Author Topic: Dan Rather Still Defends Tainted Report  (Read 2422 times)

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Dan Rather Still Defends Tainted Report
« on: November 09, 2006, 08:17:43 AM »
Nov 7, 10:11 PM (ET)

By MIKE BAKER

RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) - Former CBS anchor Dan Rather once again defended his discredited "60 Minutes Wednesday" report about President Bush's military service, insisting the story was accurate.

Rather narrated the September 2004 report, which alleged that President Bush skirted some of his duties during his National Guard service and that a commander felt pressured to sugarcoat Bush's record.

"The story was true," Rather, 75, told radio station WPTF-AM on Tuesday. "We were vulnerable on taking responsibility for it."

An independent CBS review determined the story was neither fair nor accurate. CBS fired three news executives and a producer for airing it, and Rather was forced out of the anchor chair he had occupied for 24 years.

"CBS News stands by the report the independent panel issued on this matter and to this day, no one has been able to authenticate the documents in question," CBS spokesman Kevin Tedesco said Tuesday in a statement to The Associated Press.

The story relied on four documents, allegedly written by Bush's commander in the Texas Air National Guard, the late Lt. Col. Jerry Killian. Critics questioned the documents' authenticity and suggested they were forged.

"I believed it to be true or I wouldn't have put it on the air," Rather said. "There's nothing wrong with asking the tough questions of the people in power, which is what we attempted to do."

Pressed further on the authenticity of the report, Rather lashed out at radio host Donna Martinez, saying she had a political agenda.

Rather stepped down as "CBS Evening News" anchor in March 2005, and the network cut all ties to him in June. He is scheduled to produce and host a weekly news program beginning Nov. 14 on HDNet, a small network aimed at owners of high-definition televisions.

Article
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: Dan Rather Still Defends Tainted Report
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2006, 11:24:50 AM »
"I believed it to be true or I wouldn't have put it on the air," Rather said....Pressed further on the authenticity of the report, Rather lashed out at radio host Donna Martinez, saying she had a political agenda.

SOP
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

yellow_crane

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2006, 09:33:52 PM »
CBS News and how to rebound in journalism, or Katie for Dan.

What I see is old style journalism within CBS meeting an uprising from a more "entertaining"-based format via younger, more glib, always-striving-to-be-entertaining graduates--the new generation of journalist.  They, of course, and their corporate sponsors, who want to start all potential sales with a consumer not in bad spirits (informed.)

It is still going on at CBS, and you can read it in pundits' asides.

Proof of some success of the new, less left cadre is Katie Couric, who now has CBS News lower than when she went in.

Katic is well aware of the applause draught, and you can read it in her smiling-over-desparate look daily.  She seems near weeping from consumer insult and it is hard to watch.

The other day, determined to change the critics (the critics is this case are the viewers, responding to commissioned queries), Katie held a candle-lit interview, positioned herself as usual with her special contortive relaxed sit-lay that looks like somebody who is over-acting a demonstrtion to a class on how to be dramatically relaxed on a story, and as usual, the cut of the skirt--as with almost all the current newsie vamps--had that vague promise that if she slid a little that way suddenly, innocently, you could see half way up her ass.  (Nobody, though, quite matches venus fly trap Coulter in the genre.)

There was no overt schitk attention to anything else, though, other than the story at hand.  As you can probably guess, this was handled with all the shssss-quiet ambiance of an Oprah-style emotion munch fest, or, depending on your particular gut, a festive unscabbing. 

Quiet on the set!  We are going to  . . . accomplish . . . a news story.

Katie's method is to focus on the real significance of the news--the salient, philosophic truth in news to her is not how the story affects us so much as how much it moves her.

Eric Severeid once told a journalism class that sometimes you have to educate briefly first, in order to accomplish your story.

She seems to be teaching us, via her meaningful glare apparatus, promising us that the core significance of any future news story will always be calibrated to her tonal warble.  Her hair-trigger impatience body read will geiger her approval/disapproval relays, helping the viewer with stance clarifications.

Well,  there Katie was, using the story itself as a lead-in to display her personal reaction to the story itself, her wrestling ballsily with mother base tragedy, and  dramatically accomplished by way of sofening and drooping mouse mug and the salient, time-proven, undeniably effective cracking and warbling vocal tonations.

All this on the 30 minutes of CBS nightly news.

I myself prefer to be informed over being fondled.

Those who have the baton have the responsibility of just who they pass the baton to.

Lanya

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2006, 10:20:15 PM »
I prefer Uncle Walter.  And I remember how cool I thought Huntley and Brinkley were. 

And Bob and Ray....
Planned Parenthood is America’s most trusted provider of reproductive health care.

Mucho

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2006, 01:18:41 AM »
I prefer Uncle Walter.  And I remember how cool I thought Huntley and Brinkley were. 

And Bob and Ray....

You are dating yourself my little Buckeye.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2006, 01:25:50 AM »
Yellow,

I don't agree with much you have to say, but i sure enjoy the way you say it.

Welcome back.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2006, 01:34:13 AM »
Yellow,

I don't agree with much you have to say, but i sure enjoy the way you say it.

Welcome back.

I agree, welcome YC
a grand talent
aimed left of target.