Author Topic: You RW nutcakes will love this  (Read 4823 times)

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: You RW nutcakes will love this
« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2008, 01:28:57 AM »
Well, at least you're consistent. 
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

hnumpah

• You have another think coming. Use it.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2008, 01:29:09 AM »
BTW, you might recall Obama repudiated the Rev. Wright and his teachings.

Has Palin done the same?
"I love WikiLeaks." - Donald Trump, October 2016

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2008, 01:42:21 AM »
BTW, you might recall Obama repudiated the Rev. Wright and his teachings.

When it became politically in his best interest to do so........20years later.  Doesn't say much for the man, I'm afraid

Has Palin done the same?

Depends on what you want her to repudiate.  At this point you have Xo implying she's lock stock 100% in accordance with said teachings on a wall....minus of course the proof of either the support or the church practicing said teaching at the behest of its preacher
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #33 on: September 17, 2008, 02:09:06 AM »
Has Palin done the same?

Why should she?

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: September 17, 2008, 06:34:12 AM »
 Sarah Palin's Faith, and Mine--Stuntz

I didn't like Mike Huckabee's campaign in the Republican primaries, because Huckabee argued, sometimes explicitly, that Christian voters should support him because he's a Christian.  I wouldn't have voted for him anyway, but that sealed the point for me.  I won't vote for any candidate because of that candidate's faith, or lack thereof.  Often, I don't know anything (and don't try to find out) about the religious convictions of the candidates I support.  I'm sure I've voted for candidates with a wide range of religious commitments, including some--probably a lot--with no more than nominal religious affiliations, or none at all.

Though you won't read it in the New York Times, I'm pretty sure that most of my fellow Christians follow a similar practice.  We vote for and against candidates' political programs, not for and against their religious practice.  That is as it should be in a society as religiously diverse as ours is.

But there's a flip side to that proposition.  While my faith should never be treated like a job qualification in a political campaign, neither should its absence.

So far, in the press coverage of Sarah Palin, I've seen Palin mocked because (1) she prays and evidently believes that prayer matters, (2) she believes in a God who is actively engaged in this world's affairs, and (3) she wants to be the person God made her to be in the circumstances in which she has been placed.  These beliefs and desires are shared by an enormous number of religious believers, and not only Christians.  They would be politically problematic if Palin claimed that she knows God's plans, that when she prays God gives her specific instructions about how she should do her job, or that her faith dictates a political program that she is unwilling to disclose.  (Even if she believes her faith requires some political stances--how could it not?--that is hardly a problem as long as she is open about her politics.  Voters who don't like pro-life candidates can vote against them; the religious or philosophical underpinnings of the relevant candidate's stance shouldn't be dispositive.)  But I haven't seen or heard her come close to making any of those claims.

In one talk that Charlie Gibson quoted misleadingly, she made nearly the opposite point:  that religious believers should pray not that God would be on our nation's side in wartime, but that our nation would be on the side of a just God--that we would fight for good ends, and use the right means to achieve them.  Lincoln said as much, as Palin rightly noted in answering Gibson's question.  Pretty scary guy, that Lincoln.

If an overwhelmingly secular press treats religious beliefs like those as disqualifying in a candidate for political office, a great many Americans will be effectively cast in the role of non-citizens.  I hope that isn't the view most of my non-believing friends take.  If it is, I'm going to have to rethink my own voting practices.

Obviously, many of us on both sides of America's ongoing cultural divide have gotten this question wrong in the past.  (I'm sure I have.)  This might be a good time for all of us to take a deep breath, think about what kind of political culture we want--and commit to treating those who think differently about the world with respect.  In this campaign, that would represent a marked change.

http://www.law.upenn.edu/blogs/dskeel/archives/2008/09/sarah_palins_faith_and_mine--s.html

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: September 17, 2008, 07:52:36 AM »
Pretty scary guy, that Lincoln.

==================================
Are you implying that Lincoln was NOT scary?

Perhaps a history review is in order.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: September 17, 2008, 08:13:23 AM »
Lincoln scared you?

Was it his proclivity to free slaves?

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: September 17, 2008, 08:38:21 AM »
I would think that the scary part about Lincoln was the fact that his election triggered the Civil War, which was a decidedly catastrophic event. I am thinking that the election of John Bell (the Constitutional Union candidate) or even Stephen Douglas (the Northern Democrat) might have avoided said war.

And that would have been a good thing.

not to mention less scary.

hnumpah

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: September 17, 2008, 11:20:59 AM »
Why should she?

Didn't say she should, just asked if she had. I'm sure everyone can form their own opinion on whether she should or not. Doesn't matter to me either way, because I wouldn't be voting for her ticket regardless whether she does or doesn't.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: September 17, 2008, 11:25:36 AM »
I would imagine that Palin should renounce soem of the wackier beliefs shown in that video for the same reason Obama denounced the wackier beliefs of his preacher,

The goal would be to assure the public that if it votes for her, it is not voting for a wacko.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: September 17, 2008, 11:56:24 AM »
I would imagine that Palin should renounce soem of the wackier beliefs shown in that video for the same reason Obama denounced the wackier beliefs of his preacher,

The goal would be to assure the public that if it votes for her, it is not voting for a wacko.

If I'm not mistaken, didn't she drop out of that church a few years ago (ie, she didn't wait for it to become politically expedient...)?

Edit: Just looked it up, she dropped out of that church 6 years ago.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2008, 11:59:36 AM by Amianthus »
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

hnumpah

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: September 17, 2008, 12:17:34 PM »
...and commit to treating those who think differently about the world with respect.

Figure the odds. Just look around in here and you'll see that doesn't happen.

As I've said before, I have no problem with anyone's religious beliefs, up to a point. When those beliefs might affect that person's world view as president or vice president of this country, then I pay attention, and if I feel those beliefs are liable to interfere with their rational performance of those duties, then of course I take issue with them. If you don't believe they are problematical, then don't.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: September 17, 2008, 12:43:42 PM »
If I'm not mistaken, didn't she drop out of that church a few years ago (ie, she didn't wait for it to become politically expedient...)?

Edit: Just looked it up, she dropped out of that church 6 years ago.

==================================================
Perhaps it was simply politically expedient 6 years ago.

I still won't vote for her because I disagree with her on pretty much every issue that matters these days.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: September 17, 2008, 12:59:24 PM »
Perhaps it was simply politically expedient 6 years ago.

Not likely. That was after she left her position as Mayor, and years before she ran for Governor.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: September 17, 2008, 01:01:58 PM »
What about her stand on Creationism?

What does she believe and how does that apply to her thoughts as to what should be done about the Evolution vs. Creationism issue?