Author Topic: Back from South America  (Read 929 times)

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Back from South America
« on: August 27, 2008, 06:02:33 PM »
I got home from Buenos Aires at 4:55 this AM, and made it through customs and got home on the city bus at 6:00 AM. I kept a journal of all my travels, from Montevideo, Uruguay, across by bus Uruguay to Salto, then across the Uruguay River to Concordia on a ferry, and again by bus to Corrientes, a city of maybe 1.5 million on the S. Bank of the Parana (which by the way, is about five times wider at where it joins the Rio Paraguay than the Mississippi is at New Orleans), and then on to Ituzaingó, where I did the official PR tour of the Yacyretá dam project which has boat locks as well as elevators for fish, and then to Posadas, in Misiones province, Argentina, a totally agreeable laid-back place, and then across the Paraná to Encarnació,, and another bus to Asunción, the capital of Paraguay, out across to Eastern Chaco to Pozo Colorado, and back to Concepcion. I stayed with the owner of a model farm, called El Roble, run by a very inventive and well educated East German who bears a resemblance to Crocodile Dundee who puts up tourists, grows nearly all his own food and sells it in his own store in Concepcion.

I kept a journal, which is about 90 handwritten double-spaced pages, took over 180 potos, and am planning to put it up in Spanish and English, including neat topics such as why coatimundis and toucans are not really great pets, but perhaps carpinchos (capybaras) are.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

_JS

• Salaires legers. Chars lourds.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: Back from South America
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2008, 06:07:58 PM »
Wow.

That sounds like a fantastic trip, XO.
I smell something burning, hope it's just my brains.
They're only dropping peppermints and daisy-chains
   So stuff my nose with garlic
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster
   Tell me lies about Vietnam.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2008, 06:15:59 PM »
It was a great and very informative trip. I will be returning to Paraguay, Uruguay and Argentina I am sure. All are very interesting and the people are very friendly. A LOT friendly, I think than Americans, who, of course, think they are the friendliest folks on Earth.

When Uruguayos wave their giant rubber fingers and shout Uruguay numero Uno. It is only in a soccer stadium. They are patriotic and proud of Uruguay, but like the idea that the current president a medical doctor, Tabare Vasquez, refuses to live in the rather nice presidential palace, so that he can continue to treat his patients in the office next to his home. There is one agreed-upon national hero, the gaucho General Artigas. But there are about thirty parks dedicated to the heroes of other countries.

I will let everyone know the web addresses where I post all this, but it will take a while.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2008, 06:23:07 PM by Xavier_Onassis »
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Kramer

• Repeal ObamaCare
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2008, 09:32:06 PM »
It was a great and very informative trip. I will be returning to Paraguay, Uruguay and Argentina I am sure. All are very interesting and the people are very friendly. A LOT friendly, I think than Americans, who, of course, think they are the friendliest folks on Earth.

When Uruguayos wave their giant rubber fingers and shout Uruguay numero Uno. It is only in a soccer stadium. They are patriotic and proud of Uruguay, but like the idea that the current president a medical doctor, Tabare Vasquez, refuses to live in the rather nice presidential palace, so that he can continue to treat his patients in the office next to his home. There is one agreed-upon national hero, the gaucho General Artigas. But there are about thirty parks dedicated to the heroes of other countries.

I will let everyone know the web addresses where I post all this, but it will take a while.

Move there, you would be much happier. Have your SS check deposited in a SA bank and live like a queen...Plus with the Internet you can still post here and insult people that you disagree with.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2008, 09:58:37 PM »
Sounds like a great trip, XO.  We were in BA and Montevideo last December for the first time.  Also Punta del Este.  I found the folks in Uruguay exceptionally friendly, BA not so much, it had a real Big City atmosphere to it.  But an all-Latino Big City.

I wouldn't short the U.S. people on friendliness, though.  You war-mongering imperialists are a lot friendlier to strangers than, say, the Canadians or the English.