Author Topic: Putin accuses US of provoking conflict in Georgia, possibly for the election  (Read 13650 times)

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
The Russian Government on the other hand benefits directly and monetarily , so we know that it was not them who stirred the problem up.

Knutey

The Russian Government on the other hand benefits directly and monetarily , so we know that it was not them who stirred the problem up.

At least they are smart enough to benefit . The Bushidiot wants to benefit , but screws it up so badly that he doesnt.

_JS

• Salaires legers. Chars lourds.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
once again we see the leftist must resort to some wild conspiracy "to make all the dots connect"
yeah Spain pulled off the Madrid bombings themselves
9/11 was actually a Dick Cheney inside job
Florida was "stolen" 2000....lol
Ohio was "stolen" in 2004
Israel controls the US government
if Bin Laden is captured it's a big hoax
blah blah blah

as usual no official investigative sources have made those findings
democrats would have to be in on alot of it too
sheer lunacy to to live in a pretend land where all the dots fit
 ::)

This isn't a "leftist conspiracy" - it is the leader of another nation. One that President Bush likes very much (I won't pull out the tired quote that Bush used to describe Putin).

Why is Putin automatically dismissed? Do we know that he is wrong?
I smell something burning, hope it's just my brains.
They're only dropping peppermints and daisy-chains
   So stuff my nose with garlic
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster
   Tell me lies about Vietnam.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
once again we see the leftist must resort to some wild conspiracy "to make all the dots connect"
yeah Spain pulled off the Madrid bombings themselves
9/11 was actually a Dick Cheney inside job
Florida was "stolen" 2000....lol
Ohio was "stolen" in 2004
Israel controls the US government
if Bin Laden is captured it's a big hoax
blah blah blah

as usual no official investigative sources have made those findings
democrats would have to be in on alot of it too
sheer lunacy to to live in a pretend land where all the dots fit
 ::)

This isn't a "leftist conspiracy" - it is the leader of another nation. One that President Bush likes very much (I won't pull out the tired quote that Bush used to describe Putin).

Why is Putin automatically dismissed? Do we know that he is wrong?

Seems like a very self serveing and retroactive evaluation. It seems like an attempt at deflection.

He has troops miles beyond the portion he is supposedly protecting , and they are digging.

_JS

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Seems like a very self serveing and retroactive evaluation. It seems like an attempt at deflection.

He has troops miles beyond the portion he is supposedly protecting , and they are digging.

Really? The reports I have read have said that the Russians are pulling out of Georgia and settling back into South Ossetia. Moreover, the BBC reported that Russian soldiers chatted with Georgian locals. There were no car bombs or suicide attacks against the Russians. The South Ossetians seemed rather happy to have the Russians there.

So what part of that is so awful? Mind you, I'd much prefer no combat at all - but it was Georgia who went into South Ossetia with rifles raised.

And what part of that automatically proves Putin wrong?
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:

Really? The reports I have read have said that the Russians are pulling out of Georgia and settling back into South Ossetia. Moreover, the BBC reported that Russian soldiers chatted with Georgian locals. There were no car bombs or suicide attacks against the Russians. The South Ossetians seemed rather happy to have the Russians there.

So what part of that is so awful? Mind you, I'd much prefer no combat at all - but it was Georgia who went into South Ossetia with rifles raised.

And what part of that automatically proves Putin wrong?

That Georgian Troops cannot "invade" their own territory.

That Putin stands to gain a lot very directly , but he points at a potential gain that is rediculously speculative and distant.

It seems unlikely that he is telling anything like the truth , as how can he avoid the duty of an accuser , of proveing what he says?

_JS

• View Profile
  • Liked:

Nah. This excuse doesn't fly to anyone who actually knows something about the region. South Ossetia may be in Georgian territory on your UN map, but in reality it has never been ruled from Georgia since the CCCP collapsed. Again, you confuse lines on a piece of paper for real life. Democrats and Republicans may get up on their podiums and bitch about how the Georgians were unfairly treated. Yet, the reality is that South Ossetia never wanted to be a part of Georgia, and in reality they never have been. That relationship only exists in the UN, EU, and US. In South Ossetia, the Ossetic people run the country.

That Putin stands to gain a lot very directly , but he points at a potential gain that is rediculously speculative and distant.

Gain what? South Ossetia is not known for their vast wealth of resources.

It seems unlikely that he is telling anything like the truth , as how can he avoid the duty of an accuser , of proveing what he says?

And what does this country have? Moral authority against invading another nation?!? HAHAHA I think that ship has sailed. Even if we accept, for argument's sake, that Georgia has a fair claim on South Ossetia, I still do not see where the United States can step in and tell the Russians they are wrong. Not only did we invade Iraq under what turned out to be wafer-thin, flimsy, joke-of-the-world evidence - we've also invaded our neighbors quite literally HUNDREDS of times. And we support other nations (ahem...Israel) that freely invades her neighbors at will.

Do I automatically believe Putin? No, of course not. Do I believe we're capable of what he claims? Absolutely. Considering what we've done in the past - it wouldn't even register in our top 10 worst offenses.
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:

Nah. This excuse doesn't fly to anyone who actually knows something about the region. South Ossetia may be in Georgian territory on your UN map, but in reality it has never been ruled from Georgia since the CCCP collapsed. Again, you confuse lines on a piece of paper for real life. Democrats and Republicans may get up on their podiums and bitch about how the Georgians were unfairly treated. Yet, the reality is that South Ossetia never wanted to be a part of Georgia, and in reality they never have been. That relationship only exists in the UN, EU, and US. In South Ossetia, the Ossetic people run the country.

Gain what? South Ossetia is not known for their vast wealth of resources.

And what does this country have? Moral authority against invading another nation?!? HAHAHA I think that ship has sailed. Even if we accept, for argument's sake, that Georgia has a fair claim on South Ossetia, I still do not see where the United States can step in and tell the Russians they are wrong. Not only did we invade Iraq under what turned out to be wafer-thin, flimsy, joke-of-the-world evidence - we've also invaded our neighbors quite literally HUNDREDS of times. And we support other nations (ahem...Israel) that freely invades her neighbors at will.

Do I automatically believe Putin? No, of course not. Do I believe we're capable of what he claims? Absolutely. Considering what we've done in the past - it wouldn't even register in our top 10 worst offenses.

South Ossetia is full of ethnic Russians because that was CCCP policy, Georgia is not the only country with this problem.

Protecting ethnic Germans in Poland was just a trumped up excuse , I don't see better trumping this time.

What Russia has to gain is the precident , it can become their policy that wherever there are Russians settled  , Russia has a territorial claim. This has a lot of potential for trouble , especially since Russians don't see anything wrong with ethnic cleansing.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
They also get a Black Sea port.

_JS

• View Profile
  • Liked:
South Ossetia is full of ethnic Russians because that was CCCP policy, Georgia is not the only country with this problem.

Protecting ethnic Germans in Poland was just a trumped up excuse , I don't see better trumping this time.

What Russia has to gain is the precident , it can become their policy that wherever there are Russians settled  , Russia has a territorial claim. This has a lot of potential for trouble , especially since Russians don't see anything wrong with ethnic cleansing.

Ossetians are not Russians. They speak a language close to the Persians. I think you'd better try again before you run away with Nazism claims of genocide without even knowing the facts.
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster

_JS

• View Profile
  • Liked:
They also get a Black Sea port.

Yes, but this is no longer the 16th century and the Tsar's troubled search for a warm-water port. The Russians lease Sevastopol from the Ukrainians.
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:

Ossetians are not Russians. They speak a language close to the Persians. I think you'd better try again before you run away with Nazism claims of genocide without even knowing the facts.

I take nothing back , Putin himself has said he was protecting Russians.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
Russia s Black Sea ports, all of which are located in Krasnodar Krai, have increased
dramatically in importance since the dissolution of the Soviet Union in 1991, when
Russia lost numerous ports and billions of dollars of port revenue to new
neighboring countries. In the Black Sea region alone, Russia inherited just four of
17 Soviet-era ports.
 Competitors in Georgia, Ukraine, and the Baltic countries
divert significant amounts of container and bulk traffic.  To compete for today s
shipping, and to handle the increased traffic expected to flow through the region in
the future, Russia's Black Sea ports require significant investment.  
http://permanent.access.gpo.gov/lps3997/9507novoro.htm

_JS

• View Profile
  • Liked:
No offense Bt, but you sound just like the people who claim that we're in Iraq just for the oil.

What makes your claim any different?
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster

_JS

• View Profile
  • Liked:
I take nothing back , Putin himself has said he was protecting Russians.

So the Russians intentions were purely selfish and evil (genocide as you said) whereas America's intentions when invading sovereign nations is purely benevolent and spreading freedom and democracy?
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster