Author Topic: Quotes for the Day  (Read 2329 times)

chickencounter

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Quotes for the Day
« on: November 07, 2006, 10:57:25 AM »
"A straw vote only shows which way the hot air blows." - O. Henry (1862 - 1910) US short-story writer, journalist

"Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost." - John Quincy Adams (1767 - 1848) US president (6th)

"Ask a man which way he is going to vote, and he will probably tell you. Ask him, however, why, and vagueness is all." - Bernard Levin (1928 - ____) British journalist, critic

"Bad officials are elected by good citizens who do not vote." - George Jean Nathan (1882 - 1958) US editor, critic

"Democracy will prevail when men believe the vote of Judas as good as that of Jesus Christ." - Thomas Carlyle (1795 - 1881) Scottish essayist, historian

"Elections are won by men and women chiefly because most people vote against somebody rather than for somebody." - Franklin P. Adams (1881 - 1960) US journalist

"Did you ever think what the word 'vote' means? To me it means: 'Voice of Taxpayers Everywhere.'" - Martin Buxbaum

"Give women the vote, and in five years there will be a crushing tax on bachelors." - George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950) English dramatist, critic

"If God had wanted us to vote, he would have given us candidates." - Jay Leno (1950 - ____) US comedian, talk show host

"If he became convinced tomorrow that coming out for cannibalism would get him the votes he so sorely needs, he would begin fattening a missionary on the White House backyard come Wednesday." - H. L. Mencken (1880 - 1956) US editor, satirist

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: Quotes for the Day
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2006, 11:52:32 AM »
"Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost." - John Quincy Adams (1767 - 1848) US president (6th)

That one makes me feel even better about my vote for Chris Lugo, the Green candidate for Senator from Tennessee.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2006, 06:18:10 PM »
Suppose you were an idiot and suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.
Mark Twain

Whenever you find that you are on the side of the majority, it is time to reform.
Mark Twain
« Last Edit: November 07, 2006, 06:20:59 PM by Plane »

chickencounter

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2006, 01:07:18 AM »
I love Mark Twain quotes.