Author Topic: Your Brother Is a Blessing: The power of Trig.  (Read 730 times)

richpo64

Your Brother Is a Blessing: The power of Trig.
« on: September 14, 2008, 08:12:53 PM »
September 12, 2008, 0:00 p.m.

Your Brother Is a Blessing
The power of Trig.

By Michael G. Franc

‘Children with special needs,” Gov. Sarah Palin said during her acceptance speech at the Republican convention, “inspire a special love.” As someone who grew up alongside a brother with Down Syndrome, I can attest to that observation.

But these special children, and the special adults they grow up to be, inspire something else of equal importance. When these little, unexpected ambassadors of God enter our lives, they offer us the opportunity to rise to that greatest of all challenges — to treat others as we would want to be treated. Their presence, in short, elevates all of us.

So, from the perspective of a brother of one of these children, allow me to offer Track, Bristol, Willow, and Piper some unsolicited advice: You are most likely still trying to understand how your lives have changed now that you have a brother who will, in one way or another, always depend on you. He will require loads of attention, an unlimited supply of patience, and love — the sort of love, it is worth noting, that one usually never bestows on a sibling! It is the sort of relationship that, in time, will more closely resemble the bond between a parent and child than between two siblings.

Chances are, you don’t know other families with a Down’s child at home. Your friends and neighbors most likely won’t be able to offer first-hand advice on handling the challenges ahead. Trig may provoke stares from those you pass on the street, or the occasional hurtful comment from someone who just doesn’t understand. Caring for him may drain you of the energy you would prefer to devote to other pursuits.

In short, Trig sets you apart as well. Much will be required from you in the years ahead. But, if my experience is any guide, you will be immeasurably better off with Trig in your lives. And, unbeknownst to you, others will watch how you treat Trig and will quietly benefit from the good examples you undoubtedly will set.

Allow me to explain.

It wasn’t until my brother John lost his battle with cancer ten years ago that I truly appreciated how much he influenced those around him. A dear friend from my elementary and high-school days expressed it most eloquently. “You and your parents” he wrote in one of the many moving letters I received after his passing, “were just doing what came naturally, I guess, all those loving years with John, so you might not have realized the collateral effect.”

What was that collateral effect?

“The people who knew the Francs counted themselves very lucky, indeed, that you made John part of our lives [emphasis added]. Particularly in high school, to have John around Loyola High School or basketball games and other events took some of the high-spirited aggression of teenage boys and turned it around. Given what we now know about teenagers (as parents), that was at least a small miracle. So thanks to him, and to you, for opening up a better side in many of your cohorts.”

I came to realize that this was the theme of John’s life and, if the Lord indeed works in mysterious ways, this is the reason John entered my life and the lives of those around me. He made us better people, bringing forth “the better angels of our nature.” Indeed, “a little angel” is how my teary-eyed mother described Trig upon seeing him on the stage at St. Paul.

And it’s undoubtedly why the Lord has entrusted Trig to you and your family.

Our tight-knit neighborhood near the Lower East Side of Manhattan, known as Stuyvesant Town, is one of those park-like housing developments built after World War II that eschews a regular urban street grid for numerous playgrounds, benches, lawns, shade trees, and other amenities one normally doesn’t find in Manhattan. John took full advantage of this layout, plopping himself down on one of those benches and allowing his naturally outgoing and friendly personally to touch his neighbors. Normally grouchy personalities softened, smiles replaced perpetual frowns, and harried New Yorkers somehow found the time to pause and ask how he was doing — even those who really didn’t know who he was. Far better known than I, he could have been elected Mayor of Stuyvesant Town; to many, I was simply “John’s brother.”

As Trig grows up, be sure to integrate him into your lives. Make sure he attends your sporting events, accompanies you to the school play or high-school dance, or spends a weekend with you when you leave home to attend college. Take him to movies and to all your favorite restaurants. Let him tear open the wrapping paper on all your birthday and Christmas presents. Don’t hesitate to hold his hand in public when you walk down Main Street, even (especially) after he reaches adulthood. Be honored to be known simply as Trig’s brother or sister.

Another friend, this one a college chum, recalled one of the times John spent a weekend at our campus. My roommates and I hosted a rather boisterous party with plenty of loud music and dancing. With great ease, John coaxed every woman onto the dance floor. He was the life of the party. Two decades later she observed how he coaxed something special out of her that night: “There was something about being there with him that night that reminded me what play was all about and that sometimes it’s awfully fun to be a little bit childish and naughty.”

