Author Topic: American Conservatism's Assisted Suicide  (Read 4161 times)

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: American Conservatism's Assisted Suicide
« Reply #30 on: August 31, 2008, 04:06:40 PM »
<<What are the chances McCain is going to pull a William Henry Harrison and croak within a month of being inaugurated? Probably close to zero. McCain is grooming a successor. The chances of her actually having to take the reigns before gaining substantial executive branch exposure and experience are not zero, but they're pretty close to it. The Vice President is highly unlikely to be called upon to perform presidential duties in any substantial manner, and anyone being honest recognizes that. The Vice Presidency has been used as an opportunity to groom successors since at least Teddy Roosevelt.>>

You and McCain must be reading from a different copy of the Constitution than the one I have.  Mine doesn't say anything about the duty of the President to "groom a successor."  This isn't a monarchy we're talking about.  The American people will pick the next President their own unique little way, by voting for him or her, the way they always have.

If it only takes a month to "groom a successor," then all that "experience" that McCain was babbling about earlier doesn't amount to a hill of beans.  You need a lot of experience for this job but you can learn it all in a month?  Huh?  Impressive.  I hope our local surgeons have more than a month's practice behind  them.

The chances of her being handed the reins are not as slim as you think.  You can't get at it statistically, because the U.S. has never elected a 72-year-old President before, let alone a three-time cancer survivor, let alone a three-time cancer survivor with a visible growth on his head, but I don't think they're negligible, and I don't think Americans who cared enough about their own security to make it their number one concern (i.e., McCain voters) are going to be overly pleased about the senile old coot putting their security at risk in a gamble on whatever those odds turn out to be, just to gain an edge over  his opponent in an election.

Religious Dick

• Drunk, drunk, drunk in the gardens and the graves
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: August 31, 2008, 04:20:23 PM »
The chances of her being handed the reins are not as slim as you think.  You can't get at it statistically, because the U.S. has never elected a 72-year-old President before, let alone a three-time cancer survivor, let alone a three-time cancer survivor with a visible growth on his head, but I don't think they're negligible, and I don't think Americans who cared enough about their own security to make it their number one concern (i.e., McCain voters) are going to be overly pleased about the senile old coot putting their security at risk in a gamble on whatever those odds turn out to be, just to gain an edge over  his opponent in an election.

What are the alternatives? Even if he dies the day after his inauguration, his successor will be at least as seasoned as his competitor. If McCain doesn't die, we have the benefit of his experience. If he does, we're no worse off, and arguably better off, than if Hopenchange wins. Given that the person in the best position to gauge McCain's prospects of longevity is McCain himself, I don't think it's an unreasonable gamble.
I speak of civil, social man under law, and no other.
-Sir Edmund Burke

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: August 31, 2008, 06:06:59 PM »
Even if he dies the day after his inauguration, his successor will be at least as seasoned as his competitor. If McCain doesn't die, we have the benefit of his experience. If he does, we're no worse off, and arguably better off, than if Hopenchange wins. Given that the person in the best position to gauge McCain's prospects of longevity is McCain himself, I don't think it's an unreasonable gamble.

Excellent assessment RD.  To think, the GOP veep pretty much is equivent to the Democrat front runner.  Scary, isn't it.  And if we take executive experience alone, she takes 1st prize even over her front runner
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Kramer

• Repeal ObamaCare
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2008, 06:22:04 PM »
Even if he dies the day after his inauguration, his successor will be at least as seasoned as his competitor. If McCain doesn't die, we have the benefit of his experience. If he does, we're no worse off, and arguably better off, than if Hopenchange wins. Given that the person in the best position to gauge McCain's prospects of longevity is McCain himself, I don't think it's an unreasonable gamble.

Excellent assessment RD.  To think, the GOP veep pretty much is equivent to the Democrat front runner.  Scary, isn't it.  And if we take executive experience alone, she takes 1st prize even over her front runner

The women owned a business and has governed for a couple years. Been on commissions, and other boards. On the other hand Obama never ran a company, governed and has been running for POTUS for the entire time he has served in his one term Senate seat.

Is biden supposed to coach Obama on being a president? like biden would know.