Author Topic: I don't remember - did Pelosi say anything about  (Read 4458 times)

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
I don't remember - did Pelosi say anything about
« on: November 08, 2006, 02:47:37 PM »
extending AMT relief? It's due to expire.

'Course it would be better to see it really fixed - tie it to cost of living increases. Don't know if the Dems have the stones to do that, though. It gives them an easy "raise taxes by doing nothing."
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

terra

Re: I don't remember - did Pelosi say anything about
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2006, 02:52:38 PM »
extending AMT relief? It's due to expire.

'Course it would be better to see it really fixed - tie it to cost of living increases. Don't know if the Dems have the stones to do that, though. It gives them an easy "raise taxes by doing nothing."

Well they do not come into offic until January. The Repubs have not done anything about it...but you holler about Pelosi, who is not yet the Speaker.
Tell your party to do something while they are still in office.
OHH it just came over the air...Tester won out of Montana. That puts us 50 to 49 for senate. Now for  the Virginia race.

terra

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2006, 02:56:27 PM »
Well they do not come into offic until January. The Repubs have not done anything about it...

So, you're claiming the Dems were in charge when the last AMT Relief Extension passed in 2005?

but you holler about Pelosi, who is not yet the Speaker.

Who's hollering? I just asked a question about her position on an issue. Are we not allowed to ask about a Democrat's position on a policy issue?
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

terra

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2006, 03:02:20 PM »
Well they do not come into offic until January. The Repubs have not done anything about it...

So, you're claiming the Dems were in charge when the last AMT Relief Extension passed in 2005?

but you holler about Pelosi, who is not yet the Speaker.

Who's hollering? I just asked a question about her position on an issue. Are we not allowed to ask about a Democrat's position on a policy issue?

Why not let Bush and Pelosi pick out her drapes for her office first?

terra

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2006, 03:10:41 PM »
Why not let Bush and Pelosi pick out her drapes for her office first?

Dems don't like to answer questions about policy issues until they've done the office redecorating? Is that their official order of business? Personal stuff before legislative business?

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2006, 03:12:12 PM »
You know Terra, it's perfectly alright to say "Pelosi has not said anything about AMT Relief yet."

terra

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2006, 03:21:27 PM »
You know Terra, it's perfectly alright to say "Pelosi has not said anything about AMT Relief yet."

In fact she did..but in a list of other things. I mean it's hard work being the First Female Speaker..After a  congress like the one we just had...one that worked two days a week and took long vacations.  One that would rather worry about flag burning then  the AMT. They would rather pass a band on Gay marriage then raise the minimum wage.

Gosh this is exciting!! all the work that will be done!

terra

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2006, 03:31:01 PM »
In fact she did..but in a list of other things.

And she said...?

One that would rather worry about flag burning then  the AMT.

Funny thing about that. AMT relief extension got passed in 2005 and flag burning did not.

Guess they didn't have to work as hard on it?

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2006, 03:34:35 PM »

Starting with the drapes, huh?

;-)

Universe Prince

• Of course liberty isn't safe; but it is good.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2006, 03:35:58 PM »

..After a  congress like the one we just had...one that worked two days a week and took long vacations. 

Someone remind me, why is that a bad thing?

Actually, I'm hoping for serious gridlock and political obstructionism.
Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever.
--Hieronymus Karl Frederick Baron von Munchausen ("The Adventures of Baron Munchausen" [1988])--

_JS

• Salaires legers. Chars lourds.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2006, 03:37:53 PM »
I have no idea Ami.

Are you in the bracket to pay AMT?
I smell something burning, hope it's just my brains.
They're only dropping peppermints and daisy-chains
   So stuff my nose with garlic
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster
   Tell me lies about Vietnam.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2006, 03:42:16 PM »
I have no idea Ami.

Are you in the bracket to pay AMT?

I may be, I was close in 2004. But more than that, Pelosi has said that she doesn't want to raise taxes on the middle class, yet not extending AMT Relief or tying it to cost of living is a backdoor tax on the middle class.

_JS

• Salaires legers. Chars lourds.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2006, 04:01:21 PM »
Perhaps this is something where both parties can work towards an amicable solution. There are wedge effects of the AMT that make it a poor solution in and of itself, but perhaps indexing to inflation or allowing dependent exemptions would be a common ground solution.

The problem of course will be lost government revenue when the deficit is already high and I don't expect the tabs for the Bush administration to get any lower by the 2008 election.
I smell something burning, hope it's just my brains.
They're only dropping peppermints and daisy-chains
   So stuff my nose with garlic
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster
   Tell me lies about Vietnam.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2006, 04:16:53 PM »
The problem of course will be lost government revenue when the deficit is already high and I don't expect the tabs for the Bush administration to get any lower by the 2008 election.

That's one of the reasons why I was trying to get an answer. There does not appear to be one forthcoming, however.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2006, 04:45:53 PM »
..After a  congress like the one we just had...one that worked two days a week and took long vacations.  

Someone remind me, why is that a bad thing?....Actually, I'm hoping for serious gridlock and political obstructionism.

Do you think it plausibe that the GOP, in the time we still have left, would craft Gingrich-like legislation of a pay-as-you-go bill.  For whatever expenditures beyond what's currently budgeted for, that congress be required to offset that spending somewhere else? 

Beyond the obvious political posturing that all politicians get, when they can go back to their consituencies and claim "see, what I brought you, courtesy of the Country's tax payers?", I really wished that the conservatives of the GOP would have stuck to their limited Government principals.  But perhaps, they'll leave that for the Dems, so that they can be the ones to repeal it it and usher in gobs load more deficit spending
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle