Author Topic: Asanine  (Read 1761 times)

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Asanine
« on: August 14, 2008, 11:48:22 AM »
I heard this last night on the radio.  Stunning what this once great state is turning into

L.A. City Council approves day laborer ordinance  

LOS ANGELES (AP) -- The Los Angeles City Council has approved an ordinance that could be used to require home improvement stores to provide shelter, water and bathrooms for day laborers looking for work.

The ordinance, which passed unanimously, says that big box stores like Home Depot built in the future receive "conditional-use" permits, which would allow city officials to impose the restrictions.

Councilman Bernard Parks who first proposed the ordinance four years ago says it is the first move of many to try to improve conditions for such workers.

A group of day laborers in the council chambers cheered the decision.

Home Depot spokeswoman Kathryn Gallagher expressed her company's disappointment, saying the issue is more "complicated than placing mandates on businesses."

Article
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Kramer

• Repeal ObamaCare
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: Asanine
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2008, 11:55:56 AM »
What would you expect when the mayor is a tool of the Mexican government and half the population is illegal?

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2008, 03:31:40 PM »
L.A. is gonna be like berkley which money as time goes on will be less and less.
A business is there to make money or the very least break even.
if that can`t happen ,it`ll disappear.
hollywood is learning that lesson right now.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2008, 03:44:38 PM »
You're right there, Kimba.  It's probably one of the main reasons, so many business are relocating out of state
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2008, 03:54:05 PM »
I read an article about these movie company being talked to by all these places to make thier movies .
with tax incentive and cold hard cash sometimes.
and california offer was it`s enviromentally green.
the article end with the statement wrong kinda green.

hnumpah

• You have another think coming. Use it.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2008, 04:04:56 PM »
That is asinine.
"I love WikiLeaks." - Donald Trump, October 2016

fatman

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2008, 12:52:14 AM »
I don't agree with the policy, but then again it is for future stores, not current ones.  If the company decides to build a new store and that the conditional use permit is affordable, they'll probably still do it.

I don't see this as being a whole lot different than most of the BS on a standard building permit, it's up to the builder to determine if the extra cost is worth the build.

Or am I missing something?

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2008, 01:50:09 AM »
I don't agree with the policy, but then again it is for future stores, not current ones. 

OR, current stores that are undergoing their own renovations

I don't see this as being a whole lot different than most of the BS on a standard building permit, it's up to the builder to determine if the extra cost is worth the build.  Or am I missing something?

These are NOT employees of the store.  The government has no business telling a business that they must supply people who aren't even shopping at their place, a place that they have to pay for, complete with bathroom facilities, water, shade, etc.  Then we have someone injuring themselves in one of these bathrooms.  Guess who gets sued?  Guess who has to then pay for even further facilities for non-workers/non-shoppers, most of whom are in this country illegally, in the 1st place.  Guess where those costs get passed on??

fatman

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2008, 08:08:57 AM »

I didn't see in the article where it said this, but as you're the poster I'll take your word for it.  It makes sense (that the council would try to slip that in too, not the policy itself).

These are NOT employees of the store.  The government has no business telling a business that they must supply people who aren't even shopping at their place, a place that they have to pay for, complete with bathroom facilities, water, shade, etc.  Then we have someone injuring themselves in one of these bathrooms.  Guess who gets sued?  Guess who has to then pay for even further facilities for non-workers/non-shoppers, most of whom are in this country illegally, in the 1st place.  Guess where those costs get passed on??

Point taken, I hadn't considered the liability angle.  Though, if the person that got hurt was an illegal immigrant, wouldn't they be hesitant to file suit?

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2008, 12:52:22 PM »

I didn't see in the article where it said this, but as you're the poster I'll take your word for it.  It makes sense (that the council would try to slip that in too, not the policy itself).

I had heard that point reported on the news, but I appreciate you giving me the benefit of the doubt     :)

Point taken, I hadn't considered the liability angle.  Though, if the person that got hurt was an illegal immigrant, wouldn't they be hesitant to file suit?

May......but with L.A. being a safe haven for illegal immgrants, and Lawyers just itching to take on a company like Home Depot, I'd see it much more plausible than hesitant, IMHO

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2008, 02:30:30 PM »
question

does new york have any of these restrictions?
I think I heard manhattan is pretty harsh.
my reasoning is if the east and west coast keep making these lameass moves
will the center of america be the business capital and the east &west be used as minimul relay sites
ex. colorado has a growing tech community right now
asian after all these decades can finally live there now.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2008, 09:11:28 PM »
question

does new york have any of these restrictions?
I think I heard manhattan is pretty harsh.
my reasoning is if the east and west coast keep making these lameass moves
will the center of america be the business capital and the east &west be used as minimul relay sites
ex. colorado has a growing tech community right now
asian after all these decades can finally live there now.

The industrys that export and those that import need a port , the port citys will always have this income stream .

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2008, 11:56:12 PM »
my town normally has some serious business stationed here.
but as the years go by it`s getting less and less
and the board of supervisor don`t get,that it all boils down to cost
right now thiers talk of paasing a law to fine people who don`t properly seperate thier trash.
meaning if you put any food scrapes in the trash instead of the compost bin -$100 fine
thier charging everything to death here
did you know it`s illegal to park in your own driveway here.
I would truely want to say overall people of san francisco are great folks and it`s the local government to blame .
but these are elected officials
I can`t work around that.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2008, 09:00:39 PM »
I would truely want to say overall people of san francisco are great folks and it`s the local government to blame .
but these are elected officials
I can`t work around that.

Where does one park, other than in one's driveway?

I think throwing the rascals out might be in order.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2008, 11:25:04 PM »
They experct folks to put their cars in the garage and leave the driveway empty .
but honestly I`m kinda fuzzy on why.
it might be for handicapp access or to beautify the city
maybe both
I kinda doubt handicap access since there still room from the sidewalk.
maybe the SUV`s started this.
but I agree throw those MF`s out