Author Topic: "Two major pillars of President Bush's approach to foreign policy have crumbled"  (Read 4761 times)

_JS

• Salaires legers. Chars lourds.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
LA Times
Georgia-Russia conflict a blow to Bush foreign policy
The president's reliance on diplomacy based on personal relations with leaders such as Putin and his push to establish democracies from the top down has proved not so viable.
By Julian E. Barnes
Los Angeles Times Staff Writer

August 18, 2008

WASHINGTON — In the last week, two major pillars of President Bush's approach to foreign policy have crumbled, jeopardizing eight years of work and sending the administration scrambling for new strategies in the waning months of its term.

From the earliest days of his presidency, Bush had said spreading democracy was a centerpiece of his foreign policy. At the same time, he sought to develop a more productive relationship with Russia, seeking Moscow's cooperation on issues such as terrorism, Iran's nuclear program and expansion of global energy supplies.

And in pursuing both these major goals, Bush relied heavily on developing what he saw as strong personal relationships with foreign leaders.

The recent setbacks to the president's approach were all the more unsettling because Georgia had appeared to be one of the few success stories in the administration's effort to nurture new democracies that could advance U.S. interests.

Efforts to create multi-ethnic, democratic regimes in Iraq and Afghanistan have run into repeated difficulties. And the American push for Palestinian elections in the West Bank and the Gaza Strip ended in victory for the radical group Hamas, complicating an already formidable task of reaching a Middle East peace accord.

Since the Georgia conflict erupted, Bush has repeatedly cited that nation's progress toward democracy as he promised American support. "The people of Georgia have cast their lot with the free world, and we will not cast them aside," he said.

Faced with a massive deployment of Russian military power, however, the U.S. response was confined to condemning Moscow's actions, pushing for humanitarian aid and pressing Georgia to accept a cease-fire agreement brokered by France that would leave Russian troops still inside Georgia's two breakaway enclaves.

"What freedom strategy?" asked David L. Phillips, a senior fellow at the Atlantic Council and author of a report on Georgia. "It is scorned worldwide. Afghanistan is backsliding. The bar has been set low in Iraq. Georgia is in ruins."

The damage may not be confined to Georgia, many analysts believe.

The U.S. had intended to renew its push for expanding the North Atlantic Treaty Organization into Georgia and Ukraine in December. But with its military action, Russia has signaled its categorical opposition to further expansion.

And several Western European nations are likely to be reluctant to expand the alliance, though German Chancellor Angela Merkel said Sunday during a visit to Georgia that the path to membership was still open to the former Soviet republic.

"This action is a real challenge to the idea of building a Europe whole, free and at peace," said Stephen Flanagan of the Center for Strategic and International Studies.

And Moscow's violent intervention in Georgia may put democratic movements in Ukraine and other nearby countries at risk, in the view of Leslie H. Gelb, former president of the Council on Foreign Relations.

The Bush administration should not "jeopardize these nascent democracies by letting them think that they can put themselves in this kind of situation and survive," Gelb said. "You are not just putting democracy on the line in Georgia, you are putting all of these places in that neighborhood on the line."

Although U.S. officials say they repeatedly warned Georgia not to give Russia an excuse to attack, many observers believe the warm embrace that the Bush administration gave President Mikheil Saakashvili gave him a false sense of support and a mistaken view that his friendship with the U.S. would deter a large-scale Russian invasion.

James J. Townsend Jr., a former Pentagon official now with the Atlantic Council, said emerging democracies and democratic movements often assume the U.S. can or will do more to back them.

But the realities of international affairs mean American cheerleading may be simply that.

"I have seen it over and over again be misconstrued by nations not used to dealing with us," Townsend said. "I think they misunderstand our eagerness and enthusiasm and think we are going to be behind them for anything.

The United States was not wrong to encourage democratic movements in Georgia and other nations, experts argue. But along the fringes of the former Soviet Union the task is sensitive, especially since the Bush administration coupled support for democracy with efforts to forge new security alliances there.

And rather than focusing on individual leaders, critics say, the administration should have put more effort into building up a middle class and bolstering civil institutions, a slower process.

"Every president has to stand for democracy," Gelb said. "But the notion of force-feeding democracy into societies that have never practiced it is a mistake. And in most cases we pay some price for trying to do it."

Bush rejected the evolutionary approach, hoping to create democratic governments where they had not existed before and relying on individual leaders who demonstrated charisma and espoused noble goals.

Many of those leaders have struggled. Former Prime Minister Iyad Allawi in Iraq and President Mahmoud Abbas in the Palestinian territories did not marshal enough public support. President Hamid Karzai in Afghanistan has so far failed to build an effective government. Pakistani President Pervez Musharraf came to power in a coup, has undercut democracy in his country and is on the brink being impeached. And Saakashvili badly miscalculated Russia's tolerance.

But perhaps in no case did Bush rely on a warm individual relationship with a charismatic leader more than with Russia itself. To a significant extent, Bush built U.S. policy on his individual rapport with Vladimir Putin, rather than on more traditional and impersonal diplomacy. Early in his term, Bush famously said that he got a "sense of his soul" after a meeting with Putin, who after eight years as Russia's president stepped down this year and became prime minister.

"I found him to be very straightforward and trustworthy," Bush said.

Yet Putin has consolidated power and ruled with an authoritarian might that has sharply diminished Russian democracy.

"Bush's notion was that his and Putin's personal chemistry would be enough to manage the relationship and deal with Russia's concerns," Flanagan said. "And that proved not to be the case."

Officials from an older school of international relations have long shied away from making policy decisions based on the personality of leaders.

"I have never believed that one should make national security policy on the basis of trust," Defense Secretary Robert M. Gates said Thursday when asked whether he trusted Putin. "I think you make national security policy based on interests and policies."

Gates has advocated engaging with Russia in meaningful strategic dialogues. But meaningful negotiations with Moscow will be difficult in the wake of the Georgia conflict, analysts agree.

On Thursday, Gates said Russia's military action had "called into question the entire premise of that dialogue and has profound implications for our security relationship going forward," Gates said.

Still, many experts believe that Washington must try to talk to Russia on a broad number of issues, including U.S. plans to install a missile defense system in Europe and Iran's nuclear ambitions.

"Russia is more dangerous if it is marginalized," Flanagan said. "Its potential for mischief and disruption is even greater."

julian.barnes@latimes.com
I smell something burning, hope it's just my brains.
They're only dropping peppermints and daisy-chains
   So stuff my nose with garlic
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster
   Tell me lies about Vietnam.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
So the spread of Democracy is a fundamental pillar of Bush policy?

I knew there was something I liked about him.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
<<"I have seen it over and over again be misconstrued by nations not used to dealing with us," Townsend said. "I think they misunderstand our eagerness and enthusiasm and think we are going to be behind them for anything.>>

Does this make sense to anyone?

Suppose I own a newsstand and want to open another one.  I figure I'll need about $50K more than I already have to put into the project.  Do I go ahead with the project and "misconstrue" my bank's "eagerness and enthusiasm?"  How is that possible?  What kind of lunatic would go ahead with the project without a firm and binding commitment from the bank, in writing, in the form of a LOC?  There's nothing to "construe" and nothing  to "misconstrue."  The bank's commitment is clear, unambiguous and written down in black and white.  Anyone who proceeds on less is a damned fool.  Either they're committed or they're not committed.

If the project were the invasion of South Ossetia, of course, I wouldn't expect the U.S.A. to put its commitments in writing.  America's crimes, like its atrocities, are best left undocumented.  Saakashvili would understand that, and even if he didn't, this would be made very clear to him the instant that he asked for a written commitment.  OTOH, if he planned an invasion, the verbal commitments he would get would have to be ironclad and unambiguous.  None of this "You will go.  You will return.  Never in battle shall you perish" stuff for him.  Considering what's at stake, he'd have had a firm commmitment or he wouldn't have invaded at all.

Bottom line is, I just don't believe this crap "Oh he must have misunderstood."  At that level, there is nothing to misunderstand.  They either get the green light or they do not.  What I figure happened here is the U.S. gave its commitment, figuring they'd never be called on it.  In other words, figuring that the Russians, unwilling to be drawn into armed conflict with the U.S.A., would just allow Saakashvili to get away with it: invade South Ossetia, kill Russian citizens and Russian peace-keeping troops and re-annex South Ossetia against the will of its inhabitants.  All out of fear of the U.S.A.

Well, we've just seen how fearful the Russians are of conflict with the U.S.A. 

IMHO, Georgia is just a start.  The U.S. military is crippled by its wars in Iraq and Iran.  Ukraine was similarly irritating to Russia, and it put restrictions on the Russian Black Sea Fleet's use of the port of Odessa during the Georgia crisis.  This can't be tolerated any more than Poland's

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
I have heard it said that Canadians consider haveing the USA so near is like sleeping with an elephant , no matter how benign every unknowing motion is an event.

Imagine sleeping with an hungry bear.

Russia has a lot of neighbors and it seems like they are worried for good reason , they must either admit the Russian right to take peices of them as they are wont , or they must band together .

NATO includes a lot of nations that do not really seem to care , I am a lot dissapointed in that.

But if all of Russias near neighbors were to band together they would be a force twice the size of Russias military might , at least.

Not includeing China of course , which if included ,would make the ratio rediculous.

Many Border states of Russia are offended , perhaps Russians should try some mildness , the threat fulfilled in Georgia could be fullfilled in any of the other borders (almost, Tibet isn't in play).

So a NATO pact seems more and more likme a good idea , but because Half of NATO would be frozen by a Russian gas valve being shut , the really better pact might be a revival of the Warsaw pact , excludeing Russia. The New Europe might not be so slow to rouse against the reactionary return to Czarst ambition.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2008, 11:21:52 PM by Plane »

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
<<I have heard it said that Canadians consider haveing the USA so near is like sleeping with an elephant , no matter how benign every unknowing motion is an event.>>

For most of my life, there was no sense of an elephant for most of us.  We liked having the U.S. as a neighbour and we admired the country and its leaders.  This peaked with the JFK administration, with the small exception of the Cuban issue, but even there most of us felt that JFK was trapped by the final actions of the lame-duck Eisenhower administration, chiefly John Foster Dulles' evil plans.

All this began to change with the Viet Nam war, at first only with the students, the church people and the leftists and then gradually seeping out into the mainstream.

But I never saw anything like the present levels of anti-Americanism here, most of which I attribute to the Bush administration.

<<But if all of Russias near neighbors were to band together they would be a force twice the size of Russias military might , at least.

<<Not includeing China of course , which if included ,would make the ratio rediculous.>>

If you haven't already noticed, Russia and China have been banding together for a few years already in the Shanghai Cooperative Organization.  It's only a matter of time before India, Pakistan and Iran, all of which have observer status, will join as well.  Some of Russia's smaller neighbours are already full-fledged members.  You see, plane, the real threat to world peace is not Russia or China, it is the U.S.A.  So your dreams of an anti-Russian coalition make no sense, while the practical need for an anti-American alliance is already beginning to show fruit in the real world.

<<Many Border states of Russia are offended , perhaps Russians should try some mildness , the threat fulfilled in Georgia could be fullfilled in any of the other borders (almost, Tibet isn't in play).>>

Well, so far, despite what YOU think the "border states" should be worried about (what Russia might do to them) they are in fact in the real world much more worried about what the U.S.A. might do to them.  To wit: the present members of the S.C.O. include Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan, Tajikistan, Mongolia and Kyrgyzstan.

<<because Half of NATO would be frozen by a Russian gas valve being shut , the really better pact might be a revival of the Warsaw pact , excludeing Russia. The New Europe might not be so slow to rouse against the reactionary return to Czarst ambition.>>

Where does the New Europe get ITS oil and gas from, if I may ask?

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Is there as much Anti Americanism in Canada as there is anti Russian sentiment in Georgia?

Perhaps the Russian logic is correct and near neighbors need to be subdued and forbidden an independant course.

I think that tin Eastern Europe they buy a lot of Russian gas too , and they might want to be freinds with their supplyer , provided that the supplyer is not an imperialist power bent on their subjugation.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
<<Is there as much Anti Americanism in Canada as there is anti Russian sentiment in Georgia?>>

I don't know.  There's a lot, though.

<<Perhaps the Russian logic is correct and near neighbors need to be subdued and forbidden an independant course.>>

Well, you have to wonder how "independent" it is when your next door neighbour decides to be best friends with a hostile and aggressive bully who lives way over on the other side of town, and is known to spend billions on buying friends and subverting neighbours.

<<I think that tin Eastern Europe they buy a lot of Russian gas too , and they might want to be freinds with their supplyer  . . . >>

Now that does make some sense, doesn't it?

<< . . .  provided that the supplyer is not an imperialist power bent on their subjugation.>>

Does "subjugation" mean "preventing them from erecting military bases and installations in your front yard on behalf of some oversized bully who has already invaded over 50 independent nations since the end of WWII?"

Knutey

So the spread of Democracy is a fundamental pillar of Bush policy?

I knew there was something I liked about him.

Sadly , spreading democracy is like tilting at windmills. Neither  accomplish anything and are never appreciated by the windmills.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
You vermin-ridden draft-dodgin' witless bovine vomitrocious smegging weiner !!
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Knutey

You vermin-ridden draft-dodgin' witless bovine vomitrocious smegging weiner !!
Just as I suspected , reduced to hurling insults with no substance, how sad. You might have made a good Press Secretary for the Bushidiot from the Hague.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
You pus-sucking pinko-commie-sympathizin' airheaded up-chuck-inspiring butt-licking twit !!
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
Last i heard Georgia was still a democratic country and we are not at war with Russia, so what really has changed?

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
You pus-sucking pinko-commie-sympathizin' airheaded up-chuck-inspiring butt-licking twit !!

Ygh!

All right you have this talent, do you really want this talent?

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
<<Last i heard Georgia was still a democratic country and we are not at war with Russia, so what really has changed?>>

Well,

1.  Georgia had 3,000 democratic Georgian troops in Iraq helping out their fellow-democracy America bring lotsa democracy to Iraq and now they aren't there any more; and,

2.  Democratic Georgia wanted to join all the democratic European members of the democratic North Atlantic Treaty Organization and put democratic freedom-loving military bases for the democratic freedom-loving Americans right up against the non-democratic Russian border to further encircle it with freedom-loving democratic armies, but as the "evil" Russians have conclusively demonstrated, this.  just.  ain't.  gonna,  happen.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
All right you have this talent, do you really want this talent?

Actually, the guy who wrote the software had the talent. ;-)

Like I said, I'm only responding with what his posts are worth - a random, mindless, computerized insult generator program.