May Trig bring out the child and the better angels in all of us. Congratulations, and God bless.

http://article.nationalreview.com/?q=MWNiNmQyNDdhMTFhMjJkMThkOWQ0MmEzODA4NjY5ZjA=

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Your Brother Is a Blessing: The power of Trig.
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2008, 02:18:12 AM »
That was sweet.

I wonder about the Secret service.

These guys are an elite chosen for intelligence , competence , athleticism.

Will guarding the young child have a salutatory effect on these secret soldiers?

Knutey

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2008, 01:16:04 PM »
That was sweet.

I wonder about the Secret service.

These guys are an elite chosen for intelligence , competence , athleticism.

Will guarding the young child have a salutatory effect on these secret soldiers?

It was saccharine sweet . All taste , no substance with a bitter aftertaste. Send your sons to die for yo momma being Pres.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2008, 04:00:53 PM »
<<It was saccharine sweet . All taste , no substance with a bitter aftertaste. Send your sons to die for yo momma being Pres.>>

The saccharine sweetness is the trademark of the Far Right.  They pick a topic which no one can really contest, and get in there first to post a whole bunch of platitudes about it.  As if they had a monopoly on love, caring, family and togetherness.  As if they fucking INVENTED mother love.

In fact, every policy they favour is AGAINST all of those values - - hold down minimum wages so parents have to work two shifts to make ends meet, deny equal pay initiatives, effectively condemning single moms to spend less and less time with kids and consistently underfund intitiatives to integrate special needs kids into regular schools because of cost considerations.

richpo64

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2008, 05:12:53 PM »
>>The saccharine sweetness is the trademark of the Far Right.<<

Leaving an unsuccessfully aborted human being in the trash to die is a trademark of the far left.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2008, 05:26:50 PM »
<<Leaving an unsuccessfully aborted human being in the trash to die is a trademark of the far left.>>

Probably happens once in a million abortions.  Condemning millions of kids to struggle though a lifetime of abuse, neglect, poor housing and poor education is the trademark of the "conservative" movement.  Cutting back on any initiatives that would put more money in their parents' pockets at the expense of the super-rich is another one.  Phony hypocritical "love" of "family" and "family values" is another one.  Burning them alive in napalm and WP is another one.  Being first to express hypocritical concern over the ludicrous examples of aborted fetuses dying in trash cans is the last and final idiocy of these hypocritical fake "humanitarians."

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2008, 05:46:08 PM »
Hiroshima
Nagasaki
Dresden

Dem

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2008, 05:53:45 PM »
Yes, a Democrat happened to be in the White House when the A-bomb was dropped on Japan.  Not that I recall any Republican protest.

The Allied troops whose lives were saved by those bombings were Democrats, Republicans, Liberals, Labour, Conservative, Communist and KMT, but I didn't notice any protests from any of them.  It kind of crossed all party lines - - this wasn't a Democratic bomb or a Republican bomb.

I still stand by my earlier statments - - <<Condemning millions of kids to struggle though a lifetime of abuse, neglect, poor housing and poor education is the trademark of the "conservative" movement.  Cutting back on any initiatives that would put more money in their parents' pockets at the expense of the super-rich is another one.  Phony hypocritical "love" of "family" and "family values" is another one.>>

<<  Burning them alive in napalm and WP is another one.>>
That's an equal-credit thing.  Thank LBJ and thank Nixon.  But in general, it was the conservatives vs the liberals on that - - some of the foreign policy conservatives were domestic policy liberals, which kind of confuses things.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2008, 05:57:03 PM »
The Allied troops whose lives were saved by those bombings were Democrats, Republicans, Liberals, Labour, Conservative, Communist and KMT, but I didn't notice any protests from any of them.  It kind of crossed all party lines - - this wasn't a Democratic bomb or a Republican bomb.

Americans weren't being killed in Nam?
55,000 of them might disagree.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2008, 07:06:42 PM »
I'm gonna take back some of what I wrote in this thread -- it was short-sighted and stupid to place the contrasts on a Republican-Democrat line.  It's really a liberal-conservative line. 

The liberals are consistently for the real pro-family initiatives - - taxing the rich and slashing the military budget to pay for health, education and housing to benefit the disadvantaged victims of racism, sexism, slavery, genocide and the capitalist system, increasing minimum wage, equal pay for equal work, etc.  The liberals are also against war on Third World countries, massacre of civilians, torture of prisoners, etc.

I lost sight of the fact that the Democrats are the ones who got the U.S. embroiled in Korea and then the Dominican Republic and then Viet Nam.  This was not the Adlai Stevenson-Eleanor Roosevelt wing of the Democratic Party but the more conservative wing.