will not solve any problems except their own need for money.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2008, 08:11:06 PM »
That's not terribly helpful.

Something like 99% of people do not know everything that happens behind the scenes on their computer.

What is a CERT advisory?

My problem is the annoying anti spyware messages that keep popping up.
I am sure that they will not solve any problems except their own need for money.

I gave you the procedure for finding and eliminating it above. CERT advisories are the reports published by the Computer Emergency Response Team. http://www.cert.org/

You wouldn't have that popup if you had a decent firewall and did not install software from unknown sources.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2008, 11:22:45 PM »
I downloaded all this and tried to follow the directions, but the Apply all actions option of AVG did not appear, and then the Smitfraudfix program did not work, either.

I am going on a trip to South America tomorrow. I suppose I will worry about this crap when I return.

I did not load any files on my computer unknowingly. I was told I had a decent firewall, and apparently, before I used IE, I did, in Firefox.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2008, 12:08:53 PM by Xavier_Onassis »