Author Topic: The politics of personal destruction  (Read 719 times)

MissusDe

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
The politics of personal destruction
« on: September 18, 2008, 01:12:00 PM »
From Jay Nordlinger at The Corner:

I am no violet, and I know that politics is an ugly business. But I must say: The attempted destruction of Gov. Sarah Palin ? by some of the worst forces in this country ? is making me sick. You? For most of our lives, we have heard squawks from the left about civil liberties. Also about the ?politics of personal destruction.? I know they hate her, politically and personally. But won?t some of them stand up against what is happening now? Just for the sake of a semblance of integrity?

And, by the way: The argument that Sarah Palin is less prepared than Barack Obama is laughable. It basically comes down to: ?I think Barack?s smarter than Sarah. And cooler ? less country.? A few days after the Republican convention ? before talking points really gelled ? I went on Irish radio (from the comfort of my home in New York). A man on the other end was not able to say that Obama had more experience. So he said, ?He has a more rounded intelligence.?

This was after he had heard one speech by Sarah Palin. And the obvious core of his objection was: She?s a conservative.

As usual, what is rotten is all the pretending: all the pretending about experience and censored books and whether she has traveled widely enough. If they?d only say, ?She?s a conservative, and that is intolerable,? that would be fine. It would even be welcome. But they have to go into all this other, and destroy the woman personally.

And once they stigmatize and caricature a person, that person usually stays stigmatized and caricatured ? as with Quayle, as with Bork. Reagan, somehow, managed to escape the noose. How about ?our Sarah?? In reality, she is a reformist governor and a heartwarming American success story. Will they ? you know: ?they? ? succeed in making her an extremist dunce?

Stay tuned . . .

http://corner.nationalreview.com/post/?q=MTc2NDZkNzg0NzZmZmYyYWZlYzE0ZjU4ODJkNWQ0YTA=

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: The politics of personal destruction
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2008, 03:05:28 PM »
Excellent Post, Miss De, and good to seeyas     :)
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle