Author Topic: So it's Biden  (Read 13892 times)

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: So it's Biden
« Reply #75 on: August 26, 2008, 05:18:22 PM »
In Maryland (the last place I really kept up with it) the minority schools tended to receive higher funding. At the time (2002 or 2003), Baltimore City schools (mostly minority) received around $9,400 / per pupil each year. Baltimore County schools (mostly white / asian) received around $7,500 / per pupil each year. The city schools got a "boost" from the state to their funding, even though the county had more property tax receipts.

D'OH
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

_JS

• Salaires legers. Chars lourds.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #76 on: August 26, 2008, 06:30:25 PM »
I'm not sure there is any sense in responding since some people seem to see this as a game of "gotcha."

But, I'll try anyway. While I have no doubt about the veracity of your example Ami, as you well know anything that has been neglected or in disrepair takes quite a bit of time, effort, and money to repair. While something in good working order does not take as much to maintain at current performance levels. So that story doesn't really surprise me in the least.

I smell something burning, hope it's just my brains.
They're only dropping peppermints and daisy-chains
   So stuff my nose with garlic
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster
   Tell me lies about Vietnam.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #77 on: August 26, 2008, 06:42:17 PM »
I think my question has been unanswered. In Ami's case comparing city of Baltimore with Baltimore County is not comparing apples to apples. What i was wondering was if ps2 (mixed- mostly minority) in the city of Baltimore receives the same as ps3 (mixed-mostly white) in the city of Baltimore. If 9400 per student per year is spent at both schools and ps3 does better scholastically than ps2 what other variables are in play, and does  white flight really come into play?

I'm guessing the white flight remark was a throwaway one liner, but if it wasn't what effect did it really have.

_JS

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #78 on: August 26, 2008, 06:44:41 PM »
I might have made an off-the-cuff remark, but I do believe it is a serious variable in the history of American public education.
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #79 on: August 26, 2008, 06:47:27 PM »
I might have made an off-the-cuff remark, but I do believe it is a serious variable in the history of American public education

How so? Let's examine your hypothesis.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #80 on: August 26, 2008, 06:49:25 PM »
I think my question has been unanswered.

Same with mine

« Last Edit: August 26, 2008, 06:55:42 PM by sirs »
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

_JS

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #81 on: August 26, 2008, 06:54:57 PM »
I might have made an off-the-cuff remark, but I do believe it is a serious variable in the history of American public education

How so? Let's examine your hypothesis.

I'm not writing a thesis here. How did you wish to proceed?
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #82 on: August 26, 2008, 08:41:49 PM »
Cindy said schools started going downhill in the 70's. What do YOU think were contributing factors. What happened in the 70's that was different than in previous decades? White flight might allow for disparity for differences between districts, what accounts for differences inside districts?

Cynthia

« Reply #83 on: August 26, 2008, 09:53:13 PM »
Basically, I was well into a mannered discussion with BT when I was rudely interrupted by a slam! Sirs is such a pesty nobody in my opinion. But, I am not going to take this further. He's not worth my time. I sincerely thought he was reacting to the fact that I had put out in terms of being evaluated by a leader who knows far less than her trained teachers in curriculum. But, alas, of course not. . . he's bitchy rhetoric without one ounce of meat to sink one's teeth into snuck up on me like a freaking red ant at a picnic. ;)

He wasn't even listening to what I was trying to say. I was, in no way, running away from any issue or question. In fact, I thought I was replying to Bill's response and questions. There is so much more to the issue because it is a human issue as well as a political issue. I thought Gary was listening....I was and remain very disappointed in his lack of class to blast me and make accusations. But, then again, he has that reputation for being a real jerk. I refuse to even read him in the future. He made it personal AGAIN and sadly I was interested in a real discussion with bt. OH WELL. such is life on the gate when it comes to a pest....he is nothing but a pest who licks up the posts one at a time as if he's a freaking termite trying to make his own home.....But he lacks in a certain kind of balance when it comes to real discussion. Gary didn't used to be this way, but I have given him a chance to regroup and call his card with civility and as a gentleman.

Not going to happen and frankly, I don't give a damn.

I suppose this issue is dead for me now, as I was so enjoying the debate with BT. I really was. I almost feel disdain for Sirs PC....like I said, I will NEVER READ HIM AGAIN. I will bypass his idiocy pure and simple.

I never said I was an A+ debater. I am interested in a decent and clear out discussion....Sirs is not. HE wants the fight. He has changed over the years. Too bad. I used to appreciate his read.

No mas

So, I react and get pissed...who wouldn't. My Gawd!

He's wrong and I maintain he's not worth my time.

Cindy

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #84 on: August 27, 2008, 12:12:39 AM »
Wow.....interesting twist....asking a SERIOUS question = an interruptive slam, to Miss Cynthia.  I guess when one doesn't have an answer, hide behind victimhood, ......I guess

Cynthia

« Reply #85 on: August 27, 2008, 12:13:44 AM »
Wow.....interesting twist....asking a SERIOUS question = an interruptive slam, to Miss Cynthia.  I guess when one doesn't have an answer, hide behind victimhood, ......I guess

Good night, Gary.

Leave me alone.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #86 on: August 27, 2008, 02:11:42 AM »
I'm not sure.......actually, I have a good idea, of what the problem is here, Miss Cynthia.  I called you on an obvious flaw in the continued verbals assaults aimed at Bt, NCLB and the GOP/Bush, by yourself.  And when pressed, you just tried to ignore it, and I simply wouldn't let you.  I did ask a very pointed and serious question, and you responsed with deflection, then apparently pleaded ignorance, by simply ignoring the inquiry.  At no time have I lowered myself to calling you grade school names.  That's left for the knutes of the world.  Yet there you are, unable to answer my question, and instead responding with.....grade school name calling

As I said, what this really does is demonstrate just how myopic the accusations are about NCLB & Public Education being "underfunded".  I think most of us realize, there's never going to be a point where either are "fully funded".  That's the beauty of your non-answer.  No matter what increases are made, year, after year, after year, after year to the budget for Public Education, no matter how high our per-pupil spending goes, it'll never be "fully funded" now, will it?

Cynthia

« Reply #87 on: August 27, 2008, 02:24:29 AM »
Sirs,

Goodnight.

You are not worh my time.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #88 on: August 27, 2008, 02:49:21 AM »
See what I mean.  Willful ignorance in answering a direct question, with the overt effort to make this all about sirs supposedly rudely slamming poor Miss Cynthia, ...........all the while who's doing the myriad of name calling??

Underfunded..........riiiiiight

_JS

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #89 on: August 27, 2008, 01:12:46 PM »
Cindy said schools started going downhill in the 70's. What do YOU think were contributing factors. What happened in the 70's that was different than in previous decades? White flight might allow for disparity for differences between districts, what accounts for differences inside districts?

Let me ask you something first, Bt.

I hear a lot about how money doesn't matter in how well schools perform. Yet, I see two very contradictory problems with that (well three, but the third is far too obvious to point out).

1. Proposition 13 is blamed for a lot of things in California and often unfairly so. But one thing it did do is force a lot of budget cuts in education. There is no doubt that just after Prop 13 California public schools spent less per pupil. Also, their ranking as a school system went from being consistently in the top 5 to a near bottom-dweller. I don't doubt that there are other variables involved, but if public spending is not a variable at all - then how is this explained?

2. Why are the top public school systems consistently ones that spend more per student whereas the bottom of the bunch (ahem - Southern states, especially Mississippi) are the ones who spend the least? Again, I'm not arguing causation, but there is definitely correlation.

Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster