Author Topic: Scares me worse than torture  (Read 6995 times)

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Scares me worse than torture
« on: September 22, 2006, 04:54:20 AM »
http://www.neuronetics.com/images/Invent2.jpg

Figure 2
 How TMS Therapy Works
The short pulses of magnetic energy produced by NeuroStar TMS Therapy Systemâ„¢ are aimed by the treating clinician at the structures in the brain thought to control mood. (See Figure 1, Limbic System Structures, many of which are thought to be involved in mood regulation). The left prefrontal cortex (Figure 2) is used to access these structures non-invasively from outside the brain with TMS Therapy. The unique nature of magnetic fields allows them to pass through the skull and into the cortex without being distorted in any way. This facilitates a very focal type of stimulation, minimizing stimulation of brain tissue not involved in mood. 

[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]

Ok this does not hurt , but it is so unfair , imagine haveing the parts of your brain that are enableing you to resist questioning being temporailily shut down.

In the near future , it will become impossible to lie, to keep a secret  or even keep silent when interrogated.

Imagine "Cool hand Luke"
but give the guy in the silver glasses a door into Lukes Skull.

We are getting there , and when we get there we might miss the torture.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060920/sc_nm/science_fear_dc

http://www.cerebromente.org.br/n17/opinion/millenium.html

Yet, despite the accumulation of vast amounts of factual knowledge about the brain (about 10 ,000 papers are presented every year at the Society for Neuroscience meetings) even the most BASIC questions about our minds remain unanswered. What is the will? What is the " self"? Why do I have the sense of a single person who endures through time and space ? What is consciousness? Why do we laugh-make rhythmic head movements and vocalizations in certain situations? Why do we cry ? ( Why the salty liquid flowing down my cheeks?) Why do we dance? What is the meaning of art? Why music? Why do we dream? Why do we even sleep?
But I will venture the prediction that all this will change in the next hundred years. By asking the right kinds of questions and doing the right kinds of experiments we can begin to answer these lofty questions which have until now remained the preoccupation of philosophers.

http://www.cerebromente.org.br/n02/tecnologia/radiocirurg_i.htm

http://www.wiley.com/legacy/products/subject/life/anatomy/anat_hbm.html

One of the newest avenues of research into the mind-body relationship has nothing to do with religious ritual, ethnobotany, or tinkering with brain chemistry. It's about altering the way the brain behaves on the most basic level -- the electrical impulses that constantly stream from neuron to neuron.
http://www.erowid.org/tech/devices_article1.shtml

Transcranial magnetic stimulation is safe and noninvasive means of getting electrical energy across the insulating tissues of the head and into the brain. A powerful and rapidly changing electrical current is passed through a coil of wire applied near the head. The magnetic field, oriented perpendicular to the plane of the coil passes virtually unimpeded through the scalp and skull. In the brain, the magnetic field produces currents in the induced electrical field lying parallel to the plane of the coil.

These currents are able to excite axons lying in the plane of the induced field in a manner roughly analogous to direct cortical stimulation with electrodes.

TMS has been used as a probe of cortical cortical function in clinical and basic neurophysiology and as a means of altering cortical function. There is evidence that some effects of repetitive TMS (rTMS) may be of benefit in brain disorders, for instance, depression.

http://intra.ninds.nih.gov/Research.asp?People_ID=196

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: Scares me worse than torture
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2006, 05:01:55 AM »
Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation
One of the techniques we employ in our lab is transcranial magnetic stimulation (TMS). TMS is delivered by a coil on the surface of the head, which generates a brief put powerful magnetic pulse that induce a temporary current in a small area on the surface of the brain. This current can interfere with processing of the brain with high temporal and fair spatial precision. Our facility includes a stereotactic guidance system for the TMS coil that enables us to visualize the precise site of stimulation in the brain.

