Author Topic: Where's all the "disenfranchised voters"?  (Read 4706 times)

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Where's all the "disenfranchised voters"?
« on: November 09, 2006, 01:51:14 PM »
In 2000, '02 & '04, we had widespread cries of voter disenfranchisement, voter suppression, voter intimidation (minus any serious evidence of such of course), and the mainscream media played it up weak after week, month after month.  In '06, we had a plethora of razor edge races, arguably significantly more than the last 3 elections combined, pretty much all of them going in the favor of Dems, and .................. silence regarding any of the above claims. 

What happened?  Oh yea that's right, if Republicans win, it had to have been stolen, but if Dems win, then all is fine in the land of milk & honey
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: Where's all the "disenfranchised voters"?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2006, 01:55:45 PM »
Tuesday morning I was inspired to write a diary at DailyKos detailing my morning and the good experience I had voting because there were so many diaries detailing nightmare voting situations.

The story of suppressed voters continues just not in the limelight.

Personally, I think we'll hear more and more about it after the 1st of the year because I think touchscreens are done.  Too many don't trust them.  Like me.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2006, 02:02:42 PM »
Personally, I think we'll hear more and more about it after the 1st of the year because I think touchscreens are done.  Too many don't trust them.  Like me.

They would be fine if they just took my advice.

Use the touchscreens to get the vote. Then have the system print a card with your voting choices on it. You can then verify that your vote is correct, and drop the card into a locked box on your way out of the polling place. If a recount is needed the cards are the official votes, not what's recorded in the machines.

This way, a voter can be assured that his vote is really what he / she intended. If they can't read, that's another issue.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

_JS

• Salaires legers. Chars lourds.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2006, 02:08:13 PM »
Oh dear, are we already being victimised by the media and the Democrats?

You must have an endless supply of victim cards, Sirs.
I smell something burning, hope it's just my brains.
They're only dropping peppermints and daisy-chains
   So stuff my nose with garlic
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster
   Tell me lies about Vietnam.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2006, 02:09:44 PM »
You must have an endless supply of victim cards, Sirs.

I have an endless democrat supply to use, Js
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

_JS

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2006, 02:15:44 PM »
Keep throwing them down Sirs. I'm sure someone will take pity on you for all the abuse you've received from the evil media lords and the horrid "liberal elite" that control the nation.

Keep reading Ann Coulter, Town Hall, and listen to Hannity and O'Reilly. Stay tuned to DDR1...erm, I mean Fox News. Watch as the country is destroyed by the evil godless liberal multicultural Harvard-educated elitists.

But pity...that will come in handy...
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2006, 02:24:32 PM »
Keep throwing them down Sirs. I'm sure someone will take pity on you for all the abuse you've received from the evil media lords and the horrid "liberal elite" that control the nation....But pity...that will come in handy...

Who's looking for pity?  I simply take pleasure in demonstrating over and over again the overt double standard that exists in the mainscream media.  You may take it or leave it, as far as I'm concerned.  You obviously wish to stick your head in the sand and leave it, so long as the left reaps the benefits.  If you notice, I'm not making any claims of voter disenfranchisement, voter suppression, voter intimidation.  Simply making note of how silent any claims are being pushed in the media, despite a whole horde of election contests that were decided by 1% or less, that pretty much Dems all won.  In some cases, by only a few thousand votes.  In the last 3 election cycles there were wall to wall front page stories of such, that the Republicans so happened to win.  Remember that "duck"?

_JS

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2006, 02:41:17 PM »
Remember that "duck"?

Sirs, I stopped paying attention to that "duck" after you posted a racist article and then circumvented the globe and tied yourself in a semantic pretzel to try and claim that the author was saying the exact opposite of what his words said in black & white in the very article you posted. You lost so much "duck is a duck" credibility with that backwards swan dive of bizarre reasoning that you might have to start obsessing about single cell organisms and start calling a "microbe a microbe."

Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2006, 02:53:11 PM »

Use the touchscreens to get the vote. Then have the system print a card with your voting choices on it. You can then verify that your vote is correct, and drop the card into a locked box on your way out of the polling place. If a recount is needed the cards are the official votes, not what's recorded in the machines.

This way, a voter can be assured that his vote is really what he / she intended. If they can't read, that's another issue.

This is a brilliant idea.  I would totally trust the counts if this was the process.

Would you mind if I sent this idea around?

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2006, 03:04:04 PM »
This is a brilliant idea.  I would totally trust the counts if this was the process.

Would you mind if I sent this idea around?

Feel free. I don't consider it brilliant, seems just like common sense to me.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2006, 03:08:06 PM »
I would totally trust the counts if this was the process.

Oh yeah, in terms of trust, this system is easily verified. If you put some identifier on the card that shows which voting machine the vote came from and the time it was recorded, you could run batches of cards through a seperate system, and verify the totals from the cards against the totals from the touch screen machine they came from. Any discrepancies can then be isolated to specific machines and times to make voter fraud easier to find / track / prove.

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2006, 03:09:24 PM »
The simplicity of it is brilliant.

Wonder why that hasn't been done?  Too many people like to steal elections?

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2006, 03:11:32 PM »
Sirs, I stopped paying attention to that "duck" ...

Well, that explains it

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2006, 03:14:02 PM »
The simplicity of it is brilliant.

I always like to use the KISS principle. Which is why I distrust / discount most conspiracy theories - too complex.

Wonder why that hasn't been done?  Too many people like to steal elections?

People like "flash" - it's not flashy enough to sell to people who buy voting machines.

Lanya

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2006, 04:08:40 PM »
I don't  like flash.  I like knowing I can unscrew something with a  nailfile or pry something up with bandage scissors and my shoe.    (Comes from being a woman, deprived of tools, lol.)
Great idea, Ami.
Planned Parenthood is America’s most trusted provider of reproductive health care.