Author Topic: Dem Veep Analyses  (Read 2332 times)

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Dem Veep Analyses
« on: August 24, 2008, 05:23:27 PM »
For those wishing to post + or - assessments of Obama's picks, as well as op-eds doing the same, I thought I'd provide this thread in doing so.  I'll start with this one:

The candidate of change went with the status quo.
Analysis: Biden pick shows lack of confidence

By RON FOURNIER

In picking Sen. Joe Biden to be his running mate, Barack Obama sought to shore up his weakness - inexperience in office and on foreign policy - rather than underscore his strength as a new-generation candidate defying political conventions.

He picked a 35-year veteran of the Senate - the ultimate insider - rather than a candidate from outside Washington, such as Govs. Tim Kaine of Virginia or Kathleen Sebelius of Kansas; or from outside his party, such as Sen. Chuck Hagel of Nebraska; or from outside the mostly white male club of vice presidential candidates. Hillary Rodham Clinton didn't even make his short list.

The picks say something profound about Obama: For all his self-confidence, the 47-year-old Illinois senator worried that he couldn't beat Republican John McCain without help from a seasoned politician willing to attack. The Biden selection is the next logistical step in an Obama campaign that has become more negative - a strategic decision that may be necessary but threatens to run counter to his image.

Democratic strategists, fretting over polls that showed McCain erasing Obama's lead this summer, welcomed the move. They, too, worried that Obama needed a more conventional - read: tougher - approach to McCain.

"You've got to hand it to the candidate and the campaign. They have a great sense of timing and tone and appropriateness. Six months ago, people said he wasn't tough enough on Hillary Clinton - he was being too passive - but he got it right at the right time," said Democratic strategist Jim Jordan. "He'll get it right again."

Indeed, Obama has begun to aggressively counter McCain's criticism with negative television ads and sharp retorts from the campaign trail.

A senior Obama adviser, speaking on condition of anonymity, said his boss has expressed impatience with what he calls a "reverence" inside his campaign for his message of change and new politics. In other words, Obama is willing - even eager - to risk what got him this far if it gets him to the White House.

Biden brings a lot to the table. An expert on national security, the Delaware senator voted in 2002 to authorize military intervention in Iraq but has since become a vocal critic of the conflict. He won praise for a plan for peace in Iraq that would divide the country along ethnic lines.

Chief sponsor of a sweeping anti-crime bill that passed in 1994, Biden could help inoculate Obama from GOP criticism that he's soft on crime - a charge his campaign fears will drive a wedge between white voters and the first black candidate with a serious shot at the White House.

So the question is whether Biden's depth counters Obama's inexperience - or highlights it?

After all, Biden is anything but a change agent, having been in office longer than half of all Americans have been alive. Longer than McCain.

And he talks too much.

On the same day he announced his second bid for the presidency, Biden found himself explaining why he had described Obama as "clean."

And there's the 2007 ABC interview in which Biden said he would stand by an earlier statement that Obama was not ready to serve as president.

It seems Obama is worried that some voters are starting to agree.

A Lack of Confidence
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: Dem Veep Analyses
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2008, 05:27:27 PM »
For all his self-confidence, the 47-year-old Illinois senator worried that he couldn't beat Republican John McCain without help from a seasoned politician willing to attack. The Biden selection is the next logistical step in an Obama campaign that has become more negative - a strategic decision that may be necessary but threatens to run counter to his image.

[][][][][][][][][]

This makes Biden a good choice then , he is glib and can pour vitriol when it seems appropriate to him.

It may not seem real to the public though , there is a lot of tape floating already of Biden paying complements to McCain .

Kramer

• Repeal ObamaCare
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2008, 05:32:16 PM »
Why can't Dems win presidential elections?

Because they are not local they are national and it matters not who the VP is -- because people are voting for POTUS.

If you are not qualified then your VP choice is moot.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2008, 05:43:06 PM »
BT might disagree with that position, Kramer
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Kramer

• Repeal ObamaCare
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2008, 05:55:20 PM »
BT might disagree with that position, Kramer

The polls will shed light on whether there is any truth to the VP affect as they are basically tied right now.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2008, 01:23:29 AM »
Obama's Cheney

August 25, 2008

After 36 years in the Senate, Joe Biden has been called many things, but an agent of change isn't one of them. Barack Obama was 12 years old when Mr. Biden won his first Senate campaign in 1972, though in this campaign that's a virtue. The advantage the 65-year-old Delaware Senator brings to this Democratic ticket is experience, especially on foreign affairs.

In that sense, Mr. Biden's selection looks like a shrewd choice. The Foreign Relations Committee Chairman fills a gaping hole in Mr. Obama's resume, especially for a fall run against a seasoned national security hand like John McCain. Republicans are already having fun with a TV ad showing that, during the primaries, Mr. Biden had said Mr. Obama isn't ready to be President. That's fair enough, but many voters may think better of the rookie candidate for recognizing his weakness and addressing it.

Joe Biden is no hawk as we understand the term. He is, however, in the liberal foreign policy mainstream, part of the Richard Holbrooke-Dennis Ross wing of the Democratic Party. This means he brings some realism to national security questions, realizing that there are men and nations in the world that wish America harm and that sometimes they have to be confronted.

He voted for the Iraq war in 2002, understanding that Saddam Hussein was a threat, and he waited longer than the other Democratic Presidential candidates to turn against the war.
He was wrong about the surge in Iraq, and wrong as well in his repeated claims that "political reconciliation" had to precede security progress.

We now know that security was the prerequisite for political progress. But Mr. Biden also recognized the costs of potential U.S. failure in Iraq, and thus he never endorsed a wholesale retreat the way that Mr. Obama did.

In all of this he is a welcome contrast to Anthony Lake, Susan Rice and the other superdoves who populate Mr. Obama's national security councils. Their advice has produced such displays as Mr. Obama's stumbling early response to Russia's aggression in Georgia, when he sounded as if he believed that both sides were equally at fault. As a vice presidential choice, in short, Mr. Biden is not unlike Governor George W. Bush's selection in 2000 of Dick Cheney as a reassuring counselor on national security. If the angry liberal Netroots don't like that analogy, so much the better for the country.

No doubt Mr. Obama is counting on Mr. Biden to take out after Senator McCain, and that should be entertaining, if not an adventure. Mr. Biden is legendary for his loquacity, and his riffs can take, well, curious turns. We were reminded this weekend of his remark, in March 2001, to John Bolton, during his confirmation hearing to be Undersecretary of State for arms control: "My problem with you, over the years, has been you're too competent. I mean, I would rather you be stupid and not very effective. I would have had a better shot over the years." That didn't prevent Mr. Biden, four years later, from leading the nasty assault on Mr. Bolton's nomination to be U.S. Ambassador to the U.N.

In any number of ways, Mr. Biden does not help Mr. Obama's theme of changing Washington. The biggest false note in Saturday's joint Obama-Biden appearance was when Mr. Obama said that Mr. Biden will help him "turn the page on the ugly partisanship of Washington." Tell that to Robert Bork, Clarence Thomas or Ursula Meese, wife of Reagan-era Attorney General Ed Meese, whom Mr. Biden drove to tears with one of his ugly Judiciary Committee tirades. Mr. Biden has been in the middle of some of the Beltway's most ferocious partisan warfare.

If Saturday's event and recent campaign ads are a guide, Mr. Obama is shifting his message after his recent fall in the polls. The inspiring if also vague calls for change are giving way to a harder-edged economic populism and attacks on Mr. McCain that Mr. Biden will be called upon to carry out. With that message, Mr. Obama is becoming less an outsider and much more like the Democrats who now run Congress. We'll find out in November how reassuring voters find that message.