Work in our laboratory involves applying TMS to the visual cortex to induce visual losses of function known as scotomas. These scotomas are used to measure the timing and contributions to visual perception of the various visual areas. Furthermore, effects of attention upon these visual deficits are investigated.

http://www.princeton.edu/~napl/images/r_TMS.jpg

http://pni.unibe.ch/TMS.htm
« Last Edit: September 22, 2006, 05:04:55 AM by Plane »

hnumpah

• You have another think coming. Use it.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2006, 08:38:53 AM »
Looks like they're putting an old monitor degaussing wand to the back of someone's head.
"I love WikiLeaks." - Donald Trump, October 2016

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2006, 04:38:47 PM »
I`m not sure this is a good or bad thing
how reliable is it?
the thing about torture is it`s highly inaccurate.
it remineds me of DNA testing.
people may rely on it for the wrong thing.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2006, 07:44:40 PM »
    I see it as a marvelous potential for diagnoseing and treating brain problems .

It can shut down or stimulate a small area targeted by the wand (yes it is constructed a lot like a degaussing wand) , by charting the results of each small areas being stimulated or shocked into quiesence the brain functions can be mapped.

The potential for abuse is disturbing.

The resistance to answering questions might very well be a function of the brain that can be localised mapped and attacked by a properly equiped interrogator , no amount of self controll or bravery would be suficent to safeguard any secret if this actually becomes a developed tecnique.

On the upside it doesn't hurt at all so no proabition against torture will be transgressed.

Going further into speculation , the will to resist , the resistance to suggestion and the resolve to maintain integrety might be functions of the brain that could be found , mapped and shut down , these new tools could be combined with the already existing tecniques of psycoactive drugs and hypnotism to reprogram and reshape a person in new and novel ways. Perhaps a good thing if it is used responsibly to reduce the effect of  nuroses but could it actually be used to create a scientific Zombe ?

Createing a suicide bomber requiers our opponents years of preparation on their subjects , and the best of their most comitted are lost in the process.Perhaps we could acheve the same result in days on people we really considered disposeable ,and instead of sending them to Guantanimo we could set them loose with what amounts to a programming virus installed.

I don't consider the ethical strength of the Human Race to be quite ready for what is comeing down the tracks .

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2006, 09:00:21 PM »
      I don't consider the ethical strength of the Human Race to be quite ready for what is comeing down the tracks .

That`s the very problem with nuclear technology in a nutshell.

larry

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2006, 09:21:28 PM »

I agree and that is the problem. Fanatic leadership is the choice of fanatic people. They love images, idols, gods, stars and icons. The human race are societies of indoctrination. Ethical strength, is open to interpretation.

I would like to see Bush, Cheney and Rumsfeld subjected to the torture techniques, that they say are legal. We might get the truth for once from those guys.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2006, 11:28:19 PM »

I agree and that is the problem. Fanatic leadership is the choice of fanatic people. They love images, idols, gods, stars and icons. The human race are societies of indoctrination. Ethical strength, is open to interpretation.

I would like to see Bush, Cheney and Rumsfeld subjected to the torture techniques, that they say are legal. We might get the truth for once from those guys.

It is possible that we are less than ten years from the introduction of a truth machine that can force a person to speak the truth no matter whether he wants to or not.

Would you like to see all canadates questioned under the influence of such a device?

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2006, 11:29:35 PM »
By the Way ,

Could we possibly prevent Kathkung from seeing these articles here?

larry

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2006, 09:16:10 PM »
It is possible that we are less than ten years from the introduction of a truth machine that can force a person to speak the truth no matter whether he wants to or not.

Would you like to see all canadates questioned under the influence of such a device?

If they legalize the use of such a device, yes they must be subject to the laws they create.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2006, 10:36:39 PM »
You don't get it, plane.  The next generation of that device, they apply it for 15 seconds on your head and you wind up thinking and talking like a LIBERAL for the rest of your life.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2006, 11:47:30 PM »
You don't get it, plane.  The next generation of that device, they apply it for 15 seconds on your head and you wind up thinking and talking like a LIBERAL for the rest of your life.

No , it does not kill brain cells.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2006, 11:57:17 PM »
<<No , it does not kill brain cells.>>

Well, that's good news for conservatives, because they don't have too many to spare.

Mucho

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2006, 06:49:46 PM »
Anything that would cause a Repub to say  the truth would have to scare them more than torture or anything for that matter.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2006, 07:23:06 PM »
  Well it scares me , because someday the state will be irrisistable.

What sort of state could be invunerable and uncorrupted very long?