Author Topic: Palin Interview  (Read 3154 times)

hnumpah

• You have another think coming. Use it.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Palin Interview
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2008, 01:01:30 PM »
Our leftist friends hate her and thought she did poorly.

And they're usually so nonpartisan.

Lessee, if you think I'm a leftist, you're mistaken. I'm a registered Republican, have been for years, even though the party itself has strayed too far from it's original prinicples for my liking.

And I don't hate her, nor do I hate John McCain, though I don't feel either should be elected to the offices they are running for. As for Palin, I don't trust anyone who says the war in Iraq, or any war for that matter, is 'a task from God'. I'm a student of history, and there are too many instances down through the ages where that excuse has been used to start wars.

And I haven't seen any nonpartisan leftists in here. Nor right wingers, for that matter.
"I love WikiLeaks." - Donald Trump, October 2016

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2008, 01:41:20 PM »
==========================================
I thought she did well as governor of Alaska. She is good at rooting out Republican corruption.

I don't hate her, I favor her staying in Alaska.

Serving as president would be way out of her area of expertise.
I suppose she would make a more popular VP than Dick Cheney.

He is easy to hate. He is pretty much utterly hateful.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2008, 01:58:38 PM »
I don't trust anyone who says the war in Iraq, or any war for that matter, is 'a task from God'.

Except that was not what she said. What she actually said was she hoped it was part of God's plan.

« Last Edit: September 12, 2008, 03:44:33 PM by BT »

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2008, 02:10:36 PM »
<<Accept that was not what she said. What she actually said was she hoped it was part of God's plan. >>

Yeah.  I hope my winning Lotto 6-49 this weekend is part of God's plan too.  So basically she doesn't even want to lay her faith on the line, she'll just weasel around on that too.  How come such a religious person after all these years still hasn't gotten the word whether it's God's plan or not?  She knew right away that the life of Bristol's baby was part of God's plan, why is it so hard to figure out whether the lives of 4000 U.S. troops was a part of the plan or not?  She's had five years now to figure it all out or receive a message.

Also what's she gonna do if she finds out it's NOT God's plan?

This stuff is such utter bullshit it's impossible to deal with rationally.  Why doesn't she just come out and say the war is a good thing or the war is a bad thing?  You really want a leader who's a moral imbecile and takes five years and still counting to figure out if a particular war is good or bad?

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2008, 02:26:21 PM »
 ::)
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

hnumpah

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2008, 02:40:11 PM »
I'm guessing you meant except?

Palin asked the students to pray for the troops in Iraq, and noted that her eldest son, Track, was expected to be deployed there.

"Our national leaders are sending them out on a task that is from God," she said.

Declarative sentence, doesn't leave much doubt. Said that right before she said 'she hoped it was part of God's plan'.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2008, 03:35:01 PM »
Said that right before she said 'she hoped it was part of God's plan'.

So wouldn't that be the qualifier to the declarative?

Kind of like being against abortion except in the cases of health of the mother, rape or incest?

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2008, 03:37:42 PM »
==========================================
I thought she did well as governor of Alaska. She is good at rooting out Republican corruption.

I don't hate her, I favor her staying in Alaska.

Serving as president would be way out of her area of expertise.
I suppose she would make a more popular VP than Dick Cheney.

He is easy to hate. He is pretty much utterly hateful.

I hate to admit this , but if she wants to root out some corruption she can probly find some in Washington.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2008, 03:39:00 PM »
Said that right before she said 'she hoped it was part of God's plan'.

So wouldn't that be the qualifier to the declarative?  Kind of like being against abortion except in the cases of health of the mother, rape or incest?

Qualifiers aren't allowed in debate Bt.  Didn't you get the memo?  When someone declares that a person said and meant X, then that's it.  Any qualifiers are to be dismissed.  For some even, if you add the qualifier, they falsely brand you a liar, and .... then that's it
« Last Edit: September 12, 2008, 05:38:04 PM by sirs »
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2008, 03:46:20 PM »
Bear has been kind enough to provide me with grammar lessons. I just thought i would seek clarification.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2008, 03:56:54 PM »
Here were some of the Daily Kos blog comments on Palin's performance:

http://www.dailykos.com/

Some blog comments on Palin’s interview with Charlie Gibson
I thought Gibson was remarkably poised for not laughing in her face.
"In what respect?" That's not even a valid delaying question. There's no other "respect" in which the question can be cast! Do you agree with the doctrine or not?  [Palin's response to the question of whether she agreed with the Bush Doctrine was "in what respect?"]
You can't parse that question. You can shade your answer, but you can't parse the question. Gibson was nearly struck dumb by how easily and quickly she revealed her total ignorance.
Last week she didn't know what the VP did all day. This week, she doesn't know what the President has been doing for eight years.
"In what respect, Charlie?"
I haven't seen a newscaster so dumbfounded by a question since "What's the frequency, Kenneth?"
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Bottom Line on Palin's Readiness: MASSIVE FAIL
by Kagro X
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Although it feels good to go after Palin, we should probably be focusing on old man mcCane. That's who Obama is running against.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This speaks volumes about his judgement and his commitment to winning vs commitment to his country.
by logsol on Fri Sep 12, 2008 at 08:56:29 AM PDT
-----------------------------------------------------------------

The Fundy’s must have all gotten hard-ons last night.  War with Russia = the end of the world.  Yeah!!!!!!!
by GreatDane on Fri Sep 12, 2008 at 08:59:31 AM PDT

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And every chickenhawk wingnut fantasized that he would repopulate the planet with Sarah.
"It's not getting any smarter out there. You have to come to terms with stupidity, and make it work for you." (Frank Zappa)
by cinnamondog on Fri Sep 12, 2008 at 09:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Palin's lack of qualifications underscores McCain's lack of judgement. They go hand in hand.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2008, 04:59:35 PM »
I guess it is a good thing Palin doesn't have to be ready from day 1.

Obama on the other hand, according to Hillary, is nowhere near ready from day 1.

Pretty sure his VP selection said the same thing.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2008, 05:05:27 PM »
<<Obama on the other hand, according to Hillary, is nowhere near ready from day 1.>>

LOL.  When did you guys ever believe anything Hilary said?

According to McCain, he had decades of experience for the job and Obama didn't, a distinction which utterly disqualified Obama from even being considered for the job.  Suddenly, it appears that decades of experience can't be all that important, when a 72-year-old cancer survivor picks Palin to succeed him on a heartbeat's notice.  Somewhere between his talk and his action there's a "cognitive dissonance."

hnumpah

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2008, 05:36:46 PM »
The full quote, as provided by the AP http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080903/ap_on_el_pr/cvn_palin_iraq_war

"Our national leaders are sending them out on a task that is from God," she said. "That's what we have to make sure that we're praying for, that there is a plan and that plan is God's plan."

She is not qualifying her initial claim that it is a task from God. That sentence stands alone as a declarative statement. If she had said 'We pray that our national leaders are sending them out on a task that is from God', she might have been able to slide that one by. She didn't. She made a statement, and either stands by it, or she doesn't.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2008, 05:38:59 PM »
I guess it is a good thing Palin doesn't have to be ready from day 1.  Obama on the other hand, according to Hillary, is nowhere near ready from day 1.  Pretty sure his VP selection said the same thing.

LOL.....ouch