Author Topic: Who Are You?  (Read 5798 times)

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Who Are You?
« Reply #45 on: August 08, 2008, 09:55:36 AM »
*And I would be willing to bet at least one margarita that that risk is vastly less than the risk of getting into and driving a car percentage-wise.

I'll take that bet.

Risk of death while driving an automobile: 1.3 per 100 million miles driven.
Risk of death while flying in a plane: 1.9 per 100 million miles flown.

Source

So, I owe you a margie.  Meet me at Molly's tonight, we're celebrating my 43rd birthday then.

I won't even bother sniggling over that source saying Air Carriers and not specifically military style jets (which would be a more realistic comparison).

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: August 08, 2008, 11:11:09 AM »
So, I owe you a margie.  Meet me at Molly's tonight, we're celebrating my 43rd birthday then.

Can't make Molly's tonight. We'll coordinate next time we're in the same town. In the meantime, have a happy birthday, youngster.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: August 08, 2008, 03:15:55 PM »
Sounds good. 

I still say we should have a 3DHS convention in Memphis.  I still regret that we didn't meet that year I came through DC for a day or two.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: August 08, 2008, 03:21:05 PM »
Well, I'm in Charlotte most of the time currently. I'll let you know if I travel to that part of the world.

And if someone does a 3DHS convention, I'll try to make it.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: August 08, 2008, 07:54:35 PM »
A total of 14 or 15 F-102 fighters were lost in Vietnam. Three were shot down by anti-aircraft or small arms fire, one is believed to have been lost in air-to-air combat with a MiG-21, four were destroyed on the ground during Viet Cong attacks, and the remainder succumbed to training accidents.

Even in peacetime conditions, F-102 pilots risked their lives on every flight. Only highly-qualified pilot candidates were accepted for Delta Dagger training because it was such a challenging aircraft to fly and left little room for mistakes. According to the Air Force Safety Center , the lifetime Class A accident rate for the F-102 was 13.69 mishaps per 100,000 flight hours, much higher than the average for today's combat aircraft. For example, the F-16 has an accident rate of 4.14, the S-3 is at 2.6, the F-15 at 2.47, the F-18 at 4.9, and the F-117 at 4.07. Even the AV-8B, regarded as the most dangerous aircraft in service today, has an accident rate of only 11.05 mishaps per 100,000 flight hours. The F-102 claimed the lives of many pilots, including a number stationed at Ellington during Bush's tenure. Of the 875 F-102A production models that entered service, 259 were lost in accidents that killed 70 Air Force and ANG pilots.

http://www.lincolnheritage.org/About_Us/Resources/Weekly_Magazine/New_Articles/F-102__Vietnam___George_W__Bus/f-102__vietnam___george_w__bus.html