Author Topic: I don't want this again  (Read 1574 times)

Lanya

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Planned Parenthood is America’s most trusted provider of reproductive health care.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: I don't want this again
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2008, 09:11:57 PM »
Umm, with all due respect Lanya, who wants abortions performed by coathangers??  Is this another Republicans want women to die of cancer, accusation again?
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Kramer

• Repeal ObamaCare
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2008, 09:12:51 PM »
You need to get into the 21st Century

With Obama This is What You Get

Late Term Abortion – The procedures
There are three general procedures of late-term abortions and partial birth abortions. The first and most popular is called D&E (Dilation and evacuation). Once the cervix is dilated, the fetus is removed by inserting forceps into the uterus. The Fetus is then separated into pieces. These “pieces” of your baby will be removed one at a time. Vacuum aspiration is then used to ensure no tissue remains in the uterus.

The second procedure is early induction of labor. This is very painful and intense for the woman and is rarely used as an abortion procedure.

The third procedure is called Intact D&X surgery. This procedure includes a 2-3 day process to gradually dilate the cervix using sticks of seaweed which absorb fluid and swell. Once this process is finished, the doctor uses forceps and grasps the baby’s leg to turn it to breech position. The baby is then pulled out of the birth canal, leaving the head inside the canal. An incision is then made at the base of the baby’s skull and the brain tissue is removed, causing the skull to collapse. The entire baby is then removed.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2008, 09:25:04 PM »
If the government bans abortions or makes them excessively hard to get, then women will resort to whatever means are available, and that involves coathangers and such.

You can make abortions illegal. You cannot make them impossible. The government cannot arrest all women going out of the country or the state for an abortion, nor can it arrest all the backroom abortionists.

Abortions were strictly illegal in Missouri when I worked in Breipohl's Drugstore in the late 1950's, delivering prescriptions.
And yet every Friday, we delivered ether and other supplies to Dr Hendren's office up the street. Hendren owned half the drugstore and rather than have to repair the messes made by local coathanger abortionists, performed them each and every Friday night for twenty years or more. The Public Hospital is now named after him.

Clowns like Palin would want Dr Hendren thrown in jail. I imagine that McCain would do the same, as would Scalia, Alito and Thomas.

"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Kramer

• Repeal ObamaCare
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2008, 09:29:13 PM »
If the government bans abortions or makes them excessively hard to get, then women will resort to whatever means are available, and that involves coathangers and such.

You can make abortions illegal. You cannot make them impossible. The government cannot arrest all women going out of the country or the state for an abortion, nor can it arrest all the backroom abortionists.

Abortions were strictly illegal in Missouri when I worked in Breipohl's Drugstore in the late 1950's, delivering prescriptions.
And yet every Friday, we delivered ether and other supplies to Dr Hendren's office up the street. Hendren owned half the drugstore and rather than have to repair the messes made by local coathanger abortionists, performed them each and every Friday night for twenty years or more. The Public Hospital is now named after him.

Clowns like Palin would want Dr Hendren thrown in jail. I imagine that McCain would do the same, as would Scalia, Alito and Thomas.

Like gun laws we should require a permit to own a coathanger.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2008, 09:29:46 PM »
No....if the FED reverses RvW, then the matter simply goes to the states, Xo.  No one is "banning abortions".  If McCain/Palin happen to win the Presidency, there will ne no "banning abortions", it's not within their power.  And while a Dem Senate in in charge, a conservative minded Judicial nominee will never see the light of a vote, regardless of how qualified they are

Intellectual honesty, please
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2008, 09:38:30 PM »

No....if the FED reverses RvW, then the matter simply goes to the states, Xo.  No one is "banning abortions".  If McCain/Palin happen to win the Presidency, there will ne no "banning abortions", it's not within their power.

================
If McCain appoints another Scalia, Alito or Thomas to the SC, they coud well overturn Roe v. Wade, and then at least some states would be free to pass laws under which doctors like Hendren were arrested and their medical licenses would be taken away. Other doctors would be terrorized into not performing abortions.

Obama would NOT appoint such judges, and women would continue to have control over their own bodies, which is as it should be.

Do not tell me that we should elect these clowns because they would be powerless to prevent abortions, because that is untrue.

You can show all the grisly photos of fetuses and vacuum cleaners you wish, but ti is still none of anyone's business whether a woman bears a child but the woman's alone. You can show photos of what steak knives can do as well, but that is no reason to ban steak knives.

This is a basic human freedom. And no, fetuses do not enjoy such a freedom becaue they are not human until they are born.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2008, 09:47:02 PM »
No....if the FED reverses RvW, then the matter simply goes to the states, Xo.  No one is "banning abortions".  If McCain/Palin happen to win the Presidency, there will ne no "banning abortions", it's not within their power.
================

If McCain appoints another Scalia, Alito or Thomas to the SC, they coud well overturn Roe v. Wade, and ....

....and then it's up to the individual states, most of them had already passed legislation allowing for various forms of abortion.  And if the voters don't like what the states do, then can elect those that will do what they want.  This is democracy 101, where people, NOT the Government provide the direction the country goes, or in this case, where their particular state goes.  And there's not even a guarantee that RvW would even be brought up.  And you REALLY don't want to go the "basic human freedom" route, while you twist and contort what it means to be human.

Bottom line, McCain can't ban abortions,  SCOTUS wouldn't be banning abortions, even if they did overturn RvW.  And currently there's no shot in hell a Conservative judicial nominee will make it to a floor vote.  So pretty much the rest of your entire arguement, is largely moot

« Last Edit: September 08, 2008, 09:49:45 PM by sirs »

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2008, 09:58:20 PM »

This is a basic human freedom. And no, fetuses do not enjoy such a freedom becaue they are not human until they are born.

Should this be a statement or a question?

Where is science when you need it?

Cynthia

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2008, 10:00:01 PM »

I suppose one could argue the other side. Young teens are using abortion as birth control. The other extreme of coat hanger. Either way we aren't doing anyone any good.

We need to educate and teach prevention----more so than ever.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2008, 10:01:56 PM »
Abortions were strictly illegal in Missouri when I worked in Breipohl's Drugstore in the late 1950's, delivering prescriptions.And yet every Friday, we delivered ether and other supplies to Dr Hendren's office up the street. Hendren owned half the drugstore and rather than have to repair the messes made by local coathanger abortionists, performed them each and every Friday night for twenty years or more. The Public Hospital is now named after him.

Thanks for an honest snapshot pre-wade. It coincides with my memories also. There was a rolodex in every fraternity and sorority on campus with the name, number and address of a sympathetic doctor willing to do a d&c. The going rate was around $300 bucks.

It was as easy to find a reputable doctor as it was to find an honest pot dealer.