Obama's Cheney

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2008, 11:56:08 AM »
Catholics outraged over choice of Biden as VP candidate
Saturday, 23rd August 2008

By: Nick Mackenzie.

Roman Catholic groups in the USA have reacted with outrage to the news that Barack Obama has chosen Joe Biden to be his running mate.

In a text message to his supporters today Obama announced that Biden would be his Vice-Presidential candidate, to be confirmed at the Democratic Convention next week.

But Catholic groups have voiced their anger over the choice, because of Biden?s support for abortion.

The Roman Catholic group, Fidelis, said the choice was " a slap in the face to Catholic voters" and poses a major challenge for American Catholics.

Fidelis president, Brian Burch, said that Obama had "re-opened a wound among American Catholics" by picking a pro-abortion Catholic politician like Joe Biden.

The row raises a major problem for Catholic groups, as just last week the Vatican reaffirmed its policy that Catholics, and Biden is a Catholic, who support abortion would not be allowed to take Communion.

During the recent Democratic primary campaign Biden said: ?I am a long-standing supporter of Roe v Wade and a woman's right to choose."

"Senator Biden is an unrepentant supporter of abortion in direct opposition to the church he claims as his own. Selecting a pro-abortion Catholic is a slap in the face to Catholic voters," said Burch.

According to Burch, "The American bishops have instructed Catholic voters to consider many issues, but have characterized the defence of human life as foundational and have explained that the issue has a special claim on the conscience of the Catholic voter. This means that a political candidate like Biden, because of his strong support for abortion rights, forfeits any claim for support despite his views on other issues like health care and the economy."

Article

_JS

• Salaires legers. Chars lourds.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2008, 02:11:37 PM »
Why can't Dems win presidential elections?

Because they are not local they are national and it matters not who the VP is -- because people are voting for POTUS.

If you are not qualified then your VP choice is moot.

If that were the problem then the Democrats wouldn't be looking at gains in both the House and Senate. That doesn't seem like very good analysis to me.
I smell something burning, hope it's just my brains.
They're only dropping peppermints and daisy-chains
   So stuff my nose with garlic
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster
   Tell me lies about Vietnam.

_JS

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2008, 02:17:22 PM »
I would warn that Fidelis is not representative of all, or even most Catholics as the title of the article implies (of course I realize that you had nothing to do with the title). They are an excellent example of the American conservative political wing of the Church, but not the conservative theological wing of the Church.
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2008, 03:43:56 PM »
Close assessment.....though I think it's likely representative of those Catholics who see abortion is a sin, or as wrong, or as whatever negative you wish to apply to it, which isn't neccesarily "political"

_JS

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2008, 04:16:41 PM »
Close assessment.....though I think it's likely representative of those Catholics who see abortion is a sin, or as wrong, or as whatever negative you wish to apply to it, which isn't neccesarily "political"

I see abortion as a sin. I'm Catholic. I don't belong to Fidelis, nor do I hold their views.
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2008, 04:20:28 PM »

I see abortion as a sin. I'm Catholic. I don't belong to Fidelis, nor do I hold their views.

Thank you for that personal position

_JS

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2008, 04:23:48 PM »

Most Catholics I know do not belong to Fidelis.

Do you know anyone who does?
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2008, 04:31:13 PM »

Most Catholics I know do not belong to Fidelis.

I wasn't aware I stated or even implied such.  "Most" Catholics belonging to 1 organization??  outide the obvious of the Chatholc church, of course.  "Most" gun owners a member of the NRA??    oy

_JS

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2008, 06:31:51 PM »
I wasn't aware I stated or even implied such.  "Most" Catholics belonging to 1 organization??  outide the obvious of the Chatholc church, of course.  "Most" gun owners a member of the NRA??    oy

"I think it's likely representative of those Catholics who see abortion is a sin..."

"I wasn't aware I stated or even implied such."

Are you daft?
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster