Author Topic: Agreement reached on interrogations  (Read 2780 times)

hnumpah

• You have another think coming. Use it.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Agreement reached on interrogations
« on: September 21, 2006, 08:25:26 PM »
"I love WikiLeaks." - Donald Trump, October 2016

Lanya

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: Agreement reached on interrogations
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2006, 02:47:53 AM »
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/09/22/opinion/22fri1.html?_r=1&hp=&oref=slogin&pagewanted=print

http://balkin.blogspot.com/2006/09/senators-snatch-defeat-from-jaws-of.html

Senators Snatch Defeat From Jaws of Victory: U.S. to be First Nation to Authorize Violations of Geneva

Marty Lederman

I hope that that headline is a gross exaggeration, but based on a few quick seconds purusing the "compromise," I'm afraid it's not. [The Administration appears to agree. Stephen Hadley was crowing to reporters within minutes that the bill would authorize the CIA "program" to "go forward." And a "senior administration official" -- apparently Dan Bartlett -- told the Washington Post "that Bush essentially got what he asked for in a different formulation that allows both sides to maintain their concerns were addressed. 'We kind of take the scenic route, but we get there,' the official said."] [NOTE: I will be updating this post as we learn more, and if I have any time to parse the language more closely. I would dearly love if my initial impression -- and Hadley's -- is proven to be dead wrong. So I sincerely invite folks from the Senate staffs and elsewhere to write in with comments and corrections. [...........]
Planned Parenthood is America’s most trusted provider of reproductive health care.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
Re: Agreement reached on interrogations
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2006, 08:59:55 AM »
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)